• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Tangent

Mechanical Alarms

I've searched back and can't find this specific topic so as I've noted on the chronograph thread that's running at the moment, I am unable to understand why mechanical alarms are not popular. A Seiko Bellmatic is lovely, as are some of the Poljots. My grail would be a JLC Memovox and the one I played with was awesome; the bell was very reminiscent of my grandfather's windy-up alarm clock.

Perhaps due to their lack of popularity, alarms seem rare and in spite of the fashion, never seem that cheap.

Never having owned a mechanical alarm, are they actually too much trouble in real life? Or is they just don't look as cool as chronos?

Bit of a ramble that, but essentially: I wouldn't mind some suggestions for reasonably priced, available alarms.

hi,here one of mine,the alarm is no good to me i am to deaf to hear it,it has a display back and its great to set the alarm then watch the little hammer inside go like billyho...002_zps4d4a6ac0.jpg

Edited by greasemonk

my one and only alarm was quite reasonably priced on the bay

WP_20130903_19_31_50_SmartShoot_zpsd863a454.jpg

its a 70s sicura

Ooh, nice! Never heard of them but a quick Google was very enlightening.

I bought this purely because it was a mechanical alarm – I never use it though. It sounds like a hive of tiny, but very angry, wasps :lol:

57F85A11-3381-484B-807B-C2495639C308-326-0000003580857674_zpsa0cada86.jpg

I bought this purely because it was a mechanical alarm – I never use it though. It sounds like a hive of tiny, but very angry, wasps :lol:

Now that is very nice.

Now that is very nice.

It is a great looking watch but the bracelet's a bit polished and bling for me - dead comfy though. I'm still searching for the right strap.

Wow! I stand corrected- these are good looking watches. I dare say the Zenith, which ticks every box, will remain above my pay grade.

Greasemonk - I've never heard of Rousseau, thanks.

William - I have read all of Mechanical Alarm's posts on the subject but he seemed like a lone voice in the wilderness most of the time.

I used to own a very nice Vulcain Cricket in 14k solid gold. Had the box, papers, everything. Even the band was original. This one:

VulcainCricket_zpsc3477cd4.jpg

Quite a nice watch but it's not for everyone. The alarm in this one would waken the dead.

Edited by martinus_scriblerus

It seems to me there is a forum member who collects these sorts of watches, if only I could remember his name. :D

Later,

William

My ears were burning.

20140107_2013231.jpg

This is a very good watch, however the alarm is not that loud,it doesn't wake me up

Olly... I better take that off of your hands!!

It seems to me there is a forum member who collects these sorts of watches, if only I could remember his name. :D

Later,

William

Collecting Mechanical Alarms is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!

A past post of mine...:

http://www.thewatchf...rm&fromsearch=1

AlarmWatchCollection_2_zps4d9b3f07.jpg

There are ~10 more since I posted this, may have to do another "Family Photo" again.

My memostar mechanical alarm looks great in my opinion and the alarm is loud enough to wake you from a deep sleep especially if the watch is face up on the bedside table. Love it.

DSCN0266_zpsea8ea63d.jpg

I used to own a very nice Vulcain Cricket in 14k solid gold. Had the box, papers, everything. Even the band was original. This one:

VulcainCricket_zpsc3477cd4.jpg

Quite a nice watch but it's not for everyone. The alarm in this one would waken the dead.

I'd love a Cricket but I'm afraid decent ones are beyond my budget for the moment. Thanks for showing us though.

Later,

William

My ears were burning.

20140107_2013231.jpg

This is a very good watch, however the alarm is not that loud,it doesn't wake me up

Olly... I better take that off of your hands!!

Later,

William

Collecting Mechanical Alarms is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!

A past post of mine...:

http://www.thewatchf...rm&fromsearch=1

AlarmWatchCollection_2_zps4d9b3f07.jpg

There are ~10 more since I posted this, may have to do another "Family Photo" again.

Yes please!

I have a couple but I must say the alarms don't wake me

Lucerne pin pallet

IMG_0369.jpg

Poljot 2612

Poljotalarm.jpg

Kev

Lovely watches, especially love the Poljots posted by luckywatch would love to see some more pics?

Being a complete watch ignoramus I've found this thread fascinating, so much so that I've now been googling to see what's out there and how much :)

Lovely watches, especially love the Poljots posted by luckywatch would love to see some more pics?

Being a complete watch ignoramus I've found this thread fascinating, so much so that I've now been googling to see what's out there and how much :)

Here we are some pictures from my archives. Both watches are from forum members. A great way to wake up in the morning.

mac3_zps00fbd063.jpg

mesh1.jpg

pol_brace.jpg

pol4.jpg

wasp.jpg

Nice!

More details - pleeez

Cheers

R