• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
chocko

New Watch Mag

Just seen the ad, gotta be worth £3.99 surely.

What's the watch like chocko? Or is that a pic off the telly? Either

way I think I may get this just to see what the watch is like.

Oh look 999 posts.

Edited by Raptor

New watch magazine at news agent now ,called military watches at only £3.99

That price is only for the first issue. Issue 2 is £6.99 and then it is £9.99 per issue. Might still be worth it.

Could be good, but kind of depends what the watch is like! I've had a few £10 watches, and the quality is kind of variable even at that price point...

Looks like the usual "Build an aircraft carrier in 26 parts" magazine. If you go to the website you'll see that all the watches that you can buy will have (probably cheap) quartz movements.

Let's face it, the magazine company is there to make a profit. Once they've covered their overheads and made that reasonable profit, what do you think you're going to get for your money?

And, of course, they're not military watches in substance - just lookalikes to fill the current demand for "military" - as is being discussed in the Military section of this Forum at the moment...

I noticed that on one of the watches which is supposed to be a Vostok Tank Commander, the case style is wrong. They describe another as being "Inspired by post-war RAF chronographs, this stunning watch includes a day and date function" ie it isn`t a chrono. I have to say I suspect this magazine is not aimed at real watch enthusiasts & I doubt it`ll be very informative.

I saw the advert, I suppose if you had a young lad, nephew or grandson it might be something for them to get started on for not a lot of money.

I don't have any of the above so I'll pass

:lol: :lol:

Yep. Having taken a gander I think it's going to be a nice collection for some people with a passing watch interest but not really for the more mentally scarred wristwatch maniac. I think if you added up the cost of all the editions then you would have more than enough to go and buy yet another 'proper' watch and be much more satisfied with it. Before flipping it on sales corner of course.

Military Watch Collection

MWC! Aarrrghhhh!!! No, I'm sure that's just a coincidence :)

It's easy to scoff at this sort of thing when you're "in the know" but I see no real harm in it so long as the publishers make clear what you're getting and I think they've done a fair job in this case (unlike some other organisations selling the likes of "commemorative coins" that can be handed down as "heirlooms", for example). Yes, of course the watches are cheap and cheerful quartz affairs and not highly accurate mechanical replicas. But if the quality of the articles in the magazine is good then it should serve to get people more interested in the hobby and may encourage those who aspire to own the "real thing".

As mentioned above, just be extra vigilant on eBay for the next few months! That A. Lange & Sohne Luftwaffe watch might not be quite as described.

Just seen the add. Im defo getting the first issue for a gander and you cant beat a watch at £4 with magazine as well.

I do however have a slight suspicion it will be strap 1 week; watch the next. I would like to find out more so im in. To be honest im skint and dont think I can afford another £10 every couple of weeks.

Saw the advert on TV last night and just happened to lean forward in the chair at the same time, as you do when your interest is piqued. Or as it was in my case to reach my drink and the look she shot me pretty much said, if you arrive home with that magazine your nads will end up as two extra adams apples! And all I was doing was getting my drink.... Mind you if she hadn't of suggested going out and buying a new TV last week so Sky could come and replace the dish and boxes that blew up at the end of January (Oh yeah house got hit by lightening and blew everything up. Plasterboard blown off walls, phone line fused together, we the bit that hadn't melted and embedded shards of wire on the wall opposite, TV's gone, home cinema gone, boiler gone.... In fact if it was plugged in it blew up!!!!! All except the bleedin freeze up frost free fridge....) I would have seen it.

Frank

Saw the advert on TV last night and just happened to lean forward in the chair at the same time, as you do when your interest is piqued. Or as it was in my case to reach my drink and the look she shot me pretty much said, if you arrive home with that magazine your nads will end up as two extra adams apples! And all I was doing was getting my drink.... Mind you if she hadn't of suggested going out and buying a new TV last week so Sky could come and replace the dish and boxes that blew up at the end of January (Oh yeah house got hit by lightening and blew everything up. Plasterboard blown off walls, phone line fused together, we the bit that hadn't melted and embedded shards of wire on the wall opposite, TV's gone, home cinema gone, boiler gone.... In fact if it was plugged in it blew up!!!!! All except the bleedin freeze up frost free fridge....) I would have seen it.

Frank

:lol: :eek:

The subscription works out at over £200 a year, every subsequent binder (every 16 issues) for your copies is charged at £6.99, special edition issues are charged an undisclosed amount in addition to the subscription, subsequent watch boxes ( every 20 watches) are charged at £19.99

All seems expensive to get some 'free' crappy Chinese 'homages'

Edited by bobbymonks

I think 'The Trick' is going to be resisting the temptation to start buying them intending to collect them all. I must say I wasn't impressed with the look of the watch that goes with issue 1. I saw it in W.H. Smiths on Wednesday. Wasn't there a similar thing quite recently only with pocket watches ? Were any of those watches any good ?

Personally I think I'd rather save the money and maybe buy a decent well illustrated book on armed forces watches as opposed to ending up with a load of cheap movement 'look-a-likes' that I'd never wear and would be a bit embarrassed to ever put on display.

Please note though that this is just my personal opinion and it's quite possible that many people will buy these magazines and get a great deal of pleasure out of them and the watches that accompany them. I'll be interested to hear what other people think of the magazine and the watches once a few issues have been out on the shelves.