• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
neiln

Ebay Love/hate And Strategies

like most, I don't use it loads but do buy and sell bits on ebay, although not normally watches. I am currently the highest bidder on a watch though, and it has me thinking...i love and hate the 'bay.

I hate :

selling the odd thing and listing it as collection only then having the winning bidder ask you to post it

selling something and have it go 30 quid below every similar item has in the last month....what was wrong with my listing!?

being out bid just when I thought 'its mine!'

I love

getting a bargain (rarely!)

the easy research...finding the going price for something

and most of all...the excitement as it builds...even if it does lead to that 'It's mine! ...oh....no its not!' moment

I tend to not bother with snipe and such like, and will usually put a bid in early after deciding what my maximum is, and I'm good at sticking to that normally so if I'm outbid, I'm out bid. I know lots of bidders manually or automated bid in the last few seconds...and in all probability I'll be outbid on the watch I am interested in...but its been 'mine' for 3 days so far, with no activity at all...could I get lucky? doubt it..but I'm enjoying the ride :D

so, do you like or hate the 'bay? what's your bidding strategy?

oh and I spotted a fairly rare watch currently listed. no bids yet. mk ii kingston, out of my price range currently, but I have drawled at the photos!

and most of all...the excitement

Seriously ???

:lol: :lol:

what's your bidding strategy?

:See what I want

:Call Big M's daughter

:Tell her the item number

:Get her to sort it out

:Retire to boozer

:Wait for her to drop item off

:)

and most of all...the excitement

Seriously ???

:lol: :lol:

what's your bidding strategy?

:See what I want

:Call Big M's daughter

:Tell her the item number

:Get her to sort it out

:Retire to boozer

:Wait for her to drop item off

:)

:lol:

Later,

William

I'm new to buying watches but not new to ebay so I consider myself capable (and never blame anyone for my own stupidity) and I have had a couple of what I consider very nice buys, once my collection takes shape I wlll ask opinions.

I do sell medals and small pieces of militaria and often notice strange activity. For example on one medal which should go for in excess of 60 quid, yesterday one bidder (a dealer) withdrew his high bid of 23.99 stating he entered the wrong amount, that was an obvious ploy to see where the bidding was at and happens regularly. This morning this item has had 26 bids of £1 and less increments (22 by one bidder, not automatic bids) and is still only at £22. It has 2 days to go so anything can happen.

I always clearly state I will only deal with and send to UK bidders but always have bids placed from overseas, the biggest culprits, Poland and Australia. And the biggest niggle, condition questions immediately after an individual has won an item or 20 minutes after I have taken it to the post office. Rant over.

the days of buying watches at a cheap price on ebay is long gone , about 7/8 years ago i was making decent pocket money buying up old chronographs- refurbing them and selling them on with better photographs , now i cant even buy an old valjoux/landeron/venus for what i used to sell them for (at the time i was paying between £50-80 for them) .

most things on ebay are cheaper elsewhere and regardless of sales fees the chances of you getting robbed by dodgy buyers is too high for me to concider selling anything on there and i use it as a last resort , even gumtree is better for sellers and you are dealing face to face with cash.

these days i use ebay for things i cant find elsewhere or on the odd occasion something is cheaper than the shops.

In my opinion, relating to collectibles, in the majority of sales ebay has given the man (or woman) on the street the opportunity to obtain a fair price for items that they either wouldn't have bothered selling or would have been persuaded to sell at a laughable price to a dealer, for every high bid there is an underbidder not that far behind. It has allowed many choice items to come on to the market.

Edited by Mick B

Indeed Mick I agree. And although the fees seem a bit much sometimes, overall it's a good service from eBay....so long as the buyers/sellers behave.

I bought a snap on ratchet a few months ago but the seller mixed up his address labels with other sales and posted me an extension bar. No problem , I said I'd send it on to the correct person and he agreed to refund the postage ( a few quid as it weighed a bit). I sent it on and I got my ratchet (probably sent on in a similar fashion). Great..... Then the seller stiffed me for the postage..... Bugger.

Still the high bigger on the watch.... I wonder.... Will I be lucky?

Big hate is snipers who use sniping softwear. I was comfortably the highest bidder on a lovely watch by a good 45 quid last month and had been for days. 6 bids came in in the last 2 seconds. SIX!!!

Big hate is snipers who use sniping softwear. I was comfortably the highest bidder on a lovely watch by a good 45 quid last month and had been for days. 6 bids came in in the last 2 seconds. SIX!!!

