• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ed, there's a thought on the Timex forum about whether or not it might be possible to print bezels for divers watches?

Many other makers used plastic bezels, usually in black plastic with white letters, and on vintage pieces the plastic becomes brittle and tends to break if they are removed to clean them. In your opinion is the technology of 3d print good enough yet to make replacements for these, generally they are not available as spares after all this time!

It might be a small earner for someone if the technology is up to it, I'm asking as someone who hasn't a clue as to how it works or how tight a spec can be made, or how you "progamme" the printer?

Ed, there's a thought on the Timex forum about whether or not it might be possible to print bezels for divers watches?

Many other makers used plastic bezels, usually in black plastic with white letters, and on vintage pieces the plastic becomes brittle and tends to break if they are removed to clean them. In your opinion is the technology of 3d print good enough yet to make replacements for these, generally they are not available as spares after all this time!

It might be a small earner for someone if the technology is up to it, I'm asking as someone who hasn't a clue as to how it works or how tight a spec can be made, or how you "progamme" the printer?

yeh i dont see why not, here is something i found - is this the kind of thing you mean?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:38465

all done, only one problem - - - - I ORDERED THE WRONG TUBE SIZE FOR THE SECOND WHEEL!!! so i will have to pop to B&Q and hope they have some in stock tomorrow.

only took about 10 mins to put together, not tested yet but all runs fine so far as far as i can tell from hand turning the gears - run nice and smooth without any biting.

39C0C54B-E2F9-4CCB-AAFC-9F70EAFADF5A_zpsuibr2ygx.jpg422DADDF-EA2E-44E3-862D-5B03E26013A5_zpsafodq4pj.jpg51ED25C2-2E44-44BB-B98D-14C454E50743_zpsb4vjz3x6.jpg

Ed

That's looking good so far - look forward to seeng the finished product.

We had a discussion on the NAWCC a while ago about 3d printing. You can find it here http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?103578-3D-Printing-Watch-Parts&highlight=3d+printing if you would like to have a read - and yes you'll find my input on there as well.

Ed

That's looking good so far - look forward to seeng the finished product.

We had a discussion on the NAWCC a while ago about 3d printing. You can find it here http://mb.nawcc.org/...ght=3d+printing if you would like to have a read - and yes you'll find my input on there as well.

interesting views.

they are awesome (the good ones) there are lots of places selling terrible models for silly money, its a bit of a bun fight to find a good one for a "reasonable" price. i saw in maplin today they have some real bad ones on sale.

I own a chinese copy of a Makerbot dual extruder and its very good - even if you have high expectations its ability's are stunning.

here is a little video i took of a lamp i printed (not my design)

this lamp is printed as one part, and comes out of the printer like this (apart from the stand it sits on) - but i did not assemble or glue anything on this print - it just works like this straight out of the printer, all the joints etc fully functional.

obviously i wired in the bulbs afterwards.

(please forgive my foot being used as a third hand due to me holding the camera)

while i wait for the needed tube to finish this clock design i have started printing this one, one where the face of the clock moves on a regular cheap battery operated mechanism. - as with the other clock, i will post photos and videos when its done :thumbup:

BC94EC40-85CF-4E6A-BF9C-546EA1ABB782_zpsoxvr8kjc.jpg

Finished! i just need to mess about with the weight, pendulum and maybe file down some of the teeth depending on how well it runs.

the winding ratchet is very stiff too at the moment, that's what you see me trying to wind at the beginning.

the Cuckoo is from my other clock, not this one!

At the moment i have it going off a cuckoo clock weight that's quite small and the pendulum is hitting it so that's the starting point for improvement.

Edited by Edb1984