• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

"through A Glass Darkly"

In my examination of watches and advertisements where details of the products are given, there seems to be a plethora of watch glass materials used. Firstly there are acrylic and plastic types - which I have de-scratched with brasso quite successfully, and then there are what I would categorize as varieties of glass - including plain glass, mineral glass, sapphire glass, sapphire crystal, and even the term "sapphire" used alone which surely has nothing to do with the gemstone of the same name. Finally there are proprietorial terms such as "Hardlex," whatever that is.

My question is that when faced with the option of buying a watch with a scratched face, are there ways to clean and de-scratch all the various materials used to make watch glasses, and do it at home? I have plenty of patience but no machinary for polishing glass, so a hand-executed system would be great. The plastic types of watch glass seem pretty amenable to the metal polish treatment, and I have managed to de-scratch some quite nice old plastic glassed watches. However, I am not sure how easy the glass varieties are to deal with. Any suggestions please.

Oops, I see that someone else has already had a go at obtaining information on this topic quite recently, so I apologise for repeating a similar question. Still, there are always people out there discovering new and easier ways to do things. Also, I would like to know what "Hardlex" is and what the difference between glass and mineral glass is - surely all glass is "mineral" glass.

acrylics are quite easy to polish as you know but to abrade away a scratch from real glass i wouldnt attempt it without power tools, you would not be just remelting the plastic into a cohesive film you would be actually taking glass away from the lense, i dont think it would be impossible just a very tiresome and very very long job

I have had some success with cleaning pocket watch glasses and some watch glasses which are lightly scratched with brasso and rubbing the glass with cardboard, then going on to use polywatch for the second stage. It is long and labourious task but on old pocket watches with bevelled glass you just cant buy them any more.............