• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
drdvice

30Th Birthday Watch

Hello all,

I am relatively new to watches, although have been doing quite a lot of research into watchmaking as I had been asked to make a watch case for someone. That project has since been cancelled but my interest in watches remains.

My 30th birthday is approaching and my family have kindly offered to buy me a watch.

I have been looking into Steinhart's and Sinn's as well as others and seem to be drawn towards the Fliegers and Chrono's.

I have a budget of around £1000 and would be more than willing to go second hand, what would you all recommend? Bearing in mind that is something I will want to keep forever and will hopefully be the start of a collection!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Before anyone else says it Omega Speedmaster! Lots to choose from with different styles, but would definately be used for this money

New, Glycine is worth a look at as well as the Sinn range. You might even spot something in the Longines range that suits too.

Importantly don't rush the decision but instead enjoy the buying experience. You might end up spending more or less than expected, so if you do really splash the cash (and a grand isn't change BTW), you might look for an IWC Fliegerchronograph

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I would very much like a speedmaster, in fact tried on a mkV today but dont really like the chunkier case. Plus the guy was asking over 2k for it.

I've been scouring fleabay for one but am not that trusting of most of the auctions.

I was looking at

eBay item number:

400595466228 for instance.

It looks legit but I guess one wouldn't really know until its bought and taken to an expert!

I was thinking of heading down to the Strand on the weekend and see if Austin Kaye had anything to offer ( other that what is on their website)

I think my max limit would be 1200 as will be putting in half the cash.

If you are in London head for Burlington Arcade too, and you will find a range of cracking watches with eyewatering prices. :eek:

That speedy looks fine, as does the seller. £1200 might not get it though.

There are also watch fairs you might want to try to see a large variety of used watches. The next one is in Birmingham on Sunday, but they have them in Uxbridge too. Google watch and clock fairs uxbridge and you will find them

I'd be inclined to have a look into birth year watches- you may be able to find a nice Omega in your price range.

I'm still looking for one from '83- there's something intangibly nice about the idea of wearing something that is the same age as you somehow..

I'd agree with Speedmaster all the way. A nice Moon Watch will run you about £1500 though, so out of budget. A Mark 2 or Mark 4.5 will sneak in budget, but they are bigger and heavier and lack the purity of the original. There are automatic date versions too, but they tend to be smaller.

I can If you are thinking vintage, I can suggest the Speedsonic? It's a Speedy using the f300hz tuning fork movement, dating from mid 70's (if that fits with your birth year). 41.5mm excluding crown, but doesn't wear as huge. I have this one:

PA180067_zps5fcaf6c4.jpg

Just so happens there's one on the sales section here for a tad over your budget (not mine, I should add)... you just need to get to 50 posts, but don't speedpost, it's kind of frowned upon. :D

IMG_00241.jpg

A vintage Rolex is a nice watch this one is 30 years old ,i wear it most days

Please tell me where I can get one of these for £1k!!! :eek:

IMG_00241.jpg

put a grand down and the rest on tik, get resourceful

Edited by ollyhock

I was looking at an Omega Seamaster from 1983 (

eBay item number:

231068679828) However I think I would regret not holding out for a Speedmaster.

Going to try a Mk2 at lunch time at a place near work, just to get a feel. Maybe it would be best to hold out and find a speedy pro from 1983, although that will no doubt take a while!

IMG_00241.jpg

put a grand down and the rest on tik, get resourceful

Not sure the 710 would appreciate me taking a loan for a watch, however nice it is! :)

710 = significant other, of a female persuasion. I can't remember exactly, but there's a joke that uses this as the punchline. Sure someone will be along shortly with the full text!

710........A humerous/affectionate term for the wife/GF which revolves around the old joke about the blonde who goes into a garage and tells the bemused mechanic that the '710' is missing from her car. The mechanic can find nothing wrong, so he asks her to show him on another engine...whereupon she points to the upside down oil filler cap and says "There...that's what's missing from mine!'

Watchpic.jpg

:wink2:

710........A humerous/affectionate term for the wife/GF which revolves around the old joke about the blonde who goes into a garage and tells the bemused mechanic that the '710' is missing from her car. The mechanic can find nothing wrong, so he asks her to show him on another engine...whereupon she points to the upside down oil filler cap and says "There...that's what's missing from mine!'

Watchpic.jpg

Ha ha thanks!

To the original poster...........In the price range you have specified i would recommend only one make and range........Omega Seamaster Professional .

IMG_00241.jpg

Mine says Hi!....though a bit younger (2002 vintage...)

029-2.jpg

...and have to agree with the suggestion of a SMP...

059-1.jpg

Edited by Roger the Dodger

IMG_00241.jpg

Mine says Hi!....though a bit younger (2002 vintage...)

029-2.jpg

...and have to agree with the suggestion of a SMP...

059-1.jpg

they haven't changed much have they! i would really love a 1675 with really creamed up tritium.

710........A humerous/affectionate term for the wife/GF which revolves around the old joke about the blonde who goes into a garage and tells the bemused mechanic that the '710' is missing from her car. The mechanic can find nothing wrong, so he asks her to show him on another engine...whereupon she points to the upside down oil filler cap and says "There...that's what's missing from mine!' Watchpic.jpg

Sounds like something my wife would do !!

Before anyone else says it Omega Speedmaster!

Get an Omega speedmaster.... :tongue2:

If you fancy something vintage... Tissot navigator/ seastar

Save yourself a few quid and get one of these?

4fbcb6dfdfe0a6e8e32240f8151c112f_zpscaf5e56f.jpg

To the original poster...........In the price range you have specified i would recommend only one make and range........Omega Seamaster Professional .

Can you get a proper Moon watch for 1K?