• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Raptor

Smoking To Vaping?

24 minutes ago, mexico75 said:

Cheers for the info

That sums it up for me, cheers for the info. Think I'll stick with what I know for now, haven't got the time money or inclination to start looking at it any other way than a cigarette replacement at the minute. I've been vaping on and of for a couple of years but exclusively and full time since about July last year. Deffo went through that taste bud reboot thing you were talking about, only thing I could taste was menthol when I started, onto more subtle flavours now although I do mix in some menthol occasionally for more of a throat hit.

I'm still after the perfect tank but I'm pretty set on a lot of fronts. They would need to come up with something really revolutionary for me to invest more on this. Waiting to see if more leakless design tanks come out besides the Cubis but so far only two other have and those are subohm tanks - so they are out. 

...uhm, with all the money saved, maybe I should get a new watch.... NOOOOOOOOoooo!!!! :taz::laugh: 

• Like 1

After working my way through various different kinds of eciggie, i've settled on a couple of devices that give me a nice vapour and some flexibility in vapourizer choice.

They're the two on the right in this pic:

ECigs

The one on the right is an Aspire Pegasus battery box with a Nautilus tank on top. Alternatively, for big clouds, I put my Atlantis on it instead.

The one in the middle is my Aspire Plato all-in-one, which is easily pocketable and my out-and-about device.

On the left is my old egrip, which was good, but losing charge and, as the battery isn't exchangeable, effectively finished.

The Plato is great since, although an all-in-one, it has exchangeable battery and glass so it's easy to clean and replace the battery when it fades or replace the tank glass if I drop it.

Aspire Plato

Cheers,

-wotsch

• Like 1

^^ The Plato is a great all in one kit! Clearly an Aspire fan... you need to add the new Nautilus X to that collection :laugh: 

Also check out the new Egrip if you haven't already, it's a hell of an upgrade from the previous models. Two major cons though... also comes with an non removable battery and... you can play Flappy Birds on the freaking mod itself :alcoholic: 

I was curious about the new Eleaf Lyche tank because, being Joyetech owned, I thought they would use the same coils. Turns out they are not compatible and Eleaf uses 0.2ohmn coils which is ridiculously low. It's the sort of tank that ploughs through 30 to 50ml of juice a day!!   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wotsch said:

No! I don't need any more devices or tanks. I don't. Really I don't.

Sh*t.

:laugh: Addictive personality, right? Mods, watches, tobacco, shinny things... :thumbsup:

On the Nautilus X, jury's still out if it's something worth getting if you already own an original Nautilus. It's more of a TPD ready thing, being non-leak and 2ml of capacity.

Besides, by the time I finish writing this post, China has released 3 new tanks, no way to keep up.  

I'm a fellow vaper too. I used to smoke 20-30 cigs a day until about 2 years ago. Since I started vaping I have not had a cig since. I tried all sorts like willpower, patches, gum and tablets but failed miserably. If anything, it's the best decision I ever made. The first moth was the hardest as I just wanted to have 1 more smoke--but instead kept vaping. Now I don't miss ciggies anymore.

I refuse to pay higher prices for eliquid. I normally buy £1 10ml bottles from onepoundeliquid or 30ml bottle for £5, Both are excellent quality.

At the start, it takes a while to find a good set up that works for you. I havent bought a new ecig mod for a while now and just use what I have. It can handle most coils and set up and lasts me all day.

2 hours ago, mtysox said:

I'm a fellow vaper too. I used to smoke 20-30 cigs a day until about 2 years ago. Since I started vaping I have not had a cig since. I tried all sorts like willpower, patches, gum and tablets but failed miserably. If anything, it's the best decision I ever made. The first moth was the hardest as I just wanted to have 1 more smoke--but instead kept vaping. Now I don't miss ciggies anymore.

I refuse to pay higher prices for eliquid. I normally buy £1 10ml bottles from onepoundeliquid or 30ml bottle for £5, Both are excellent quality.

At the start, it takes a while to find a good set up that works for you. I havent bought a new ecig mod for a while now and just use what I have. It can handle most coils and set up and lasts me all day.

