• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
no8yogi

Does A Watch Need To Tell The Time?

In the 2 watches thread Bond makes an interesting point that if you spank £150k on a car and then get a watch that you can hardly read the time on to match does it matter? Sometimes watches are simply pieces of art and excercises in engineering, I give for you an example of the Titanic DNA day & night watch. http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2008/04/25/the-300000-watch-that-doesnt-tell-time/ one balance wheel turns in the AM and the other turns in the PM, if you had the money would you still get it? The only thing that would put me off getting this (other than the price!!) is the fact it is made from bits of the Titanic and I find that creepy.

Do you know of any other watches that dont perform their major function but are either works of art of pieces of engineering wonder? Pictures would be good

13308965575_49f30b1e2e.jpg

Untitled by jorritschrauwers, on Flickr

this is the 'offending watch'

cheers

Yogi

Does a watch need to tell the time?

YES.

I appreciate a good piece of engineering, but there is no excuse for a totally useless bit of mechanical tatt.

I might as well colour in the face of all my automatic watches with black marker pen then swan about bragging about how super duper the movement is...

This Titanic thingy might be a nice collectable, but as a watch it's rubbish with a capital S.

this is all really subjective. good engineering amongst many other things prizes function for the most part over fashion, efficiency over waste.

this is at best ( but not imho) art - and art can be any ol' crap really, beauty in the eye of the beholder (or more realistically the wallet holder)

for the record the only bit of the titanic i want to be strapped to is Kate Winslet :heart:

A watch does not need to tell time. I doubt a watch even cares what time it is. On the other hand, people who wear watches do need to be able to tell time, otherwise they could just as well wear a manky bracelet of some sort and forget about a watch. :wink2:

Later,

William

This is a good question - or is it? Certainly, as a collector of every sort of watch from the daft to the ridiculous, I can assure you that I have come across a fair number of watches that one could hardly use to tell the time with, and some of these are amazing designs in their own right. The question is - are they really watches, or are they pieces of jewellery or at least ornamental body-ware.

I'm afraid that I am a bit of a stickler for function when it comes to watches and I believe that a watch, from a £10 cheapie to a multi-thousand pound piece of superb engineering in miniature, should be able to show the correct time without requiring some sort of wierd eyesight. In essence, I am a form follows function man, and my all-time favourite watches are simple and clean-looking, so that one can tell the time immediately, with nary a glance. Neverthelss, as I have already said, when it comes to actually collecting, my madness drives me to collect all sorts of watches, from the madness of women's "cocktail watches" with faces so small you need a microscope to read them to abstract designs where you need a degree in - well something - to understand how they are meant to be read.

no8yogi has hit on a point about that Titanic watch, and not in how it tells the time. It is the creepiness of the thing that most gets me, followed by its rather repellent design. And as I write this post, another has just come in from handlehall where he comments that this watch seems to have been fashioned from a chocolate chip cookie. He has said the words my brain was trying to formulate, especially when it comes to the bezel on that Titanic watch. Art or watch - Indeed that Titanic piece needs to be buried at sea where it belongs.

The "offending watch" looks like it has been lovingly crafted from chocolate chip cookie.

So, no time-telling capability AND inedible? :D

I'm all for art but to me ultra high-end engineering that achieves nothing seems rather pointless. And there is NO CHANCE that I would adorn myself with pieces of the Titanic.

All I'll say is that Big M frequently wears watches that don't work simply because it matches her outfit and its worn simply as an accessory hence my comment about the Bentley Brightbling in the other thread, I doubt if the bloke I saw recently getting out of his private plated Continentals' first thought when he bought the matching Brightbling that he was wearings' first thought was its time keeping.

I don't doubt to most here that is an alien concept but we are a minuscule sample of watch buyers, a bit like these weirdy beardy real ale types where as most people will just neck a couple of pints of whatever is available and without comment or interest move on to the Vodka shots. You can work the rest out for yourselves.

:lol: :lol:

I could write a diatribe on what I think of that watch and its "creator" but I won't.

I agree with Always"watching" - it needs to be buried at sea, preferably back on board the Titanic from which some of the metal came to create that so called watch.

Regards

David

The Titanic watch looks hideous. To me, the core function of a watch is to tell the time. If this core function is completely sacrificed in the name of art, the resultant object in my opinion sacrifices it's status as a watch and becomes nothing more than art. Art exists for arts sake, watches exist to tell the time.

Bond - I'm guessing there are a lot of real ale drinkers on this site!

The Titanic watch looks hideous. To me, the core function of a watch is to tell the time. If this core function is completely sacrificed in the name of art, the resultant object in my opinion sacrifices it's status as a watch and becomes nothing more than art. Art exists for arts sake, watches exist to tell the time.

Bond - I'm guessing there are a lot of real ale drinkers on this site!

It does tell Am and Pm so functions a bit and at some point you will know its 12!

I also agree the Titanic is a grave and these are no better than grave robbers, also if I was aviva (what remains of the original insurer) I would be claiming my share from the maker as they paid out in full so the wreck belongs to them in theory

A watch should be able to show the wearer the time, mind you, if you are wearing a watch with no lume in the dark, does it cease to be a watch?

A watch should be able to show the wearer the time, mind you, if you are wearing a watch with no lume in the dark, does it cease to be a watch?

Do glasses cease to be glasses in the dark?

Later,

William

Nasty to look at, expensive and ultimately useless. I don't like it. A watch should be able to tell the time IMHO. I can think of so many better things to spend 300k on. An engineering feat sure and possibly art or jewellery but pointless as a watch.

I don't really get the Titanic issue, surely its just recycling on a grand scale. For example how many tin cans, implements or what ever are made from recycled vehicles where there was a fatality and you don't think twice about where it came from.

Or some years ago I was working in a big shed when a bloke fell through the roof and was minced, 70' and landing on your head does that to you. Eventually the building was knocked down and all recycled one way or another.

I don't really get the Titanic issue, surely its just recycling on a grand scale. For example how many tin cans, implements or what ever are made from recycled vehicles where there was a fatality and you don't think twice about where it came from.

Or some years ago I was working in a big shed when a bloke fell through the roof and was minced, 70' and landing on your head does that to you. Eventually the building was knocked down and all recycled one way or another.

True enough, people are rather selective about these things. You never hear about people calling for the immediate shut down of a motorway until a bypass can be built, after deaths in a large pile-up. That would be inconvenient.

Later,

William

Do glasses cease to be glasses in the dark?

Later,

William

Unless they incorporate night vision, then.... ....maybe?

True enough, people are rather selective about these things. You never hear about people calling for the immediate shut down of a motorway until a bypass can be built, after deaths in a large pile-up. That would be inconvenient.

Later,

William

Usually on a motorway after a big pile-up the bodies are removed, technically and in many family member's minds Titanic is still a grave.

Later,

William

Usually on a motorway after a big pile-up the bodies are removed, technically and in many family member's minds Titanic is still a grave.

Fair comment but I suspect after this length of time there won't be much left and few actual surviving relatives rather than someone's long lost auntie or whatever so I still don't see the issue. Plenty of old graves are cleared for various reasons, building houses is only one and nobody cares.

William is correct in his "selective memory" idea

Quite educational, this forum, In a few short posts we have gone from discussing a watch, touched on philosophy and finally ethics! Where else can you get all that in two pages!?

Edited by Caller