• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sir Alan

Casio G-Shock 531D Cleanup

WARNING - THIS THREAD CONTINUES PICTURES SOME VIEWERS MAY FIND UPSETTING

I bought a Casio G-SHOCK 531D from the Sales forum for what I thought was a very good price. I could see that it was pretty worn in places, but the crystal, dial & hands looked lovely and from my previous experiences I was fairly confident that if I needed to replace any parts I should be able to get them.

It arrived super fast with box, papers and a spare link.

Here it is:

P1140620_zps29fbfa56.jpg

there's some light scratches to the bezel, but the majority of the wear is to the plastic parts which has a metal finish that is prone to wear over time:

P1140621_zps0a6cdcf2.jpg

P1140622_zps80957a81.jpg

P1140624_zpsfdf36c84.jpg

None of this was a surprise, so on Thursday I contacted Casio Parts and asked them for the parts list for this watch. They are super helpful and sent me the parts list / exploded diagram for the watch.

I figured out what I needed and placed an order. Luckily all bar the front metal bezel are still available (and I didn;t really need one of these as the original is in pretty good condition). Some of the parts will have to come from Japan so won't arrive for a few weeks.

Today I thought I'd start the cleanup of the watch .......................

WARNING - THIS THREAD CONTINUES PICTURES SOME VIEWERS MAY FIND UPSETTING

Having taken apart some of the higher end G-SHOCKS (the MTG1100 and 1500), and also a Mudman and Gulfman, I wasn't too worried about taking this one apart.

The key is good screwdrivers (that fit properly), patience and the knowledge that that parts are designed to be taken apart.

Its a bit like the Transformer toys where you just had to figure out how they fitted together.

Brute force / ignorance are not required!!!

So - what did I find?

First it was off with the bracelet, via the springbars:

P1140641_zpsc58743f3.jpg

Then it was out with the six small screws (3 on each side) that hold the plastic outer casing on:

P1140637_zps5d6a1522.jpg

Then it was off with the lower plastic parts (one on each side):

P1140644_zpsf3ad6484.jpg

ughhhh

P1140643_zpsd6426dca.jpg

URGHHHH ......

Wow - I was not expecting that!!!

In true Magnus Magnusson fashion, I'd started so I'd better finish.

P1140647_zps51c1500b.jpg

I'd assumed the bull-bars were held in place by the outer screws, but they're actually just held in place by the upper plastic parts. They came out easily:

P1140648_zps35299c2d.jpg

Next it was off with the metal covers at the top and bottom, these come off by depressing the internal spring bar, one side at a time then lifting off:

P1140653_zps3e3dd8ad.jpg

and yep, you guess it - more gunge underneath:

P1140654_zpsca0e8247.jpg

Then the plastic parts underneath can be removed:

P1140657_zps57cde0cf.jpg

With these off, the last step was to remove the upper bezel and plastic parts. It took me a few minutes to work out how to do this - I tried wiggling and levering and the bezel didn't want to come off.

I thought maybe it was being held on by double-sided tape (as with the MTG1100) but gentle force indicated not.

Then I realised that the upper plastic parts are holding the bezel on, and these are in turn being held to the watch case by where the 3 screws go.

You can sort of see it in this picture:

P1140663_zpsb3c9ca7a.jpg

but you'll understand better when you see the later pictures.

Here's the bezel and upper plastic parts:

P1140670_zpsfd5e26cf.jpg

and underneath:

P1140669_zps6ab38154.jpg

With all its armour removed we have this:

P1140664_zps79f4cf7a.jpg

a rather bare and sorry looking 531D (kinda like a wet and dirty cat).

P1140666_zps34e6bfcc.jpg

I think this wins the award for the dirtiest watch I've personally owned. :censored:

Now, let the cleaning begin :yes:

Happily the ultrasonic toothbrush, shower gel and the ultrasonic cleaner cut through the dirt.

How about this?

P1140672_zps6eed24ce.jpg

P1140673_zps8c6fcb3d.jpg

P1140675_zpsaab46afb.jpg

P1140676_zpsca49bee1.jpg

P1140677_zpsc4c2e326.jpg

(this was toothbrush only btw)

And this is why I LOVE G-SHOCKS. They are built to standup to the dirtiest conditions and to last.

