• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
ollyhock

Citizen Autozilla Vs Rolex Deep Sea

Ok from a practical and "what the watch was designed for " point of view i have looked at both watches and decided that the Citizen is actually the better dive watch.

IMG_01481.jpg

Both watches are substantially well built but the citizen is made of a harder material ( titanium alloy mix, Duratect) and at 8k retail the Rolex is hardly a tool watch, this is where the citizen wins hands down.

both have saphire glass and i think both models are rated to ISO 6425, i know the citizen is.

IMG_01461.jpg

IMG_01371.jpg

The ciziten is a watch you can use without fear, its a fraction of the cost of a deep sea and is a lot more practical. The Rolex is a great show piece but is actually quite uncomfortable to wear and is really top heavy, the quality is fantastic but so is the citizen to be fair.

On the whole its horses for courses and you either want to impress or get the job done, for me the Citizen wins every time and you could buy 10 for the price of the rolex

Edited by ollyhock

Those are two very handsome watches you have there. But I do think it's a bit eccentric to put them together in a watch forum review / match up thread.

I'm extremely envious of that DSSD. Absolutely beautiful.

I love the Autozilla, it's got everything you need in a dive watch, great value for money ( I have one )... The DS is a very capable watch too...it's whatever value you place on 'the brand'.... To a lot of people it's worth 7k extra, but you won't be getting a much better dive watch...

Very nice review, however if we are looking at it from a practical view, both watches are pretty much redundant thanks to the advent of dive computers.

I suppose the REAL purpose of the Rolex is brand recognition ("snob value"), in which case it beats the Citizen hands down.

Very nice review, however if we are looking at it from a practical view, both watches are pretty much redundant thanks to the advent of dive computers.

I suppose the REAL purpose of the Rolex is brand recognition ("snob value"), in which case it beats the Citizen hands down.

I wish I had a pound for every time I have read that tired old cliche on here :groan:

i cant remember who said it on here, but they said the rolex was probably the cheapest watch on the planet.... you could buy one for 4500quid and five years later sell it for the same. now me being a tight git that appeals to me :thumbup: :thumbup:

I wish I had a pound for every time I have read that tired old cliche on here :groan:

Oh come on John, doesn't "snob value" make you think of some of the pretentious and entitled aristocrat Rolex owners on the forum? Such as Mr. Bond. :D

Later,

William

Oh come on John, doesn't "snob value" make you think of some of the pretentious and entitled aristocrat Rolex owners on the forum? Such as Mr. Bond. :D

Later,

William

I wondered when I would get a mention

:lol: :lol:

Both do a job maybe in the same way as a Skoda gets you from A to B just the same as a Rolls Royce but they are a world apart and I know which one I'd choose.

:grin:

I would rather have the Rolex as well, but in the context of the opening post, I don't think it's a better dive watch....

I would rather have the Rolex as well, but in the context of the opening post, I don't think it's a better dive watch....

I don't dive so I'm interested in your thoughts behind the comment and as already said does anybody actually use a watch anymore given the current tech that's available ??

:)

the same could be said about driving , catch a bus :)

...i'd also take the rolex tho...... so i could sell it and buy a glashutte.

The ciziten is a watch you can use without fear, its a fraction of the cost of a deep sea and is a lot more practical.

If someone buys a Rolex to use as a dive watch, why would they have any trepidation about using it?

Later,

William

Edited by William_Wilson

I don't dive so I'm interested in your thoughts behind the comment and as already said does anybody actually use a watch anymore given the current tech that's available ??

I certainly wear a dive watch when diving, but rarely use it as a essential part of the kit, but both these watches are marketed as Professional hard as nails dive watches. Both will perform as good as each other in a as a dive watch, but the Citizen has a Orange minute hand which will be more legable when using it as a dive timer, being Titainium I suspect it will be lighter too, which will be a asset, however I suspect it would be taller which isn't, ( i dont know the dimentions of either but most of the bulk of the Citizen is height ) but in saying that most dive computers are bulky things.... Both have He valves , both have massive depth ratings so I just can't see how the Rolex could be better than the Citizen if your looking at them objectively purely as a divers watch, the bezel assembly on the Citizen is deliberately 'self dismantable' for cleaning post dive too ( that's the black release clip on the side of the watch) ....

