• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
mjae

My New Raymond Weil Freelancer (Skeleton At 12O'clock)

Guys,

I love the aesthetics of this watch. The two-tone is not overwhelming as there is a great proportionate combination between the two colors. The black face is really nice. I love the skeleton at the 12 O'clock. The band feels much better quality than my Tag Heuer Carrera and Aquaracer. I'd have to say that I really love this piece. The engineering behind this simple, classic, classy, piece was carefully thought out. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. It looks wonderful on my wrist and already got a dozen comments on wearing this piece.

Let me know what you guys think? If anyone can provide me more insight on its movement that would be greatly appreciated as I don't know Raymond Weil products all that well.

4JjQ9q9.jpg

Pc98NcR.jpg

CjAB20i.jpg

bJ83Q9O.jpg

uMclTt4.jpg

NU1KTYZ.jpg

If it is the SW200, then it's the Sellita version of the standard ETA 2824-2. What grade of that movement is in the Raymond Weil I don't know though, but it looks like the movement has been decorated in the way that Sellita is known for.

A good standard movement though so it should perform well, that one is tried and tested..

Hi ThomasR and Jeremy,

Thanks for the responses. I guess my overall question, "Is the SW200 a good movement?"

When you state that this is an ETA clone, are you meaning this is an in-house movement replicating the Swiss ETA? The SW200 has to be Swiss as it would be against Swiss standards to list "Swiss Made" on the watch if it were not.

If you were to put the movement up against ETA, how durable is the engineering design compared to the ETA if it's a clone?

Also, I'm not really fond of the word "clone" as it would be falsely representing a movement that stole a patent from ETA. This would be considered illegal. Is it possible that the design is similar to ETA, but very different in regards to movement?

Hi artistmike,

Thanks for the response. Very simplistic and straight-to-the-point-answer. I appreciate your input. When you state, "tried and tested," does this mean that it is as equal-to or greater than the ETA movement?

Also, is it fair to say that this is a good watch in terms of movement, design, and aesthetics for the price? Should I expect a lifetime out of this watch?

I actually found a good post here as to why a company would use an SW200 over an ETA 2824-2 movement. Interesting article:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/making-sense-of-the-sellita-sw200-movement-same-as-eta-2824-2/

Also, I'm not really fond of the word "clone" as it would be falsely representing a movement that stole a patent from ETA. This would be considered illegal. Is it possible that the design is similar to ETA, but very different in regards to movement?

Patents last only 20 years, the vast majority of ETA movements are out of patent. Sellitas are virtually clones, as the design is virtually identical, only a few parts are none-interchangeable. Sellita used to manufacture under licence for ETA until they decided to branch off on their own.

Swatch, in restricting the supply of ETA movements as they are doing, are enabling other companies to fill the void and Sellita have been aiming at that for a while now. To all intents and purposes the movements are the same in all but name, so the longevity, accuracy and quality should also be the same and as the 2824-2 is a good standard movement and one that watchmakers are used to servicing, the watch should last you as long as you want it to. An heirloom to pass on too. come to that. :)

They tend to be a bit of a "Marmite" watch on the forums and so far haven't really attracted the following that others in that price range have. They are somewhat newcomers to the game and many of their models have been towards the 'fashion' end of the business, whereas most on the watch forums tend to prefer what are loosely called 'tool' watches.

It's because of this that re-sale prices tend to be low, which of course on watch forums is a bit of a no-no as many of the members on forums tend to be serial flippers.. :D In fact you'll rarely see them discussed much to be honest. Having said that, they are more popular with the general public who have a different sense of what is 'street cred' to the average forum collector.

I've not heard anything bad in terms of build or reliability so if it's what you like, go for it and don't be influenced by others' opinions. Just bear in mind if you want to sell it at any time in the near future, you may lose more than you would on some other brands....

They tend to be a bit of a "Marmite" watch on the forums and so far haven't really attracted the following that others in that price range have. They are somewhat newcomers to the game and many of their models have been towards the 'fashion' end of the business, whereas most on the watch forums tend to prefer what are loosely called 'tool' watches.

It's because of this that re-sale prices tend to be low, which of course on watch forums is a bit of a no-no as many of the members on forums tend to be serial flippers.. :D In fact you'll rarely see them discussed much to be honest. Having said that, they are more popular with the general public who have a different sense of what is 'street cred' to the average forum collector.

I've not heard anything bad in terms of build or reliability so if it's what you like, go for it and don't be influenced by others' opinions. Just bear in mind if you want to sell it at any time in the near future, you may lose more than you would on some other brands....

Artistmike,

Looking at other forum topics regarding this piece seems to have skewed thoughts. However, I'd have to say that you gave the most honest and unbiased answer I've ever read regarding any watch on any other site/forum. Kudos to you for that. I appreciate your honesty. Keep up the good work!