All the other parts had a jolly good bath:

P1140680_zps02b877f3.jpg

P1140681_zps77a7f305.jpg

P1140679_zpscbc29742.jpg

P1140682_zps9ab44866.jpg

I'm going to wait now for the parts to arrive and then put it back together. Pics to follow.

(and yes, it does make you think about what's underneath ......................)

Edited by Sir Alan

Bravo!

Did you find the ultrasonic cleaner worked well on the bracelet? I do not own one and would like to as I'm a little OCD about the hygienic state of my watches and the bracelets can be a pain to clean properly.

Tony

you should have weighed it before the strip down, its a damn sight lighter now after all your hard work :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bravo!

Did you find the ultrasonic cleaner worked well on the bracelet? I do not own one and would like to as I'm a little OCD about the hygienic state of my watches and the bracelets can be a pain to clean properly.

Tony

Very well. They are a great investment. Simple to use and very effective (and you can clean things other than just watch parts - e.g. rings, earrings, glasses, shower heads etc etc)

For cleaning tiny watch movement parts they are essential.

That said, the ultrasonic toothbrush is just as good at cleaning larger parts, but it is fiddlier as you have to hold the part you're cleaning. The bristles are more effective for removing build up of dirt and dirt that is trapped in corners or between links etc.

Bravo!

Tony

Very well. They are a great investment. Simple to use and very effective (and you can clean things other than just watch parts - e.g. rings, earrings, glasses, shower heads etc etc)

For cleaning tiny watch movement parts they are essential.

That said, the ultrasonic toothbrush is just as good at cleaning larger parts, but it is fiddlier as you have to hold the part you're cleaning. The bristles are more effective for removing build up of dirt and dirt that is trapped in corners or between links etc.

Thanks for that, I'll consider a purchase some time.

Tony

The last of the case parts I've been waiting for arrived yesterday, so I re-assembled the watch.

This was fairly tricky, the plastic parts clip together onto the inner case and the bezel. Finding the right order to do this took a couple of attempts. For example, the bull bars can't be fitted last, they have to be fitted before you fit the bezel.

Anyway, it all went back together nicely, so here it is:

P1140917_zps7b95504c.jpg

P1140920_zpse862ce59.jpg

P1140926_zpsddbbb652.jpg

P1140928_zps7cd19f92.jpg

I still need to re-paint the lettering on the bezel and when I do this, I might strip it down again and take a few more pics (my camera battery was on charge when I did this)

The older Casio models built with a lot of metal components have a nice hefty weight to go with the rugged look - and they'll last.

:)

Edited by Sir Alan

Nice job, I suspect my g shock glide will be as grim and dirty as that. The only clean it's had in 20yrs is in the shower or sea and it's been used a lot in the garden, training, diving, building work, working on the car etc. I bet its minging. You've made me think about stripping it down and giving it a clean.... )

I re-painted the wording on the bezel, and took the bezel off to do this (rather than risk getting paint where it wasn't wanted). Here are a few pics showing how to get it back on:

P1140930_zpsb7a4ba58.jpg

onto this:

P1140936_zps4b3b7147.jpg

It looks like it should be easy, but it is a bit fiddly - the reason being the lip the bezel has to clip over on either side (9pm and 3pm)

P1140942_zpse91df3c4.jpg

you'd think this was just a push fit, but in my experience not. And also, even if you did manage to get both sides of the bezel on (one side is easy), the bull bars need to go on, and this is not possible one the bezel is on:

P1140944_zpsca790c3d.jpg

So, logically this means the parts need to be assembled before they are fitted to the watch.

Like this:

P1140955_zpse832e85c.jpg

here you can see how the bull bars clip in

P1140952_zpsccab2512.jpg

and here is the bezel clipping in correctly

P1140949_zpsf80aed71.jpg

the final pieces are the two lower parts

P1140961_zpsfc225fcb.jpg

P1140962_zps3d94ad4f.jpg

and then hold them in place with these

P1140963_zps7f6c901b.jpg

How about this for a sturdy clasp:

P1140968_zpseadbaff3.jpg

P1140969_zps25e3c83e.jpg

that's not going to fail in a hurry is it!!

And the finished watch:

P1140970_zps819bfa85.jpg

Edited by Sir Alan

Wow that was alot of gunk under that thing!

Great looking watch now. Even has handle bars for the wife to hang on to! :P

You glad you went through the process?

You glad you went through the process?

absolutely. I've got a watch that will last and looks great and I've played a part in this.