Congrats! Getting a good kit is very important, usually people decide to try and, because it is just trying, they go with something very cheap. Then they'll conclude vaping just doesn't work for them when they can't conclude that, just that that kit didn't work. Considering the prices on mainstream brands, one should go with the best and more expensive bit of kit. It will cost you a week or two in cigarette money (if that) and it will have a much bigger chance of working and keep working for a long time. 

What are you using? If it can handle most coils, I'm assuming it's something that can take Aspire Atlantis-style coils as that is probably the most used type of coil. Or you have a Morph that has swappable decks for different type of coils.       

Im using a Vaporflask Classic. Has dual 1865 batteries, nicely made - feels good in hand. Im a heavy vaper too. So far in over 6 moths or so--it has never misfired or misbehaved. Upto 150W and supports Nickel, Titanium and SS coils with Wattage/TC mode. I use it with an Aspire Triton 2. Its a combo that works for me. I'm not that big on rebuildables.

• Like 1

It's a great board on that mod and the dual parallel setup makes a lot more sense than series boxes IMO. That thing will last you forever :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

Think I may go to town tomorrow or Saturday and see what the local shops have in stock , I feel like a change of equipment, nothing too complex or technical for me but just after something diferent 

Just now, jsud2002 said:

Think I may go to town tomorrow or Saturday and see what the local shops have in stock , I feel like a change of equipment, nothing too complex or technical for me but just after something diferent 

They end up all being very simple to use, even if they have tons of options. My main devices all have temperature control and customizable resistance curves but I use them mostly on power mode - watts up up or down, if that. The options are there on the menu if you want to mess with that really but don't have to.  

IMO the only devices that might be too technical are the ones with the Evolv DNA200 board. They usually need to be plugged and calibrated correctly through a PC programe and it involves calibrating things like the right sort of battery, TC profiles, etc. They are big 200W devices with also big price tags (around £150 probably), so it's hard to mistake them for anything else.

Just look at the form factor, if you want built in battery or not, if it's from a well known brand, things like that. Having more options is just a bonus that you don't need to use and don't really pay any extra for.

A possible thing to look out for is that a lot of new devices don't adjust in volts. They will show you how many volts you are drawing from the battery but adjustments are made in watts only.        

Innokin is a great brand, no way of going wrong with them. No TC on that one to mess about either. In fact, Innokin resisted the TC trend for a very long time, I thing they just released their first TC capable mod in 2016.  

As for what TC is, it's just a different way the mod regulates power. You adjust the device in temperature(say 420Fº) and it will adjust the power output to stay within that temperature range. It will throttle up or down power automatically to keep the temperature, sort of like a cruise control. Theoretically, the advantages are you should save battery (because it doesn't just dump power at a certain rate), save liquid (because you are not overheating it) and not burning the cotton on your coils if they go dry because the mod just won't fire. In reality I notice it uses more power (because you usually set a higher ramp up power to reach the temp you ant right away), don't notice any diference in liquid usage and yes, it does prevent cotton burning.   

I personally don't use it and don't like it, I just feel it makes the vapor go weak after a while and I can tell for myself if I'm about to get a dry hit. I'm a mouth to lunger though, it's probably harder to tell if you straight lung it. I occasionally use that mode on my main tanks that like to start going dry from time to time but it's something very specific about the coils on my Cubis tanks.   

The thing with TC is that you need coils with a wire that changes resistance properties with heat (nickel, titanium or SS) because the mod doesn't have any temperature sensor. You put it a new coil, it reads the resistance value and the oscillation on that value while power is going through it is what tells the mod what temperature the coil is doing because the mod is always reading the resistance. It's more temperature guessing derived from an algorithm that correlates resistance changes to a temperature. You end up with a complete mess if you set your resistance with a  coil that was fired and is still cooling down, viscosity of liquids matter because it interferers with how fast the cotton is able to wick and cool down the coil, etc.    

Nickel resistance values change a lot with heat and that's the first TC coils used. Then came titanium. It's unknown if they are safe to use and a lot of people don't want to run the risk (including me). Both Ni and Ti can theoretically produce toxic chemicals when heated up too high. That's why you have to use those coils exclusively in TC, you can't or should never use them in regular power mode! 