I certainly wear a dive watch when diving, but rarely use it as a essential part of the kit, but both these watches are marketed as Professional hard as nails dive watches. Both will perform as good as each other in a as a dive watch, but the Citizen has a Orange minute hand which will be more legable when using it as a dive timer, being Titainium I suspect it will be lighter too, which will be a asset, however I suspect it would be taller which isn't, ( i dont know the dimentions of either but most of the bulk of the Citizen is height ) but in saying that most dive computers are bulky things.... Both have He valves , both have massive depth ratings so I just can't see how the Rolex could be better than the Citizen if your looking at them objectively purely as a divers watch, the bezel assembly on the Citizen is deliberately 'self dismantable' for cleaning post dive too ( that's the black release clip on the side of the watch) ....

Fair comment, one other area of interest might be quality and longevity given that in general Rolex already have a reputation of going the distance. Will the Citizen still be going in 25 or 30 years ??

I dont see why not, it's a tried and tested common Myota movement that can be serviced by any old watchmender with no special tools needed etc... There are a previous generation of these Pro Ti series ( 300m 800m 1300m ) from the early mid 90s that are still going strong....

The ciziten is a watch you can use without fear, its a fraction of the cost of a deep sea and is a lot more practical.

If someone buys a Rolex to use as a dive watch, why would they have any trepidation about using it?

Later,

William

the thread was to merely suggest that real divers are more likely wear the Citizen than the 8k Rolex for the job that it was intended. After one dive the Rolex will have banged up against the boat, tanks, rocks and the like whereas the Citizen will do exactly the same but only cost a fraction of the Rolex and it is far harder material.

Of course the Rolex will do it nobody is denying that, but why would you bash up a 8k watch, thus making the Citizen the better all round dive watch.

I work offshore and in Africa and most people wear the Autozilla because of its light weight properties and almost impossible to scratch, man the Rolex scratches like hell! as do Breitling and Omega.Thats not a slur its just a fact, i love the Deep sea and my daily wearer at home is a vintage GMT but i wouldn't dream of wearing either if i thought i was doing a task which may scratch them and rob them of their value and beauty.

Its like using a Defender to go off road or a Porsche Cayenne, both will do it but which would you take

The Citizen isn't (as) aesthetically pleasing to me eye but the cost argument is an interesting one if you factor in depreciation/servicing/capital outlay etc. Does anyone know whether there are many professional divers who would need and use a Rolex? I'm still remembering the quote for a new strap in a post a week or so back....

The question originally posed was "which was the better dive watch of the two."

Clearly, given the factors mentioned above, that watch has to be the Citizen.

However, if you changed the question slightly and asked "which watch would you choose to take anywhere with you, sir, in your adventurous life. A life which might involve having to both dive and dine at the British Embassy on the same day?" To such a (different) question, you would choose the Rolex.

Somehow the beginning of Goldfinger would not have been quite as glamorous if 007 had, in his immaculate white dinner jacket, had glanced at his Citizen.

Later,

William

the thread was to merely suggest that real divers are more likely wear the Citizen than the 8k Rolex for the job that it was intended. After one dive the Rolex will have banged up against the boat, tanks, rocks and the like whereas the Citizen will do exactly the same but only cost a fraction of the Rolex and it is far harder material.

Of course the Rolex will do it nobody is denying that, but why would you bash up a 8k watch, thus making the Citizen the better all round dive watch.

I work offshore and in Africa and most people wear the Autozilla because of its light weight properties and almost impossible to scratch, man the Rolex scratches like hell! as do Breitling and Omega.Thats not a slur its just a fact, i love the Deep sea and my daily wearer at home is a vintage GMT but i wouldn't dream of wearing either if i thought i was doing a task which may scratch them and rob them of their value and beauty.

Its like using a Defender to go off road or a Porsche Cayenne, both will do it but which would you take

I see your point... but I think you are applying a similar fallacy of reason to that, that suggests the Rolex must be better because it is a Rolex. In your case, the fallacy that the Citizen must be better because though equal in performance it is cheaper.

In my case, I have no problem wearing my 1966 Seamaster 300 or my Seamaster GMT while working on my farm or in my auto shop, in fact these two watches have served as my daily wear watches for several years now. I have a Seiko SKX007 but I have only worn it when going out.

Anyway, I think everybody's opinion on this issue is equally right and wrong simultaneously.

Later,

William