• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Watchdude49

Any Hifi Enthusiasts Around?

Used to own a lot of nice separates, all gone now but my favourite system was naim based. Excellent build and very precise clean and powerful sound. Would love to revisit but my life has changed somewhat :(

Various decks, a few bits of audio note stuff. quad 57's micromega

it cost me a fortune , but i made money on every single bit !

now down to 3gb of apple lossless files through a yamaha sound bar (TV) still does it for a party etc. very child friendly and the wife can almost use it !

Various decks, a few bits of audio note stuff. quad 57's micromega

it cost me a fortune , but i made money on every single bit !

now down to 3gb of apple lossless files through a yamaha sound bar (TV) still does it for a party etc. very child friendly and the wife can almost use it !

Like how you say 'almost';)

I love talking hifi with people, everyone expects an 18 year old to be listening to crappy mp3 music on an ipod, the reaction when I name some of the gear I own/owned is priceless.

Current set up

BGW model 203 pre amp

Turner power amp

Linn axis turntable

Cyrus 2 amp (only use the phonostage)

JBL L100 speakers

ADC soundshaper eq (bought it purely for the looks as it matches the pre and power amps)

Technics slp-770 cd player

B&W DM602'S (4 way floorstanders) currently awaiting a full restoration

What i've had

A&R A60 amp

Quad 405 power amp (ex bbc, wired as a mono block, only had one :(

Micromega stage 2 cd player

A really high end Nak cassette deck, really regret selling that as it looked so nice

Lenco l60 turntable

And loads of mainstream vintage NAD, Pioneer, Akai, JVC and Technics stuff,

ADC soundshaper

they did them in 2-3 different models i remember

sexy mothers.... in their day . trouble is , every idiot wanted to play with the settings !

all of mine is now .flac format , i use a netbook connected to an arcam rdac which feeds into a rega biro r then into kef r100 speakers, im very pleased with this setup and use an ipad to control it using either jriver media centre or monkeymote.

Linn household here

Nice, are you streaming? I have heard a lot about Linn streamers, they are supposed to be amazing.

Yes we are streaming (I believe Linn were one of the first to ditch the CD player). Excellent piece of kit that seems to be able to work with most gear.

I've recently started to listen to music again using mostly my old system - Audiolab 8000 series pre and power amps with Castle Chester speakers but with the significant addition of a Yamaha CDN500 streaming CD player. At the same time, against all the trends I gave my Vinyl away to a friend.

I have to say the system sounds very good.

The trouble is that this has got me thinking about upgrading and replacing my 18 to 20 odd year old kit as well as getting a "better" streamer.

Could be very expensive.

I listened to some Linn kit at a local dealers the other day and I was impressed, but I hear different things about ability to work with general purpose NAS drives - particularly Synology.

Any views?

i prefer loosing a small amount of sound quality to gaining better access and low cost if not free music . also the space i save not having big Quads in the room is lovely !

JTW, if your router is close to your hifi system, you can also get a vortex box and connect it straight into a DAC so you can stream without the need to have a dedicated (expensive) streamer. I use this for cd ripping, streaming flacs, Internet radio, spotify etc. I used CDs in the past but now accessibility is fantastic and sound quality just as good. Using a Sonos connect into a Rega DAC upstairs (streaming from vortex box) and the system is very enjoyable, not the most audiophile presentation but again fantastic user friendliness.

i see little reason to buy good hifi these days.... the quality of sound engineers and the final products seem to be rubbish these days . they just don't bother any more

Thanks Watchdude, the NAS will be in a different room, currently I use a PC with ethernet over homeplugs, I've read a bit more and Synology seem to be OK with Linn, I may put in a proper ethernet connection though.

LJD I think it depends on what music you listen to I play mainly Classical and a bit of Jazz with a healthy dose of "Classic" rock and some of the high bitrate transfers are brilliant..

just purchased a class t amp to play with ( topping tp20 mk2 ) , i must say for under 50 quid it gives my £500 rega amp a run for its money , its a bit short on power (around 12 watts) - but it fills my 16' x 14' room with only a quarter turn of the volume , the detail in this little amp is amazing for the money and sounds like a bit like a valve amp.

well worth a play with if you have a second room or are looking for a high detail small amp for very little money.

just purchased a class t amp to play with ( topping tp20 mk2 ) , i must say for under 50 quid it gives my £500 rega amp a run for its money , its a bit short on power (around 12 watts) - but it fills my 16' x 14' room with only a quarter turn of the volume , the detail in this little amp is amazing for the money and sounds like a bit like a valve amp.

well worth a play with if you have a second room or are looking for a high detail small amp for very little money.

I played with a early T class amp running a pair of 4 ohm genuine 10 inch full range "Funktion One" speakers

they where in a very good enclosure . Could hold a party with them !!! Amazing how well the amp drove those speakers