• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
whatmeworry

Am I Wrong To Automatically Avoid Sellers From India And Singapore Whe

If they look original, snap them up without any worry.

I often avoid India, Ukraine and a lot of the Eastern Bloc as the watches are usually franken's.

Nothing wrong with the work they do - some of the dial restorations are superb in fact - it's just that they don't do 'factory original' very well.

When you've seen a rare 1950's Pie-Pan dial connie re-done with a bright pink dial, you'll know what I mean. :wallbash:

I generally only bother with the UK and occasionally Europe. I've heard some horror stories from friends who've bought from Italy and Greece. The Eastern Europe countries are interesting. I've bought bog standard Poljots from Bulgaria and got decent watches for good prices. As Kev said, they can do some excellent, if occasionally eccentric, work. One speciality at the moment is the fabrication of "transition watches" - where lugs are soldered on to a small pocket watch casing to convert to a wristwatch.

As far as Asia is concerned, you can avoid repaint and refurb jobs if you don't trust them, but be aware that there are people in the UK, with connections in Asia, who get job lots of Indian repaints sent to them and then sell them over here. Fave-Leuba is a make that often appears on the UK market because they were sold in India in their thousands.

I have this one. It's the only watch left over from the cheap vintages I began with. It was cheap and I got it from a guy who did the flea markets. It's actually a nice little watch, but I stopped even looking at stuff like this ages ago.

favredial.jpg

I've condensed all my searches down to Europe only, bought a job lot of watches from India, they were practically falling apart

I have this one. It's the only watch left over from the cheap vintages I began with. It was cheap and I got it from a guy who did the flea markets. It's actually a nice little watch, but I stopped even looking at stuff like this ages ago.

favredial.jpg

I really like that watch Avo :-)

I think all geographical generalisations are dangerous but generally I've seen a lot if frankens from India and the Philippines (my interest is in Seiko). Singapore seems to have lots of factory new watches for good prices even including customs charges. The least water damaged/messed with seiko and citizen divers I've ever had we're not from Europe or the states but from Hong Kong. YMMV...

Singapore is generally very good, but you will probably get the customs charges. I've bought a watch from Italy recently and am waiting to see what it is like. I paid a price assuming the worst, so it can't be too bad (seller has 100% feedback, takes returns, so I am not chancing too much).

I have had some nice watches from India too, but I am always careful to read and then re read the advert. I walk away from many.

At a recent collectors fair in Spain there were fakes and re dials being passed off as 100% genuine. Always buy the seller before the watch!

You have to remember that Singapore is an extremely wealthy place these days and there are some great watch dealers out there, I have bought a couple of Omegas from there with no problems at all... Like anyone, it's a question of buying the seller and on Ebay you'll find a couple of really good ones if you look around....

I've bought from orrery much all over the world & one thing I have noticed is; it does not matter where you buy from, what matters is who you are dealing with. I have had good transactions overall and none that have gone badly. I buy the seller before I but the watch. I get to know them as much as I can, check the comments on their other transactions and ask as many questions as I can. I can't say I have bought anything from India yet but if I were to, it would be because I thought the deal was legitimate. Like anywhere else.

the watch from Italy arrived a little late, but the seller had written to me beforehand and explained about a national holiday. It was exactly as described, so five stars to them!

I now have two cheaper watches coming from Romania and India, so i'll wait and see the outcome on those. As pretty much everyone has said, buy the seller first and the item second.

I only buy and sell in the UK, and in the past few years the vast majority of my collection has come from the highly trustworthy RLT sales department :D . This is just my personal preference, of course.

the watch from Italy arrived a little late, but the seller had written to me beforehand and explained about a national holiday. It was exactly as described, so five stars to them!

I now have two cheaper watches coming from Romania and India, so i'll wait and see the outcome on those. As pretty much everyone has said, buy the seller first and the item second.

Every Tuesday, Thursday and last last Friday of a month with a vowel in it ! :yes:

I recently received two watches I purchased from India, a hmt military watch (supposedly) crown was loose tried to tighten and snapped the shaft, watch now u/s.

And a seiko 5 it looks like a seiko but the auto movement is very noisy, and I thought seiko 5's had the crown at the 4 o'clock position.

I am suspect as to the authenticity of the watches. So for my mind I won't be buying from India for a while.

favredial.jpg

Nice looking watch there, that's what I am buying now. I buy on looks

Hi, I have not purchased from East Europe, but I have purchased from India (Mumbi). The watch was a citizen automatic which worked just long enough for me to give him good feedback. After contacting the seller I returned the watch back to him for repair. I have never seen the watch since. By the way, the watch had been extensively refurbished that I doubt that it looked anything like the original model.

A lesson learned.

Ooh glad you posted this, im new to vintage watches as well, nearly bought a few from mumbai aswell, think ill stay away and buy uk only

Weeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllll. I've taken a bit of a low risk punt and ordered two used HMT's from a seller in India at £10.00 each inc P&P.

Will let you know what they're like when they get here...........possibly sometime next month.

Regards

David

Hope they turn out OK - I'd feel better about buying an Indian Made watch from India than anywhere else TBH, though with HMTs it is worth researching what the original dials look like...

Over the last few months I have bought several items from different sellers posting from India. I remembered this thread so thought I'd share my experiences.

All were good, I got what I paid for in good time and EVERY single purchase was incredibly well packed (I think they could have been thrown out of the plane and hit the ground without damage!).

I would have no more worries buying from India than anywhere else, TBH I am more concerned about a package due from American seller as it appears it will be going through a repackaging company first and the tracking number I have been given is useless.