SS doesn't have this problem and can be vaped in power mode as well as TC. Resistance values change a lot less than the other two metals and that's why not every mod has a SS mode or is able to do it well. I know most Joyetech and newer Eleaf products do it well. My Wismecs (owned by Joyetech and using the same electronics) do it poorly. Firmware also matters a lot. 

So I wouldn't bother with TC, or I might go ahead and try that if your tanks are able to use SS coils. There's no mod out there that can do real TC on traditional Kanthal or Nichrome wires and I actually prefer SS even in power mode. It just vapes a bit "cleaner", taste feels "cleaner".           

Edited by Kutusov

thanks for that I kind of get what you are on about and think a TC unit is possibly not for me as it would be a wasted feature . one thing that I am getting fed up with no matter how much I clean my equipment after about a day or two I strat to get a burnt taste then it goes away and comes back . instead of having a look at a whole new setup I might just look at a differet tank instead as the battery I have (mini istick) seems to last a while and can be used plugged in on charge . I notice on here the words Aspire Nautilus have been used quite a lot so might have to try one of them .

• Like 1

When I had a mini istick (eleaf?) I found the best combo was with an eleaf gs air tank 1.5ohm coil. It just seemed to work for me. Some tanks seem to give more burnt taste which isnt good and puts you off..do you change your coils regularly. I tend to change once a month.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

thanks for that I kind of get what you are on about and think a TC unit is possibly not for me as it would be a wasted feature . one thing that I am getting fed up with no matter how much I clean my equipment after about a day or two I strat to get a burnt taste then it goes away and comes back . instead of having a look at a whole new setup I might just look at a differet tank instead as the battery I have (mini istick) seems to last a while and can be used plugged in on charge . I notice on here the words Aspire Nautilus have been used quite a lot so might have to try one of them .

The Nautilus is a classic and still very relevant! Coils will last you longer on that one as they use rayon as wicking material. Every vape shop carry those coils, so you're fine there! 

The problem you describe doesn't seem like something you can get rid of by cleaning anything. If it tastes burnt, it's something on the coil only, you are either burning the wicking material a bit or the wire is getting gunked up. It's cleaning out while you vape it. What causes that is another matter, can be a lot of different things. 

The GS air mentioned above is also a good option. I would suggest a Kanger Subtank or Toptank mini with the 1.2ohm coils. It's very different from what you are used to or the Nautilus but it's a problem free tank with coils that just won't die. I hardly use mine now but I bet it is stored with a coil I vaped for 2 months and it is still fine. They use Japanese organic cotton and big wicking holes, so you'll be hard pressed to burn those things. They should cost around the same as the Nautilus and it's just a tank from another generation.

'tis this thing (mouth piece is not stock)

20151224_162938_1.jpg

Just got back from town without a tank :angry: went to local ecig shop and the bloke that served me was high as a kite not interested in selling me anything and didnt have an opinion on anything he was selling. At one point he actually put his head on the counter as if to go to sleep.

Plan B now a bit of online searching instead.  Anybody recommend a good uk based online shop ?  

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 18:30, jsud2002 said:

any chance you could explain how temperature control works ? bear in mind I am stupid at this so keep it simple please :laugh:

one that I know they do stock is this http://www.innokin.com/vaporizers/cool-fire-iv/

That's what I have. Can't go wrong for the price. Adjustable volts and watts. Start off low and SLOWLY ramp it up, otherwise you'll burn out the coil, and your throat!

I've tried vaping on and off for a few years without much success just with the usual cheap pens. As I really need to give up the cigarettes with a baby on the way. So I decided to try out a better kit.

I went for an Aspire K4 kit after much googling (they are £40 in my local shop but Amazon Prime have them for under £24 now) and have just loaded it up and tried it out tonight. It is in a whole different league from I've ever tried before!

