• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
digibloke

My Vintage Lcd Collection

box.jpg

They're all working fine and all are in more or less NOS condition. I store the oldest ones (bottom row middle 2) without batteries as they really gobble them up. I have a couple more on my wish list but it's going to be one in one out from now on.

Very nice! I have a soft spot for vintage lcds and have a few Seiko ones left, I love the Pam Am world time bottom left, Ive had a fair few of them over the years but sadly not anymore... Cost the same as a Rolex Sub in 1979!

002_zps8d119b46.jpgvery nice collection,in particular the older ones,the seventies was the decade of my youth so pulling a few nostalgia strings here.i have but the one in my collection ,bought because texas intruments uk was local to me.it looks a bit solitary in the collection so will probably move it on,heres a couple of pics,....001_zps94160f48.jpg Edited by greasemonk

Like Greasmonkey above, I remember the new digital era from my youth, with the LED variants, then the LCD coming of age. I really love the collection.

The big old hunk of steel on the bottom row reminds me of "Gort" from the original film "The day the Earth stood still".

I really should get an old LCD for my collection, they're so cool.

Thanks for sharing the pics of your great collection!

IMG_3749.jpg

The big gold one at the bottom is an Epsa-Optel Segtronic. It was one of the very first LCD's on the market and it's massive (it had to be as the movement/module was largely hand soldered). What I like best about it is that you set the time with a crown and stem as with an analogue watch. It's gold filled to 80 microns with 18k as well so it looks a bit bling :-)

That is a very nice collection - certainly taken me back to the 70's when I had one or two or three at various times.

IMHO you ought to keep those and expand your collection.

Regards

David

box.jpg

They're all working fine and all are in more or less NOS condition. I store the oldest ones (bottom row middle 2) without batteries as they really gobble them up. I have a couple more on my wish list but it's going to be one in one out from now on.

Lovely collection there,I have just started mine with a Hamilton/Pulsar/Omega LED on bracelet.

Apparently the module is the same as the Omega TC3 Constellation,I also have my eye on a couple of Seiko LEDs.

I had one of the first LCD watches, can't remember the maker, it had the loudest alarms that I've ever heard on a watch.

Sadly it ate batteries but I can remember watching fascinated as the numbers clicked over.

I honestly thought that the day of analogue mechanical watches was over.

I had one of the first LCD watches, can't remember the maker, it had the loudest alarms that I've ever heard on a watch.

Sadly it ate batteries but I can remember watching fascinated as the numbers clicked over.

My sentiments also luddite (Analogue mechanical).

I was nowt but a lad in my teens when I thought they were fading out,although mechanical has come back full swing.

That said lcd only seems to be used in multigraph watches.

My sentiments also luddite (Analogue mechanical).

I was nowt but a lad in my teens when I thought they were fading out,although mechanical has come back full swing.

That said lcd only seems to be used in multigraph watches.

I have a Breitling Aerospace,an Omega Multifunction and a Tissot which rely on their twin lcd displays.

So the lcd watch is still live and kicking

Edited by luddite

Not a headline we see often in the Electric Watches section - - but impressive just the same. They have a charm but sadly, not much of a heart tickin' away, :lol:

I'm glad someone is taking on the preservation of this kind of piece :yes:

I've a couple of TIMEX, a Skiathom and an Expedition sort of thing, but it's for convenience rather than collecting them - - they go through security usually without triggering the alarm being mostly plastic. :)

Right, who's got a set of LED watches to show and tell about?