• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sicura Information Help Required Please

danoafc

I recently picked up this little cracker from a forum regular, and have been trying to do some research into the model but with very limited success.

D3752F96-52AA-463A-BB6D-09660DF22E4B_zpsleo4pyrn.jpg

As far as I know the model is a 'Yacht Timer' though I don't know that for certain. I think they were probably produced in the mid to late seventies but again that's only a guess. I know they use a cheap 17 jewel pin pallet movement.

Thus far, I've only found the following link to a 1975 Sicura catalogue but it doesn't appear in there (though the box is the same so presumably the right era). http://70swatchesgallery.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/sicura-squared-box-brochure/

I know about the brand and it's connection (sort of) with the Breitling rescue.

So, it's over to you guys and your mine of almost useless information to help me out!

Dan

sorry i dont know about the model itself but re the 'brietling' connection , all it is ,is that one company bought the other out - a sicura watch is not a brietling in any way shape or form - something that a lot of people dont understand looking at the prices some of the sicura fetch on fleabay.

I think they made quite a range of Regatta timers, which that is, during that period. Presumably the crown on the left turns the inner timing bezel to enable you to align the minute hand at the start of the countdown which occurs in five minute increments. That's in lovely condition, I'm envious..... :)

sorry i dont know about the model itself but re the 'brietling' connection , all it is ,is that one company bought the other out - a sicura watch is not a brietling in any way shape or form - something that a lot of people dont understand looking at the prices some of the sicura fetch on fleabay.

Hi Pugster

Yeah, I'm aware of the history between the 2 firms and the deliberate blurring of the facts to suit some ebay sellers. Trust me, I'm under no illusion that this watch has absolutely nothing to do with Breitling, and you'll be relieved to know I only paid more or less 'Sicura' rates for it. :wink:

I think they made quite a range of Regatta timers, which that is, during that period. Presumably the crown on the left turns the inner timing bezel to enable you to align the minute hand at the start of the countdown which occurs in five minute increments. That's in lovely condition, I'm envious..... :)

Hi Mike

I've seen some of the other regatta timers they made but haven't managed to track down any literature/catalogue or anything. I've seen this one referred to as a 'Yacht Master', but again only though watch forums and the like. Nothing more 'concrete' as it were.

You are absolutely right on the function of the left hand crown. And thank you, yes it is in remarkable condition. The starburst finish of the case (I think that's the right term) is pretty much flawless as are the crystal, hands, dial and pushers. Even the caseback is in great condition. It looks virtually unworn save for some very slight wear to the outer edge of the tachy scale on the outer bezel, which is amazing seeing as it looks great (in my eyes at least) and it's extremely comfortable.

I know they use a cheap 17 jewel pin pallet movement.

Never mind, further research has answered my own question. :rolleyes:

Later,

William

Hi William, yeah sorry, I'd looked it up on the ranfft web page thingy and somehow got pin pallet in my head, when it quite clearly says pin lever! Doh!!

I know they use a cheap 17 jewel pin pallet movement.

Never mind, further research has answered my own question. :rolleyes:

Later,

William

Hi William, yeah sorry, I'd looked it up on the ranfft web page thingy and somehow got pin pallet in my head, when it quite clearly says pin lever! Doh!!

It seems their isn't a big difference anyway. :)

Later,

William