• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

Which One Do I Buy?

Dear Members, I accidentally posted an unfinished topic the other day which ended up consisting of just a photograph of the new Breitling for Bentley watch. What amazed me was that the accidental topic took off and led to a fascinating discussion.

I now have to bring you all crashing down to a level at which I usually purchase my wrist watches - under £30. I have in mind two budget Casio watches which are both in the sub-£30 price bracket. I quite fancy both but I must limit myself to one.

I have already mentioned on the Forum that I feel I ought to get a solar watch for my collection, but they are almost all way over my normal budget. The only one I really like that is within my price range is the orange and black Casio Tough Solar shown here, which costs a few quid under £30.

0079767948122_500X500.jpg

I quite like the boldness of the design and colours but I am concerned that this watch just has too many features for my poor brain, and these all have to be displayed on that small screen - and do I really want 5 alarms!?

The alternative choice of Casio watch is a bit more unusual in design and has a quirkiness that I like. It has a ten year battery life but I do wonder what sort of battery it will use and can I eventually replace it? Also, is it likely to leak before the ten years is up? Anyway here is that watch, which is only £14.99. Members advice is sought as to which of these watches they prefer, bearing in mind the price difference and other factors.

mt-hda600b-7.jpg?_ex=128x128

If members could post all their technical advice on batteries and their attacks on my two choices as soon as possible then I can choose which of these cheapo Casios to add to my collection. Many thanks everyone. :notworthy:

If the watches are available to try on,check the straps for comfort and durability,and yes ,size..

Red one looks most interesting,just think of the entertainment setting it up and playing with it,it MUST be worth the extra.

Hours of fun.

At £14.99 for a 10 year battery life why worry about having to change it, just buy a new watch even if it only lasts 5 years its a bargain. I've got a Casio 10yr digital one, had it 4 years now and its still a spot on time keeper cost me a tenner at the time.

:fox:

Personally I'd push it a couple of quid past £30 and get an AQ-S810 - same module as your first option but chunkier case more in the G-Shock style.

Beyond that - if it's definitely between the two you have listed I would go for the AQ-S800.

689453d1335251274-my-first-review-recent-purchase-poor-mans-ga-1xx-aq-s800w_n_aq-s810w_1.jpg

5344-AQS810W.jpg

:cheers:

Rich.

Go for the solar version AW, you have a solar itch that needs scratching and it doesn't really matter if you master all the functions as long as you can set the time :) enjoy whichever you decide upon

Definately the first one , the second one is a small watch , more boy's size...my son has got one. I nearly bought the first one a while ago as i wanted a cheap beater watch for work and thought the price was good considering it was Solar. While browsing i found another Casio solar watch for around the same price , these are slightly bigger with a 42mm case and a "Military" look to them. As you are not too bothered about the alarm features etc , one of these normal analogue MRW-S300H watches might be ok for you.

CasioMRW-S300H01_zps635d1b6a.jpg

MRWS300H05_zpse1cab2de.jpg

MRWS300H02_zps057fd3b3.jpg

avoid that second one. had it moved it on. its small and looks cheap. ok for gardening or fettling of whatever sort perhaps.

also the only casio i have ever owned that the second hand fell off :lol:

i did remove it (the second hand) and sold it (the rest of the watch) on with full disclosure.

cant say i particularly like the aesthetic of the first one but it is at least a bit more cheerful than the other.

and no, i no longer have the offending second hand :tongue2:

Edited by Rotundus

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. On balance, it's going to be a solar powered example, as clearly the second watch I liked has problems, and deep down, as Rolandski says, I have an itch for a solar powered watch. Thanks also to those members who showed me offerings which are like the solar powered model but a bit different. firstly, from Retronaut, there is the added chunkiness of the AQS810 but I am not sure it would suit me as I have quite small wrists, and the aesthetics are for me just not quite right. My favourite of the alternatives to the orange and black one I chose (and yes, I do agree bridgeman, it might be fun to fiddle with all the features of that watch - for a while!) is the red and black watch shown by jbw. It satisfies my constant desire for simplicity in watch design, and today, I certainly need a bit of simplicity having spent ages trying to recalibrate a quartz three-subdial analogue chronograph to no avail.

Thanks again everyone for the help. :) :) :)