• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

Analogue Chronographs - Why?

@ William_Wilson

That last one, I think is really good on the eye.

I agree. There are a few variants of this one on the forum right now. I think the only thing lacking is the 1/5th of a second indices.

Later,

William

why, erm ... why not ???

cant bloody stand chronographs meself !

thankfully we all don't think like me :lol:

if i wanted to time something seriously i'd buid somthing better than a wristwatch that may or may not be started within a decent slice of a second of the actual event and then perhaps keep decent time over a period of minutes or hours which may or may not be stopped within that same slice of time. but that's just the engineer in me. :tongue2:

as i said why not ? perhaps why is the wrong question ...

some of 'em look ok, but i couldn't wear 'em, but then that's just me :D

It turns out I have 15 chronos, I had no idea it was that many.

:eek: Snap, I've just counted mine - 15

I'd no idea either

Why? I would ask why their has to be a point!

My sentiment entirely ,

if thats what you like to wear and like the look of does one need a reason to wear one ? personally I think not .

I like the Valjoux 7750 chrono movement for the quality of the movement as well as the looks but that is just my personal choice , no functional reasoning behind it .

I like the Valjoux 7750 chrono movement for the quality of the movement as well as the looks but that is just my personal choice , no functional reasoning behind it .

I agree, in fact this one has become my daily wearer since I got it back from Roy......

10885943734_5666eae8a7_o.jpg

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and for telling me how to boil an egg accurately - if only I liked soft boiled eggs. I must admit that I always thought the sweep hand on a normal watch was quite adequate for timing a steak or an egg and certainly, I use the sweep hand when timing various things. I do now, however, appreciate that some of you do use a chronograph for what it was intended for and of course, I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings. Nevertheless, good on you William of William_Wilson though for a dose of common sense in the last sentence of your reply, that chronographs in this day and age are"ridiculous toys purchased by fools." I would never dare to express it so boldly but then you have been a member for far longer than I have. Odd though that you do picture a number of chronographs in your reply - are you a secret chronograph hunter too?

I must give special thanks to DeeDubya who managed to get a photograph of the chronograph that started this topic in the first place - that utterly hideous watch by Scalfaro that attempts to link historically with the beautiful Ferrari 250 GTO. I'm afraid I won't be visiting the Scalfaro website to see what other "editions" they produce. What does impress me as someone who has repeatedly tried and failed to get a photograph onto the Forum from Photobucket is how so man y of you have produced great pictures of really nice chronographs, with the only one I am not too keen on (apart from the Scalfaro monstrosity) being the Casio G-Shock.

I probably have the same problem as many Forum members in that although a plain-faced three-hand watch is my absolute benchmark for the basic design of an ideal wristwatch, I cannot but like the traditional subdial chronograph style when kit is done well, and I too respect the miniature engineering that goes into the best chronographs both past and present.

. That being said, in this day and age, chronographs are ridiculous toys purchased by fools.

invicta83.jpg

Later,

William

Well, it could be said that some certainly are :lol:

Sorry William, I just couldn`t resist :P

I must give special thanks to DeeDubya who managed to get a photograph of the chronograph that started this topic in the first place - that utterly hideous watch by Scalfaro that attempts to link historically with the beautiful Ferrari 250 GTO.

It's no biggie - both images were linked direct from the Scalfaro website. Hopefully they will disappear in due course, though I can't believe there can be 250 blind fools out there, with more money than sense and such bad taste, who will end up buying one.

Edited by DeeDubya

Up until the end of 2011 (and only just into my watch 'journey'), I didn't like the over-complication of multiple dials and hands - it was strictly three hands only for me.

The hunt for a birth-year piece ended with a MKII speedy, which ignited my passion for '70s styling and an appreciation for the different movement types and racing heritage with some of the brands.

Have I ever used the chronograph function, other than for making sure they still work and reset to the right position? Yes, but only once for a drunken 'Ferrero Rocher' challenge; but that's another story altogether :D

This is the current line up....

