• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Custom Seiko

johnp

Regarding resale value - I don't think it's an issue with a relatively inexpensive watch (such as a Seiko diver) but if it's an expensive watch then I think resale value is important. After all it's a lot worse buying a watch for £2000 and then wanting to sell it and having to accept half that a couple of years later - this happened to a friend of mine quite recently unfortunately.

I can agree with that.

Sorry.................I just don't get this customising lark at all. I just don't see the point of it, and I like the O & W original dials a lot for example.

Whats there not to understand: it is not about the customizing, it's about seeing and buying a watch that you think is greatlooking and oh...happens to be customised.

smile.gif

Gregor

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Griff,

dont get me wrong, I just like the discussion, I dont mean to offend!

What I mean is:

we are all on this forum because we like watches,

we all have different tastes,

there are many many watches available,

some are customised,

what it is about, is having a watch that gives you joy (sorry my english fails me here, cant say it any different)

and whats wrong with it if it's a customised watch that gives that joy?

It's not like a rembrandt was customised biggrin.gif

Gregor smile.gif

Watches seem to ape other things in life, lets take cars...

Classic cars shouldnt be modified - who needs to pimp proper old clean automotice sculpture? sometimes you can make a nice hybrid but it isnt generally well liked by the originality brigade but if it suits you then why not... On rare and expensive cars resale would most likely suffer but who cares if you stick modern wheels on your Triump Spitfire? Like dials theyre removable....

Modern cars - why do boy racers feel that the scoops n skirts on cheapo Corsa's etc makes them look better? but hey the boy racers do and they devote whole magazines to it! Resale to other like minded individuals seems fine! I wouldnt want one personally and find them distasteful and think modding should be so suspension and engine etc but thats my preferance....

It has to be said that in cars, watches and other walks of life that the original designers may not always have got it right, or had to build to a price. Perhaps by making some changes a person can get the watch they always wanted or even have a bit of fun creating something they can call their own. Stuff resale value.

Personally I wouldnt want to ruin an excellent and immaculate vinatge watch but one thats battered and not working and needs a new dial and hands seems fair game if I felt I could make something I would treasure.

I have to say that in the car world people get shirty about originality way too much and by applying the same logic with watches you could even say that a swap to a better original dial would be away from original...

Anyway, if someone wants to have a play with a freely available cheap'ish watch and it makes them happy then i, for one, wont be offended and may even commend them on their taste if they do something innovative and classy.

these days even woman customise themselves... tongue.gif

(I must admit..usually I prefer original/natural)

but with these seiko's...I now have both, the original and the customised! biggrin.gif

So I'm a happy guy!

Gregor

(I will soon post pictures to show the beauty of the Yao Monster!)

I was only looking for advice, some strong views expressed but it's still getting modified.VERY much like the classic car scene.Funny that lots of people who change the strap of a watch don't realise they are customising. JohnP

This reminds me of those people that buy a particular car, e.g. a Citroen Saxo, then they remove all the Citreon identifying badges etc etc etc., in an attempt to totally remove it's identity. Then they add smoke glass windows and so on.

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????........................I just don't get it!! blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

Edited by Griff

love the BM! One thing that I dont like about the BM/OM is the bezel as to me (beware my oppinion is about to be aired, look away if youre a fan of the original BM/OM bezel!) it looks a bit 80s'/90s TAG... which I (and its my personal pref) just dont find attractive... Im assuming the black is PVD and the case has been toned down with a blast. Nice. IF you ever want to get rid of it, pls drop me an email.

This reminds me of those people that buy a particular car, e.g. a Citroen Saxo, then they remove all the Citreon identifying badges etc etc etc., in an attempt to totally remove it's identity. Then they add smoke glass windows and so on.

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????........................I just don't get it!! blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

I wonder what the watch equiv is of buying the base model car (ie. BMW 316 when they did them) and then removing the badges so that in-the mind-of-the-owner people will think its the top of the range model?