UK Watch Forum banner

Two Wheels Good

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  TONY M 
#1 ·
Anyone into cycling?

Plan on picking this up for myself on Saturday:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Peloton-Race-Compact-2014-Road-Bike_66780.htm

My first 'proper' bike... Quite excited. Bought a pinnacle (Evans cycles own-brand) hybrid on a whim a year and a half ago as an occasional hobby but ended up taking to cycling like a duck to water and have long outgrown the hybrid - looking forward to getting on something decent!

#4 ·
I bought this Marin Rocky Ridge about 6 years ago and I love it. Wouldn't want to swap it for anything else now.

24022009181.jpg

Got a Carrera road bike in the cycle to work scheme thru work but don't use it as often as the mountain bike. I use a bike at work too, so get a few miles a year done on two wheels.

#15 ·
Here is my track bike from a couple of years ago although it hasn't changed much.

13423865544_e67de8a1bf_z.jpg

I'm the one standing behind the Dutch Sprinter (Nils Van 't Hoenderdaal) looking despondent in this photo.

13423655953_ae8538122c_z.jpg

This is me at the Sprint Nationals last summer (yes my rear is really that big).

13423897744_a9c18609a4_c.jpg

Tony

#16 ·
Lovely stuff tony, takes a man to wear Lycra that well! I'm still at the stage where I think about leaving the house then hesitate and stick some loose shorts over the top!

Impressed that we've some real cyclists on here, I'm very much an enthusiastic and very amateur novice

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lovely stuff tony, takes a man to wear Lycra that well! I'm still at the stage where I think about leaving the house then hesitate and stick some loose shorts over the top!
Well that's what I keep saying and that real men have to shave their legs too! Back before cycling was more popular the comments and stares I got from people for wearing tight lycra was something else not that I cared, but most don't say much nowadays and I wouldn't worry about it. :D

Impressed that we've some real cyclists on here, I'm very much an enthusiastic and very amateur novice
I very rarely cycle on the roads nowadays and actually have rode less than 500 miles in total during the past 3 years, nobody believes me but it's true. I have also not been able to train properly since breaking my wrists 7 months ago. Unfortunately there will be no track sprinting for a while for me as the only nearby velodrome is too bumpy for me to ride comfortably. Although I am not ruling out competition entirely this year I accept that I will be under par.

It seems like no time since I was walking around with these gloves.

2ba6.jpg
oa0f.jpg

Tony

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've got these two - one was new last year (the Whyte Cambridge hybrid) & the other is quite old (Scott Endorphin Elite) both are in road trim. Even though the Scott is a superb mtb I've only ever done a tiny amount of off-road cycling but never really got into it. I don't cycle anything like as much as I used to unfortunately but do still cycle as a means of getting to work, I still enjoy it though despite being cream crackered when I get there. My wife has never learnt to cycle, & has no intention of learning now - even though it'd do her fitness levels the world of good - so there's not much incentive for me to cycle for fun i.e. just take our bikes somewhere & pootle along a canal towpath for instance. Also my fitness level is pretty bloody woeful these days, compared to how I used to be anyway, so I find it quite hard work - though obviously my fitness levels will improve the more I cycle.

Of the two I prefer the Scott - it's the sharpest bike I've ever ridden without a doubt & it just feels right when I'm on it, unfortunately it's showing its age & the gears need attention (I have the parts just need to fit them). The Whyte is undoubdtedly a fine bike also but feels a bit top heavy (it's running 700c wheels as opposed to the Scott's 26" jobbies), doesn't have any sort of suspension so you feel every ripple in the road & despite it having better road gearing/wheels it doesn't feel any faster. It's a 10 mile trip to work & it takes me about an hour whichever one I use.

Anyway here they are (apologies for the poor picture of the Whyte):

ScottEndorphonElite_zps9072c0ce.jpg

IMG_2534_zps6047a25e.jpg

#23 ·
I like the whyte for a nice town bike to get about on.

Anyway - finally picked up the cube on Friday, it's lovely. First couple of hours I spent on it were a bit wobbly, very different ride to my old hybrid, have settled in now though and can't get enough! Only the rain that has brought me back indoors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.