• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Raptor

Smoking To Vaping?

On 04/07/2014 at 11:53, Raptor said:

I am a smoker and I am looking at cutting down to

stopping completely via the e-cig route.

Has anyone here done it? I have just bought a cheap

disposable e-cig from the bay of e which has no nicotine

just flavoured(black honey) to see what vaping is like.

Any recommendations for a low cost entry level vaping kit?

You don't want to buy any cheap liquid, that's a no no. There are all sorts of other chemicals added. I don't smoke but alot of people in my family do and they swear by 

https://www.vipelectroniccigarette.co.uk/stockists#

It's better to buy from a proper reliable company rather than from a random shop. I know you can get them from pound land, ebay, etc. But I wouldn't trust them.

You could go for the one which uses cartridge, but I don't think there strong enough. 

Never mind, I'm a couple years late.. :shothead:

Edited by damo08
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mtysox said:

Have a look for the Smok Guardian 3 epipe.  It may be what you're looking for and seems to have positive reviews too. 

It's a good mod although I think the menu system sucks (but that's just my dislike for gimmicky menu systems, if it was up to me you would have a potentiometer and a fire button only :partytime:). Problem is the tank included, it's a DL subohm with pretty low resistance coils. Of course you can use any other tank with a 510 connection but if you can get the mod only you would be saving money (I don't think you can). Oh, and you'll also need a proper pipe stem because the Guardian comes with sort of a driper chuff cap.  

That being said, the faux wood Guardian Sub Kit with an internal battery looks very nice. 

Loaded up my Joytech mega one tonight for the first time and I think it is great , mouthpiece is slightly bigger than I am used to but its ok

CAA92DB0-179F-430D-81D6-A37B57A15F4B_zps 

14 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

Loaded up my Joytech mega one tonight for the first time and I think it is great , mouthpiece is slightly bigger than I am used to but its ok

CAA92DB0-179F-430D-81D6-A37B57A15F4B_zps 

It's not an easy mouthpiece to replace, most general 510 mouthpieces will be wider and will fit a bit lose in there. You can try to get the Tron mouthpieces or maybe the AIO/Cubis, both from Joyetech. The AIO ones are very short though, the ones from the Tron are just right. (I actually need to get me a 5 pack of those, I know I've seen those selling somewhere, maybe Heavengifts). 

What do you think of those window slits? A lot of people complain they can't see **** through them but I find them very close to perfect. Having 3 rows of 3 slits makes it easy for me to see the liquid level and makes the tank extremely well protected against drops.   

The slits seem fine to me but I was slightly dissapointed as I thought it was going to be a toploader but no I have to unscrew from the base to fill it up 

I get that with glass tanks but these are easier to fill than a lot of top fillers. Just hold the mod and tank upside down, unscrew the tank, leave the base on the mod and place everything on a table, screw the same way. You can't see me now but I'm using a band aid from a cut on a finger from trying to unscrew the damn top cap of a top filling tank. It had stuck in and there's not much surface or grip on that thing.Besides, you can easily flood a coil with a top filler without liquid flow control and such a thing only adds bulk and more things to remember and handle. 

Best fill systems are the sliding ports on the Eleaf tanks (Melo 2 and 3, Lyche) and the OBS Crius. Simple, clean, and no air pressure when closing the tanks. 

Speaking of which... that main problem with that Mega V1 is the base without any knurling. There's hell to pay when that thing gets stuck on the mod. Best way to take it out when everything fails is just stick a driver from side to side on the airflow intakes and use it as a lever.    

On 05/08/2016 at 17:51, Kutusov said:

Crack pipe maybe? :partytime:

Decided to try one of these and so far, quite pleased.

Electric E-Pipe A Accessories,Gift Box and Free Delivery UK STOCK No Nicotine

This just arrived: Joyetech Ego One Mega V2.

20160811_152939.jpg

Sooooo nice that if nothing goes terribly wrong in the next few weeks, I'll just try to order two more as spares and I'll just use this (very hard to get one, Joyetech seems to have given up on this about release time). Nice as the first, airflow intake with a cup design to catch condensation and a bit of leakage like the Tron, has that indentation on said cup to compensate for choked air if condensation builds there. Chimney is slightly narrower and makes for a more defined vape and more air speed which improves the flavour.  

Any of you folks that mix there own got any ideas about nic when it runs out early next year. I've got about 2 litres in but that's it, I've also put away a couple of spare 4/5ml tanks as were going to be restricted to 2 ml which means carrying top ups about.