That's what I do though - wait until the last 10 secs to put in a bid as long as the price hasn't gone stupid. No sniping software involved :)

Edited by it'salivejim

its simple - you did not bid enough , all snipping software does is bid the snipers max bid in the last few seconds -if you had bid higher than the sniper you would have still won it.

theres nothing mysterious about sniping software , you still put your max bid in it the same as when you bid on ebay as normal.

I snipe all the time and, yes, Pugster's quite right. It's no different to placing a maximum bid other than that you aren't giving away your bid max bit by bit. No matter what, the highest bid wins.

And if you think eBay's costs are high, then try buying at an auction where you'll pay anything from 15% to 22% and more - plus VAT on the commission - plus a surcharge for bidding online through the Saleroom.com - plus extortionate postage costs. It's also cheaper to sell on eBay than some auction houses.

I've bought some cracking watches on eBay and I've bought the odd duff item - just like any auction. If you sell stuff and get asked for condition reports after the sale, then the inference is that it's not been described fully. I describe all my watches (and other items) as fully and as accurately as possible, with high quality photographs showing all aspects of the item. My rating is 100% - and I want to keep it that way!

Caveat emptor.

Edited by Will Fly

As a pocket watch collector, I do buy now and again from the USA.

I hate the Global Postage thingy and steer away from sellers who use this system.

Now I appreciate that postal charges for overseas have gone up in the USA but I think that this seller is taking the mickey see item 301121486250 which has recently ended, especially when you have to pay the Global Postage charges on top!!!

Regards

David

Anything available on there... I had to get boys bow tie for my sons school play... How long would that have taken me to find one in town? Well, 30 seconds of research and a buy it now and my son was the proud owner of a boy sized bow tie for £3.95 = result !!!

A great number of bargains here... I'm very patient and use the saved search facility a lot... I wanted some 7ft bi-fold doors and didn't want to pay £2.5k, so 18 months later whilst on holiday in Croatia I got some for £600... I only need to be as patient with watch purchases!

Yep... Use my bidder on ipad... Great bit of sniping kit :tongue2:

Edited by Wolf

Don't use evilbay no more. Limited range of opportunities to buy what you want, but face to face transactions on Wightbay here on the Isle of Wight are much better. Bought an Olympus camera yesterday, good price, owner explained all. Good deal.

Mike

Buying on Ebay is fine and perfectly safe. Buyers are well protected. And there are still bargains to be found and modest profits to be made. No doubt about that.

Selling on Ebay is much more dicey. As long as you understand the risks and minimise your chances of grief then it's still fine.

I always sell watches with one golden rule. Anything of any value (£100 or more say) goes on a buy-it-now or best offer option. The best benefit of 'best offer' is not to create more interest as some people believe. It is a perfect device so as to be able to vett your buyers. Everyone will make an offer instead of buying outright so it allows you to have a good look at the buyer before accepting their offer. It also enables you to weed out international buyers if you want to sell UK only.

List valuable watches on an auction basis and you're playing with fire.

Oh and one other pet hate - the seller that has their item being available to international buyers but then says in the description that they sell to USA only - 281281032453 - being case in point.

A couple of posts have mentioned weeding out international buyers like it was a dark art. All you need to do is set up an exclusion list. I sell to the EU with a number of exceptions I cherry pick from a list of countries. People from countries on my exclusion list can't bid on my items - simple :)

I've used ebay for about 10 years, mainly as a buyer though also as a seller. The only time I've had the remotest problem was when I naively put a bid in on an Omega Seamaster which I should have known looked too cheap. I was glad not to have won the watch though a couple of days after the auction ended I had a message from the seller telling me the winning bid had fallen through and I had first option on the watch. I told the guy didn't want it though he was insistent I should buy it from him. I told him where to go and never heard anymore. Some tips I've learnt from ebay of late are:

If bidding on an overseas item you really want, don't put your first bid in towards the end of the auction. It's probably worth putting in a small bid earlier on in case the seller hasn't set the auction up properly for overseas bids. If you bid once early on and it doesn't allow you to bid because of an unintended overseas bidding restriction, at least you have good time to contact the seller.

Secondly, though I'm not sure on this one entirely, I think you can actually save on some of the fees by including the postage within the price. Perhaps someone could verify this point? This is easy enough to do when selling with a buy it now or best offer option. Also, you can't get any negative ratings on post or packaging when you do it free of charge.

Postage is now charged the same 10% fee so offering free post avoids that, but of course you still have to pay the actual postage. I just build it in to my starting price.

I'm still winning. In to the last day now....

Set up an alert on your phone for 5 minutes before the end and forget about it :yes:

All the bidding action happens in the final minute if it's a desirable piece so there's no point in doing anything until then. Like I said before, make your absolute highest bid at about 10 secs, and you may get lucky, or someone may have set a higher bid. It's all part of the addiction :lol: