• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
kevkojak

Ever Lost A Watch Through Being A Skinflint?

I snagged a nice little canvas strap mili style Citizen Eco-Drive on e.bay a couple of days ago.

The model retails at about £150, and they tend to fetch £70 or so second hand - I've chased them before.

This one popped up on a £25 buy-it-now (with box and paperwork) with offers open. Within minutes an offer had gone in, and seconds later I bought it at the £25 BIN price. Honestly, who would put an offer in and risk losing out when it's a bargain like that?

I've missed a few as I trot off and quickly Google models, to see what new price was and work out if it's a bargain!

But making an offer on a watch that's listed at a third of its market value. I almost felt guilty paying his asking price, let alone trying to beat him down! :D

Many times. But not usually on a buy it now. I always used to watch auctions and make the mistake of placing a maximum bid that was too low and too late to change. I always bid right at the end if I can but I was making the mistake of making my max bid at the level that I was imagining I could get it for. Not what I should have gone to.

"I might end up getting that for about £80... it's worth £120" "Right, bid time. It's at £30 with a minute to go.... let's bid £80"

"*******!!! £82.10"

Many times. But not usually on a buy it now. I always used to watch auctions and make the mistake of placing a maximum bid that was too low and too late to change. I always bid right at the end if I can but I was making the mistake of making my max bid at the level that I was imagining I could get it for. Not what I should have gone to.

"I might end up getting that for about £80... it's worth £120" "Right, bid time. It's at £30 with a minute to go.... let's bid £80"

"*******!!! £82.10"

I know how you feel, Trig....bloody sniping apps!

Nope, but I've probably done the opposite a couple of times and paid full buy-it-now price when the auction wouldn't have gone that high. But at least I won - eBay said so!!! ;o)

Several times... Including straps.... And other items... BIN Armani Chrono £35/RRP £225 being the most recent!

I always put in the price i want to spend on a watch with my first bid and stick to it,if i win it all well and good but if i lose the watch no problem as it went for more than i wanted to spend on it

"*******!!! £82.10"

That's my technique aswell ! Got lucky on my last buy though.

I always put in the price i want to spend on a watch with my first bid and stick to it,if i win it all well and good but if i lose the watch no problem as it went for more than i wanted to spend on it

That's exactly what I do , ok you miss out on some , but at least you made the other buyer pay

I've lost out on quite a few by being too slow, both on ebay and our very own RLT Sales Corner, but I've also had some great bargains so it's swings and roundabouts for me :D

Yep me too.

But you could find the 1s that go for like £1 move the other person may have put a bid in alot more than thet and you would have lost it anyway.

I also tink on the rare occasion it could be the seller bumping the price up then they will give you the 2nd chance offer. sinical i know - but it does happen im sure of it.

I missed out on a really beaten up (but in a good way) Vostok Komandirskie yesterday. Ended up going for close to what the price of a new one is so I didn't feel like I was being a skinflint but still kind of regret not winning it

I've got a bad habit of stumbling across items on eBay with a couple of minutes to go and not getting it together in time to put a bid in.

Worse still is watching an item and forgetting to put a bid in near the end - I missed a Citizen Navitach (being Scottish I'm too cheap to stump up for the Breitling equivalent) and haven't seen any since at such a good price :wallbash:

Edited by Retronaut