With the old pens I used to use a strong 25ml but I soon got confused by all these new PG & VG ratio's, sub-ohming, etc. On the recommendation of the local vape shop I'm using a high VG menthol/spearmint but they are quite expensive so I've ordered some Heisenberg high HVG from here: http://www.onepoundeliquid.com/10ml-high-vg-eliquid-heisenberg-hvg.html and some other mint ones (without the high VG I'm hoping that they'll work ok). At only £1 each they work out about a fifth the price of the local vape shops.

Can anyone tell me how long I can expect the coils to last and any links to a good affordable High VG Mint/Menthol E-Liquid?

It's very early days, but I'm hoping that this helps me to kick the habit at long last.

• Like 1

Hope it works for you Carl!! ...but the K4 uses a Cleito tank with some very low resistances and open wide air flow. You'll have to lung inhale that (not really any choice there) and you need 3 nic juices at most, I think that 6 nic option on the link is way too strong for a 0.27 Clapton coil (a Clapton coil has a lot more surface area and heats - and hits - hard). 

Dependes on how much you vape but if you are going the subohm (and .27 is very low), expect to plough through juice. It's hard to say really, but going 30ml a day wouldn't be surprising with a subohm tank. Mind you that lower nic juice is usually much cheaper because of applied taxes. I never made the maths but it will end up being a bit more expensive than staying above-ohm and mouth to lung. 

It's probably always cheaper than ciggies and undoubtedly healthier. I find it a lot nicer than cigarettes also, it's a much more relaxed thing once you find what you like and works for you!      

• Like 1

Thanks Renato, that's most useful. The juice I tried tonight is 6ml and I think it is a bit much to be honest ...so no more for a while and 3ml high VG for future orders. 30ml a day sounds loads, that used to last me well over a month with the pen styles. Although seeing the amount of vapour the thing chucks out I can well believe many people get through that amount.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dowsing said:

Thanks Renato, that's most useful. The juice I tried tonight is 6ml and I think it is a bit much to be honest ...so no more for a while and 3ml high VG for future orders. 30ml a day sounds loads, that used to last me well over a month with the pen styles. Although seeing the amount of vapour the thing chucks out I can well believe many people get through that amount.

I'm being conservative on that estimate. I know people that go through 50ml daily, easy! Mind you that those 0.2 coils, besides being very low, are Clapton coils. They drink the juices like crazy. I don't recall what people usually say it's the better coil for that tank but you have two other options: a regular Kanthal 0.4 and a SS 0.4.The regular 0.4 should go through a lot less juice and still fog out the place you are vaping at :laugh:     

There's a thing about low ohm vaping though, some people are able to completely stop using nicotine by vaping low. The way those big clouds hit, especially while still going with something around the 30% PG mark, is enough of a kick to mimic our carving satisfaction. I personally need my through hit, so that's why I keep relatively high ohms and 50 PG. As PG is a mild irritant, that slight scratch on my trough is enough for me to have dropped nic levels while keeping a bit higher level of PG (which also makes the juice more liquid and easier on comercial coil tanks).

As I've mentioned somewhere back, I vape around the 12 nic area but was trying a 0.5 SS round wire DL coil the other day. Vaping that at 30W with 3 nic was way harder than my usual 1ohm, 17.5w/18W with those 12 nic. I could only take a couple of drags every 30 minutes or go nic sick. Nicotine is addictive but it's not the only thing that makes smoking addictive. Coming straight out of cigarettes, one usually needs a higher nic content to compensate the other crap we aren't getting from smoking cigarettes anymore. After we flash that stuff out of our system, we usually drop the nic level and there's plenty of adjustments that can still be made after that. It's a good and a bad thing: means it's very confusing with lots of correlating parameters when we get in but it also means lots of room to adjust the experience to fit you just right and to keep on adjusting. Meaning that if the K4 turns out not to be quite your thing, let us know why, there's tons of cheap alternatives out there! I'm still looking myself, even being happy with my current setup.

BTW, your next step would be to get yourself a regulated mod. Makes a huge difference from those battery sticks :thumbsup:           

How many packs a day were those guys smoking!?? My only other thought is that the vaporizers in question must be really inefficient at delivering nicotine, else the liquid used contains next to none. 50ml a day is just nuts imo.