• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
cookdamo

State Of The Collection

So after a couple years of trading, flipping and purchasing (some may say collecting... but I doubt I can be classed as a collector) I've found 3 watches that tick all the boxes. I've gone through vintage, modern, pilots, divers, big brand, micro brand, coloured dials, coloured straps, and have finally figured out what I like. It's taken 21 watches over the past 2 years but I now realise that;

- I only need 3 watches one active, one casual, one office... but they need to be fairly flexible.

- If a watch isn't getting worn it's gone.

- I like Arabic numerals

- I need a brand name, can't stand a sterile dial.

- Has got to be stainless steel & close to 42mm dia.

- I like black & white... but a little colour is ok.. but not on straps.

- Leather is best, bracelets can be very good & natos are crap (imo).

- I do not need to own a chrono.

- Automatics are great, but so is quartz... took me a while to come to terms with this.

- Swiss or Japanese it makes no difference to me.

Therefore-

temporary_zps37249d82.jpg

A Seiko SRP043

A Tag WAH1011 Formula 1 Grande Date

A Oris BC3 Sportsman

All great watches IMO... the problem is I look into my watch box and can't decide which to wear.

Thanks

You obviously have similar taste in watches as myself Damien. As well as the current Spork, I've owned many a TAG Heuer and Oris. I had a similar model F1 to yours. And your watch 'collecting' habits seem very familiar as well.

I've tried collections varying in size from about 13/14 at most down to three. I don't think there is an ideal number or even an optimum number based on what you have. There's always something else on the horizon and usually one in your collection will fall out of favour at some point, even in a stable of three.

Nice three though.

Nice I like the tag heuer I own the same watch but the gulf edition my favorite and the oris comes a very close second imo

Well its the ORIS for me i,m addicted to them but at the moment i havn,t a single one in my box . i wonder what the new year will bring ?????

Nice!

Yet to own a Spork - maybe that should be my new years resolution!

I've never been a fan of the Tag F1, but I have to say the black/white looks the best of the bunch. I don't recall seeing one before either.

I don't think there is an ideal number or even an optimum number based on what you have. There's always something else on the horizon and usually one in your collection will fall out of favour at some point, even in a stable of three.

The problem is that you have more room in your watch box so surely you can't stick to three.

I know I'll probably move 1 or 2 of these on, even now I've got my eye on a Sinn... and I'd love to try a Legend Driver. But through 2 years of reading & posting, through forum & ebay, through trial and error, I now know what I like, agreed this might change but only time will tell.

Not sure if I'll ever need more than 3... I'm sure at times I'll own more than 3... but I think 3 is my magic number.

Edited by cookdamo

I do like the oris ,out of interest can you tell what size the case is please?

42mm without the crown

Edited by cookdamo

As others have said it's a great trio , Big fan of the Spork but that Oris is ticking all the boxes for me , i really like that watch.