• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Moto Gp 2014

Thought I'd start a new thread off ahead of this years championship. Obviously still a few of us debating what to do over the BT Sport deal. Not sure I will be able to resist. But World Superbikes and British Superbikes are still on Eurosport this year and will also be awesome racing. Should we start threads for those too?

By the way, how do you post videos on Youtube on here?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a few days before the first race of hd season at Qatar. Marquez is still recovering from his broken leg so the smart money has to be on Lorenzo, surely? Personally, as a major fan of Valentino Rossi I'd love to see him come back in a big way this year and put the critics back in their collective box. He came 2nd at Qatar last year, beating the future champ into 3rd in the process, and no one should ever bet against Rossi.

The Open class should make things more competitive for Ducati but I feel Scott Redding is going to experience a baptism of fire. As good as Scott is, he's going to be out of his depth in this paddock.Espargaro's (both of them) will show their class this year.

More importantly, and much to my shame, I'll be succombing to the evil that is BT Sport on Thursday (pay day!) because I just can't bear to miss the racing. Not happy about it though. And have e mailex Tissot to tell them I won't be buying a Moto GP watch his year in protest at the BT deal un the UK. Only way to hit them is to hit Dorna's sponsors.

So who else will be watching?

As predicted, I buckled and subscribed to the evil that is BT Sport yesterday. Qatar always looks amazing on TV. The bikes look cleaner and the colours brighter. Commentary of Keith Huwen and Julian Ryder was 'iffy', but let's see how race day goes. Interesting that Aleix Espargaro has ben leading the timing on a 'Open class' bike. My money is on Rossi for the race win this weekend tho.

Phew! Still catching my breath! No spoilers for now but...what an awesome race!! I spent most of it on my feet shouting at the television!!

Just superb

Yes indeedy!

Quite a few get-offs, would've liked to see 'Bradders' finish.

BT 'anchor team' need to up their game a tad tho...............

R

SPOILER ALERT! Qatar result revealed! Look away now if you are yet to watch the race....

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

So now that the ITV 4 highlights show has aired I think it's fair to discuss properly now.

So, another Marquez win, despite breaking his leg off season and missing the last two months testing. Surprised? Not at all. The kid is an absolute phenomenon. Supreme talent + no fear = World Champion. Difficult to see him not winning the championship again this year, unless he sustains another serious injury. But his perfomance at Qatar was awesome.

I confess to being a huge fan of Valentino Rossi and the last few seasons have been hard to watch. The Ducati debacle affected him hugely and we only saw flashes of brilliance last season, including at Qatar, strangely enough. He has struggled with the 'new' qualifying format since it started but too many people made too much of his starting position of 10th on the grid, missing the fact that there was less than a second between the first 12 riders and Rossi was only 1/2 a second behind Marquez in pole. Right from the start it was clear Rossi was intent on winning the race. You could see him slowly making his way through the pack and even though he was aided by Lorenzo and Bradl crashing out, I have the feeling he would still have got through to have that awesome last two laps battle with Marquez.

Dani Pedrosa is someone I'm not a huge fan of. If he wasn't on the works Honda I don't think he would be in the top 5, but he rode a good race and in Texas he'll do well.

Next race at the Circuit of the Americas in Texas will be an all Honda podium. The track was built for car racing and has too many long straights for the Yamahas to use their advantage. They won't be able to compete with 'Honda Power' on at that circuit. Not to mention a fully fit Marquez! My guess is that we will be looking at a Marquez, Pedrosa, Bradl or possibly even Bautista podium. Lorenzo and Rossi and the open class bikes will just have to try and get the most points possible and look forward to the likes of Mugello and Assen where I hope to see Rossi shine again this year. Don't exp[ect it to be as exciting as Qatar, but that was an absolutely briiliant start to the season.

BT Sports coverage was good, but no better than what Eurosport and the BBC did.

• 3 weeks later...

World Superbikes from Aragon and Moto GP from Texas this weekend. No surprise to see Marquez at the top of ths timing sheets from free practice. The Circuit of the Americas will suit the Hondas better.

In WSBK I'd like to sees Leon Camier have a good ride on the BMW. Always thought that bike would suit him. Laverty, Melandri and Sykes for the podium though.

Moto GP qualifying ended with my predicted top three for the podium in the top places, Marquez, Pedrosa, Bradl. And bar incidents that's how I expect the podium to look. But, anything can happen on race day. Less than 0.5 of a second between Marquez in pole and Rossi in 6th, with a gap then to Crutchlow, who is over a second off the pace. And he is such a bad starter he will go backwards on the first half lap!

I still think the Yamahas will have to settle for 4th and 5th at this circuit, but the seemless gearbox has shortened the gap and if Rossi is genuinly on form he could rattle some cages. Lorenzo still doesn't seem himself but he needs to limit Marquez lead by as much as he can today. Bring on Mugello, Assen etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a good weekend for Factory Yamaha at Texas, with Lorenzo's uncharacteristic jump start and Rossi suffering a front tyre problem that saw him drop from fighting for a podium spot to dropping back to 8th. End result was pretty much what I expected with the two Factory Hondas taking the first 2 places.

This weekend is the first race on the new circuit in Argentina. Historically, Rossi always says he doesn't like 'new' circuits, and having seen a lap of the circuit, it looks like another track that will play to the Hondas strengths. One long straight and lots of long sweeping bends. Not the kind of twistys the Yamahas work best on. And of course, everyone is up against the wonder kid Marquez, who astonishes more and more at every race.

Predictions? Marquez for the win, with Pedrosa.2nd and Lorenzo 3rd, with Rossi coming home in 4th.