• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

Things Which Aren't As Good As They Used To Be

Things Which Aren't As Good As They Used To Be?

Let me start the ball rolling with Haywards Mixed Pickle!

There was a time when a jar was a cornucopia of onions, gherkins, peppers and cauliflower. Now it is mainly cauliflower and one type of onion (silverskin) with a couple of slices of gherkin and a few bits of red pepper to kid you into believing it is really a mixed pickle!

:throw:

Tins of Quality Street, ..... what's all that about, ... I've used their tins year by year to store Christmas Decorations and the tins are now half the height that they were a few years ago ! ...So now not only are they more expensive, you get half as many in the tins !

On 20/01/2014 at 14:44, artistmike said:

Tins of Quality Street, ..... what's all that about, ... I've used their tins year by year to store Christmas Decorations and the tins are now half the height that they were a few years ago ! ...So now not only are they more expensive, you get half as many in the tins !

You got a tin? Luxury! All I could find this Christmas were plastic containers :(

Wagon wheels. They are more like scooter wheels and taste ****.

Coca Cola. Yukkkkkkk!

Jaguar cars.

.................. and don't get me started on watches! :baby:

Mike

Milky Ways changed taste - in fact not really a Milky Way.

Wagon Wheels as already mentioned.

Chamois leathers - used to break in quickly and last but now are slimy for a while then just when you get it right little bits start to come off and the car looks like someone coughed while eating a sesame ryvita.

Carrs High Bake water biscuits - they used to be dark brown round the edges but if they think that insipid beige is hi-bake now, they want to see my wifes home made biscuits. (handy for wedging the car wheels or as coasters when its raining)

and I forgot Club biscuits. for the older of us , remember the ad 'if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our Club' and it was thick chocolate. not any more.

Cadburys. Nuff said? Those Yanks have a LOT to answer for, it's made much more 'cost effectively' now, and tastes it!

On 20/01/2014 at 14:33, Beeks said:

Space Raiders...they're definitely smaller :yes:

+1

Price went to 20p, contents went down to 5 or 6 in a pack!

My knees :laugh:

fast food places seem to take longer to get your food why ????????? It's fast food not slow food

+1 Cadburys, bought a fruit and nut bar and had to spit it out, tastes disgusting, majority made in Poland now

Panyan pickle............ heaven but no longer sold.........

Mrs Peeks Xmas pudding............ now made in New Zealand and tastes revolting.............

Heinz soups, especially mulligatawny and tomato

My suspicion is they were forced to change the recipe by the salt fascists

Mulligatawny especially has become almost indedible

On 20/01/2014 at 17:35, JoT said:

Possibly, but my suspicion is that it`s the same reason most products aren`t as good as they used to be ie the producers reducing costs to increase profits :whistle:

On 20/01/2014 at 17:35, JoT said:

Mulligatawny especially has become almost indedible

I found this, healthier maybe but no where near as tasty!

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/aug/26/advertising.food

On 20/01/2014 at 17:56, JoT said:

I found this, healthier maybe but no where near as tasty!

http://www.theguardi...dvertising.food

Maybe manufacturers could market special ranges which taste `good` but aren't so good for you, if they stated this on the packaging (a bit like cigarettes), they might avoid any problems with those pesky do-gooder health lobbies :laugh:

I`m leaving this conversation now before I feel the need to say what I gather is in most loaves of bread these days :huh:

TV programming. Far too many 'Reality' or BGT/X factor type shows. :taz: Bring back good old Saturday nights with a good family participation show (like the Generation Game), a good variety or musical show ( like Paul Daniels or the Val Doonigan show), followed by a good action thriller...(James Bond, Bruce Willis et al)  :thumbs_up: Today's programming is just lazy, un-interesting, cheap rubbish. :Snore:The sooner cr@p like 'Big Brother' and 'I'm a Celebrity' are consigned to the bin, the better. :yes: Probably the only show that comes anywhere near the good old favourites is 'Ant and Dec's Takeaway'.

As ever, just MHO you understand.

On 20/01/2014 at 18:13, mach 0.0013137 said:

Maybe manufacturers could market special ranges which taste `good` but aren't so good for you, if they stated this on the packaging (a bit like cigarettes), they might avoid any problems with those pesky do-gooder health lobbies

I`m leaving this conversation now before I feel the need to say what I gather is in most loaves of bread these days

We had low sodium soups for a little while, ( by low sodium I mean instead of having 20 times the recommended daily limit they only had 10 times the daily limit of sodium) but the public wouldn't buy them. I have to avoid high sodium products and didn't find that much difference between the low and regular products in regards to taste.

In North America there is no middle ground, everyone has to be at an extreme. You either eat extra fat, salt, sugar and starch meals or you go all the way to the other extreme and eat a mixture of grass, berries, curds and moss that looks like it was scraped off the back of a gravestone. Food is either industrially manufactured toxic poison or it is "all natural" industrially manufactured poison that uses legal loopholes to try and pass itself off as healthy.

Later,

William

Little places I used to love on the Med, where you could sit all day outside cute little harbour-side cafes. Now overrun by Mr and Mrs Chicken-Nugget and the Kids from the Dungeon Dimensions looking for cheap lager and "all you can eat for 6€" crappy eateries. Paradise lost.

Customer service.

Just all redirected to other people.. We have lost our way and our spines!

Liiam

Completely correct!. I can't fathom why store clerks look at you like you're crazy, when you complain that the thing you paid good money for does not work and is a piece of crap.

Later,

William