• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

"porsche 901 Inspires Watch"

I was today trawling through the latest issue of my classic car magazine when I came across a short piece about a new watch by the Paul Stephens' Design Studio. The watch is designed to follow the Porsche instrument style and has a Swiss mechanical movement which apparently "dates back to the era of the original car."

And now to the watch itself, which is a pretty dreary affair as far as expensive quality watches go. Forgive me for describing it in words but at least, in this case, words will really suffice, and as yet I am struggling to learn how to upload photos to the Forum. The simple round face of the watch is black and the numbers and markers are green. There are only three arabic figures - for 12, 3 and 9, with the 6 position taken up by the term "901 edition". The hour and minute hands are simple white arrow shapes and the sweep is red. The case is gold (plated, I presume) and the bezel has a black inner ring to enliven it a bit. The strap is a sort of dark olive green shade and is in leather.

In considering this watch, and comparing it with its staggering price of £1625, I began to wonder how the classic car and watch worlds can so easily lose all sense of proportion. This watch has a Swiss mechanical movement, but what do they mean when they claim that the movement dates back to era of the original car. Surely, the actual movements used in these watches will not be genuine vintage movements. And even if they are, I have quite a few watches with Swiss mechanical movements, and they did not cost me £1625. And remember, this Porsche inspired watch has no calendar function or anything of real interest in engineering terms.

I am currently reading "The Inside Track" by Jake Humphrey, which is about the world of modern Formula 1 racing. The incredible sums of money spent by the different teams on their cars and their image is staggering, and apparently, staff of one team may even be required to all wear the same watch. I myself am much more interested in the early days of motor racing, before the Second World War, and I do find modern car racing somehow bland and full of hype as well as too much money sloshing around. This can also relate to the classic car market, which has known its financial ups and downs

So now, back to the "Porsche" watch. Porsche is one of the great names in sports car and racing history, and I suppose this watch is using that heritage to bump up the price - together with the old device of making it a limited edition of 50. My advice to anyone considering the purchase of this watch to go out and buy and mount a genuine circular Porsche circular speedometer or rev counter and then, with the change, buy a decent quality watch to wear. There are plenty of watches out there which hark back to automobile dials.

I am writing my own reply to apologise to members for my short diatribe about Formula 1 in my topic posted immediately above.

Sometimes, we just "go off on one" when the timing is wrong and the content not quite as we would wish. On this occasion my main apology is for the fact that my topic posting coincided with the dreadful skiing accident and subsequent serious injuries to Michael Schumacher, a driver whom I greatly respect.

IO do have serious issues concerning Formula 1 but I will post these at another time - hopefully when Michael Schumacher is on the road to a full recovery. I haven't heard the latest news about his state of health since last night.

I wonder if when they are under contract to a sponsor if they can wear another brand of watch or not. I seem to remember some hooha when a footballer wore boots from another manufacturer.