• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Watch Mark Up / Likely Wiggle Room For Haggling?

I've been looking at G-Shock GW-A1100 whilst in Singapore.

The official stores obviously want top dollar but SkyWatches do them a bit cheaper.

When I was there the other day the lady started with a price higher than the website to account for local tax but the price started going down as she was obviously trying to start a bout of haggling.

My obvious first thought is that I could go home and order from the website, not pay tax and take a chance on not getting hit for import duties in the UK (G-Shocks look fairly unassuming so tend to be ok). Since they do free postage I can knock a few dollars off the tax free web site price for collection in person but beyond that I have no idea what the likely dealer mark up would be / likely wiggle room.

I can't generally be bothered with haggling but having an idea of a realistic range would help - any ideas?

(Web site price is £340, full list is £450)

:cheers:

Rich.

Just looked at a very well known internet selling place and they want £450.

I am shocked, when I think of what else could be bought for that kind of money.........each to their own eh?

If we all had the same taste in watches there would only be one to choose from and nothing to compare and talk about.

With a list price of $450, the shop is probably paying between £225 and £270. Obviously they need to make a margin so you could try starting at $300 as an opening offer but you need to set your maximum firmly in mind - maybe the web price of £350 less say £10 for the free postage.

Worth having a look at sites like creation and dutyfree island to see what discounts they are offering on this or similar models.

Good luck with the haggling.

With a list price of $450, the shop is probably paying between £225 and £270. Obviously they need to make a margin so you could try starting at $300 as an opening offer but you need to set your maximum firmly in mind - maybe the web price of £350 less say £10 for the free postage.

Worth having a look at sites like creation and dutyfree island to see what discounts they are offering on this or similar models.

Good luck with the haggling.

The shop will be paying well less . The mark up on watches and jewellery is HUGE

Just looked at a very well known internet selling place and they want £450.

I am shocked, when I think of what else could be bought for that kind of money.........each to their own eh?

If we all had the same taste in watches there would only be one to choose from and nothing to compare and talk about.

TIMEX? :rofl2: :yes: