• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

A Beginners' Guide To "tinkering"

Please could some members recommend me a simple book on tinkering with pocket and wrist watches - mechanical or quartz. I have just had an unfortunate experience in trying to rescue a Rado 30 jewel automatic from the bin but to no avail. Fortunately, it didn't cost me anything as it was pretty obvious that any restoration job would be expensive. Unusually, to get the movement out one had to unscrew the crown anti-clockwise and remove it so that the movement and face would pull out.

Apart from a bit of rust on cogs near the entrance for the crown, and the fact that the hands could not be shifted, nor the calendar display, the actual movement seemed in OK condition. However, when I gently cotton-bud cleaned the face the markers started to fall off, and little fiddly bits of watch are not my strongpoint. Most of the watch now resides in the bin but I kept a few possibly useful bits.

Anyway, to get back to my request - I really need a guide that I can actually follow which cover the simplest tasks as well as some I haven' yet attempted successfully. I do not want a book instructing me how to take movement apart and reassemble them as that is way beyond my comfort zone, but something easy to follow and understand would be perfect.

Please can you help me? :)

Edited by Always"watching"

stripping down a basic mechanical movement is the 'easy bit' , what you attempted with the dial is usually a big no no , dials are left alone unless you are a professional and /or want to take a chance on losing indexes etc like you already have done. (dont worry i first tried to clean a dial by putting it in an ultrasonic machine - it was clean alright the numbers and indexes were floating round in the solution when it was finished :) )

what exactly do you want to be able to do?

Edited by pugster

Yes pugster - your points is well-taken about the dials of watches and also about what I really want to be able to do. I would like to be adept at adjusting metal bracelets and similar tasks and I would also like to be able to replace watch glasses myself. Tackling the dismantling and reassembly of a movement would be beyond me although I would like to be able to do something about watches that "want" to run but stop after a few seconds or minutes. I think my enquiry about a suitable book on the subject stems from purchasing a basic "watchmakers" kit with no instructions on how to use the tools. I actually don't even know if I am removing batteries from watches in the correct manner - when they pop out have I left the watch in a position where replacement of a new battery won't work?

So any suggestions dear pugster and others?

I think the best advice to give is start googling.

you could try:

"replacing a watch crystal"

from this you will find numerous guides written by like minded watch tinkerers, and sometimes qualified watchmakers.

The best are tutorial style with lots of pictures showing the tools needed and how to use them.

In my opinion this is the best way to learn.

You will also need to invest in the correct tools.

Amateur DIY will simply result in failure without them because of the size and fragility of the components you will be working on.

It is also worth looking for the manufacturers technical guide for the watch you will work on. Many are available.

Good luck :)

http://s742.photobucket.com/user/kolector1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131109_132905_zps0d1193f4.jpg.html

I think this might be what you're after, not too in depth and just right for a beginner like me, (possibly you also?).

http://s742.photobucket.com/user/kolector1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131109_132849-1_zps9088a5b7.jpg.html

Not so much 'making' as 'assembling' really, but I am enjoying it. If you want to know anything specific about it, please ask.

Hope this is of some use.

all of the above are probably your best bet , most of the very basic stuff you mention is learnt just by doing it.

look in roys shop here and get the basic tools for removing links etc and a crystal grab and holder , look on ebay for a digital vernier for measuring crystals etc.

http://rltwatches.co.uk/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=6

Edited by pugster