3_zps377e3f43.png

4_zps7d85213e.png

Sicura_zpse4256cee.jpg

2013 also saw a couple of other Heuers moved on (a barrel-cased Carerra, a Viceroy and a manual Autavia) and an Omega Chronostop.

. That being said, in this day and age, chronographs are ridiculous toys purchased by fools.

invicta83.jpg

Later,

William

Well, it could be said that some certainly are :lol:

Sorry William, I just couldn`t resist :P

Your comments have offended me deeply. The merits of this watch are obvious and plentiful.

Typing that just about killed me. :lol: It is an absolutely ridiculous watch. It was a somewhat expensive gag purchase... but it has a Valjoux 7750 in it. That's good? Right? Right? :D

Later,

William

Nevertheless, good on you William of William_Wilson though for a dose of common sense in the last sentence of your reply, that chronographs in this day and age are"ridiculous toys purchased by fools." I would never dare to express it so boldly but then you have been a member for far longer than I have. Odd though that you do picture a number of chronographs in your reply - are you a secret chronograph hunter too?

It is true, when you reach the category of Perpetual Mast... err... Perpetual Calendar you tend to be more forthcoming with your opinions.

I don't consciously seek out chronographs, but in this age of sad clones (which differ somewhat from sad clowns) of Submariner and Panerai dive watches, they do seem to stir some interest. :wink:

Later,

William

I love chronos - particularly mechanical ones. Here are mine:

Manual wind Poljot Strela

EE1C9AAB-CCF8-413C-AD4A-AC2AF66134F6_zpswjfo0nly.jpg

Automatic Heuer Montreal

BeFunky_P10303531jpg_zpsac80f421.jpg

Quartz Christopher Ward Malvern C3

CWL02.jpg

Nice CW, Lewis - mine says hi, along with the Cauny and the Leonidas. Foolish, my eye and Betty Martin!

c3cauny_zps8ec8a0ab.jpg

leonidas9_zpsaea95309.jpg

I think chronos are pretty but I've never understood why alarm watches aren't more popular. Particularly as an alarm is more useful.

Unless boiling eggs.

Actually, nope, I could use it then too.

I sold this one a few years ago and I could puke thinking about it!

I should think so, that is one seriously nice complication ! :o

Have I ever used the chronograph function, other than for making sure they still work and reset to the right position? Yes, but only once for a drunken 'Ferrero Rocher' challenge; but that's another story altogether :D

Please tell me that you used the Tachymetre to calculate how many FerreroRochers you could stuff in an hour.

Reading this post has made me remember why I don't post pictures of myself wear a watch. The lack of my arm hair, which is clearly abundant in all other members of this forum would definitely dent my ego. Seriously though, someone has to complement Always Watching on coming up with another thought provoking post. Some of my favourite contributions of late have been made by Always Watching as they tend to come at things from a different angle and have great powers of description. Back to Chronographs. I'm embarrassed to say after reading this topic last night I used the Chrono function on my watch for the first time. I knew I bought it for a reason.

I never expected this much response to my question about chronographs - nor so many really nice pics to look at. I absolutely love lewjamben's Poljot Strela and the white-faced Christopher Ward models shown by lewjamben and AVO are also very nice. William, what were you thinking of when you decided to be brave enough to display that horrible Invicta chronograph? Luckily for you, there are a few other horrors illustrated by other members (in my modest opinion, of course) including that over-numbered gold and black Breitling posted by Simons194. As a final note to AVO, I would like to know the maker of the lovely two-subdial chrono you illustrate in your post

of 6 January. I also see (from ed335) that one of my favourite makes, Omega, clearly managed to cope with the seventies style of watch without going over the top in terms of colour combination and complexity. Thanks to everyone.

I want to especially thank MuddyD here for his kind and generous words about my contributions to the Forum in his post of 9 January - somehow, I missed his post first time round. I must say that the Watch Forum has repaid me handsomely, in the wonderful pictures and posts from members, which I read and look at with much interest. The friendliness and humour of the Forum is also much appreciated by me, and as far as my research and writing on the Forum is concerned, I do my best, and because it is part of my past history, I am so pleased that the Watch Forum has enabled me to once again buzz with ideas for posts and write them down.