• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

'dreadnought' On The Flea

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope that I'm not breaking house rules here, but have you seen it..... and the price!

If the chap from Natchez manages to sell it for that amount - and he will - just think of his profit!

There's also one in the sales section here - or was yesterday anyway – going for way more than that.

Stupid money for a so-so dive watch. I mean, seriously, you could get two used Sinn U1s for the price being asked in the sales section. :eek:

Edited by it'salivejim

Does seem a lot. You could grab a Black Bay or a Superocean for that kind of cash, and have a good sniff at a PO!

Still, they must have something to sell at that price. It is a nice looking watch (albeit not quire my taste).

It is a great name, though, eh?! :lol:

I really don't get that..

Watch built here... Builder pays tax on profits from selling watch... Buyer pays vat on bought watch... Buyer sells privately abroad... New owner sells back to UK and import duty is due?..

How many times are we going to tax the same item?

I know it's how it is but its criminal

Edited by gaz64

Hi Gaz64,

You write: "They have quite a following from the dark side." [Emphasis supplied].

Are you referring to Hell or Yorkshire? If the former, then I am sure that the Devil has sufficient conkers to pay what he likes.

Then again, I have heard a rumour that the Devil might live in Yorkshire in any case. Likes the weather apparently.

I really don't get that..

Watch built here... Builder pays tax on profits from selling watch... Buyer pays vat on bought watch... Buyer sells privately abroad... New owner sells back to UK and import duty is due?..

How many times are we going to tax the same item?

I know it's how it is but its criminal

If the watch was sold to a buyer lining outside of the EEC then VAT would not have been charged and therefore there would not be a double charge. If this watch was being sold by a UK dealer who was VAT registered then there could still be some additional VAT collected on hid mark-up.

If the watch was originally purchased by a UK resident who later sold it on a trip the USA and that seller now ships it back to a buyer in the UK then there would be an element of double VAT. The trouble is that it would probably be far too expensive to set and and monitor a system to avoid this when it is probably a fairly rare event.

Guest robert75

I've often wondered why these are so highly valued. Is it just the supply & demand?

The last one was discontinued and the most recent one was only in limited number as far as I can remember. That being said I also don't understand why they are fetching (Or rather asking) Such high prices. There has been a fair few comments on this on TZUK that people may have purchased to sell knowing it was a limited edition personally, that just gives me more reason not to buy.

Aside from that, I don't really like the watch.

So this is the proposition.

Design a watch - a good watch.

Give it a cult name (say 'The Ark Royal').

Give is a standard ETA 2824 movement BUT a body built by a respected German maker.

Most important of all, make it a limited edition.

Then watch what happens.

I am sure that Eddie Platt is as bemused as everybody else.

Personally, I think that this watch is the dogs danglies. However, that aside, what I love about the watch is that it has acquired a published owners register. Wow! Forget Rolex and Patek Phillipe.... how exclusive can you get!?!

Why not put one of Roy's in the same category.

Which one would you suggest??

Guest robert75

So this is the proposition.

Design a watch - a good watch.

Give it a cult name (say 'The Ark Royal').

Give is a standard ETA 2824 movement BUT a body built by a respected German maker.

Most important of all, make it a limited edition.

Then watch what happens.

I am sure that Eddie Platt is as bemused as everybody else.

Personally, I think that this watch is the dogs danglies. However, that aside, what I love about the watch is that it has acquired a published owners register. Wow! Forget Rolex and Patek Phillipe.... how exclusive can you get!?!

Why not put one of Roy's in the same category.

Which one would you suggest??

Christopher Ward watches do a limited edition one every year that forum members can vote on. They then tend to have a register of owners on the forum. I don't know if the Timefactors watch was intentional limited edition or if it was simply down to the availability of parts for the watch.

You have to remember that there's a difference between designing a case, especially one capable of real depths, and having it manufactured, and just buying standard stock parts and assembling them. It certainly became a very desirable piece and that's also no doubt also due to the very limited nature of the production...

You have to remember that there's a difference between designing a case, especially one capable of real depths, and having it manufactured

The manufacture of the various parts isn't really rocket science or some secret black art, with the right kit it'll spit them out probably about as quick as you can load the blank in the machine. For depth just make everything a bit more heavy duty and the job's a good un.

I doubt very much if this Eddie bloke is knocking out parts in a shed so presumably he just buys in the bits and assembles them. Then his @rse kissers, sorry sheeple on TZ drive the thing along out of all proportions.

http://www.dievaswatches.com/making-of-dievas.html

The link was chosen at random just to give an idea of the manufacturing process, there are other watch manufacturers.

:)

My point is that it's still a more expensive process to design your own case and produce it, which is what Eddie did, rather than just buy in stock OEM cases and does take more involvement in the whole process. The costs are therefore going to be higher. The increase in the re-sale price of these has been somewhat meteoric though but let's face it, it happens with all sorts of watches, some go ballistic for no apparent reason at times .... it's a funny old game... just look at the MIlsubs or Comex, an extra bit of writing and Boom ! :)

My point is that it's still a more expensive process to design your own case and produce it, which is what Eddie did, rather than just buy in stock OEM cases and does take more involvement in the whole process. The costs are therefore going to be higher.

Just buy one already made take it to bits have look and off you go. It's not new technology there are plenty of examples and watches that can go to incredible depths have been around for years. The development aspect is a good marketing tool but in reality he probably had it designed by someone who already does that for a living and the main thing rather than the function will be the look of it again just give the guy some ideas and let him come back to you, no black magic involved. At work we have a cad cam bloke that could probably knock up a watch case design in his dinner break.

I am not cynical enough to believe that EP connived at the whole thing.

I imagine that the Dreadnought was simply a natural progression from other watches that he was making at the time.

What you can say is that it is a watch (like, say, Damasco watches), where every detail has been thought through with love and care. I like to think that financial recompense was an afterthought.

In short, I am sure that EP is as bemused as everybody else with the way it has taking off.

I love the fact that there is even a map of the world showing where the owners are!

Robert75: Thanks for your point about Christopher Ward watches. I had no idea of that sort of thing going on. It sounds like a really good idea.

As to Mr Taylor's classic watch, my money is on the RLT30. The picture does not do it justice. This is an absolutely STUNNING watch. Next in line, the RLT32. Great looker with a great movement.