• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Cubby

Newbie Watch “Nut�

Hello, my name is Alan – or Cubby to my friends. I live up t' north and have been collecting watches since 1998. I call myself a watch “NUT†because I cant stop looking at, reading about, and buying watches. My latest watch is a Lebem Spitzberg calendographe, with pointer and days of the week in French around the bezel, ( I would like to use this opportunity to thank Mel for the link he posted to a similar Lebem, on an earlier topic I found on this forum ).

My “poshest†watch is a 1964, Rolex Explorer in stainless with black face which I bought from a Sheffield jeweler in 1998 and started my interest in watches. But the most joy I get is from an old beat up 70's retro Sekonda, made in USSR, TV style watch which I bought as part of a non working job lot off the Bay. It was in a very sorry state and I deduced it must have belonged to a potatoe planter who was a motorbike stunt rider in his spare time! After a couple of tweeks the movement sprang to life – and kept going! A quick polish of the crystal revealed a lovely metalic blue face, with day & date, and is on my wrist as I type, still keeping good time. The chrome case is very scratched and I have considered having it re-chromed, but will probably leave as is.

The first watch I ventured to take apart and clean was a vintage 40's Lucerne, which is now a bag of bits in a tin. The vintage Lucerne has got to be the most – or one of the most difficult watches to work on. No doubt I will be corrected!

I will post pictures of some of my collection over the coming months ( if anyone wants to see them ).

So - signing off now, but I will be staying in tune to the forum for some interesting tips and snippits.

And if I can help – some comments from me.

TTFN -Cubby