Kev

Don't worry Kev, nic will still be legal and you'll still be able to buy it. What TPD2 sets in place is that you can't sell it, mix in liquid or otherwise, in bottles over 10ml. So what some liquid manufactures already did is going with nic shots of 20mg which is the limit. It's a low concentration, so safe to handle. Vaping King for example will sell their liquids in kit format with a 0 nic bottle and the nic on the side to drop in and mix. http://www.vapingking.co.uk/mix.html

As to the 2ml tanks, don't worry either. It pretty much affects B&M only, if that. You can still buy online and tanks keep coming out. For example, what China has been doing is 2ml tanks with kit extensions to make them 4ml (UD Goblin V3, Aspire Nautilus X, etc). An extension kit is a little metal tube and a glass or SS sleeve, they would have to ban, police and enforce the ban on little steel or glass tubes.  

I think things will actually get better as the liquid industry will get more DIY friendly, safer and customizable. You want stronger nic add nic shots, you want it sweeter add sweetner, etc.   

Edited by Kutusov

The tanks don't bother me to much just got them as a just in case, I have anasty habit of breaking the glass. I've been told that the supply of coils will be ok anyhow. Picked a couple of Artic turbos and Eeelgator GTS for now. don't mind 2 mil when I'm driving less weighty on a Vision spinner. Just the nic that's a concern, I buy it in 100ml bottle premix with PG and it comes in around 72 Mg/Ml which would be illegal and I really don't want to buy from China for obvious reasons. just have to see how it goes I guess

If you have 2L of 72mg in PG, it should last you forever! Order a couple more from Darkstar if you must and store them in a fridge, I hear nic in PG stored in dark and cold should be good for around 10 years.

So what will happen in the UK starting in January (I think) is that you can't sell liquid containing nicotine in bottles with more than 10ml and max nicotine level allowed is 20mg. This includes nicotine bases but I'm pretty sure companies like Darkstar will just sell their stuff in packs of 10ml bottles. The level will be lower but so will the price, you just have to mix with different proportions. I'm on a couple of UK vapers FB groups and no one is concerned with things.  Edit:  See? I'm right! :tongue: http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/shop/nicotine-shots

We've been full TPD2 complaint for a long time now here in Portugal and I still can get pretty much everything through the internet, including premixed nic base from a Barcelona laboratory. All EU online shops stopped shipping to Portugal for a while but seems like it had to do with them not being sure on how the law worked, everything is fine now. 

I order everything liquid related from inside the EU, some hardware from China (vaping mostly on Kayfuns these days and those come from Germany). Our customs still are about 100% efficient when it comes to checking stuff out and no hardware has been stopped, just the things over €40 that are subjected to tax and duties. I just got a couple of Merlin tanks a couple of weeks ago to see what the fuss was about and those are 4ml, say so right in the package and went right through.    

Edited by Kutusov

All stored in the fridge in the garage I'm hoping it'll last through till we leave the EU and the law can be repealed, if not I'll just have to use the 10ml bottles. didn't realise the Portuguese customs were so tough makes the UK revenue look a bit lax. Do you have the same problem with watches from Singapore marked as measuring instruments?

UK customs are way more relaxed! I've always had problems with watches coming from outside the EU, they pretty much all stop at customs. I had a just released Citizen Excalibur stuck there for 3 months waiting for a Citizen rep to come and check if it was an authentic or a fake because they couldn't find a RRP, that's how bad it is... I even considered and talked with some forum members about re-routing more expensive ones through the UK. They used to sample check things coming in but when the country went under they made our tax system a lot more robust.  

As to the repeal of the TPD after Brexit, it will take years if they ever get down to it, or at least that's the opinion of UK vape advocacy groups. There will be far more important and urgent things to deal with before vaping devices. Just be happy we didn't go full blown insane like in some US states like California or the whole country for that matter. We got it easy so far but WHO did have a meeting in India where supposedly they advised/told/asked for a total ban of vapour products.

On 4.12.2016 at 19:53, Kutusov said:

vaping mostly on Kayfuns these days

I've been looking at these for a while and they look like top quality kit. Only thing preventing me getting one is that I've only used ready-made coils so far (e.g. in the Nautilus). I'd appreciate your opinion on a couple of questions.

How often does one need to rebuild? How long does it take?

Do I need tools, parts, etc.? How do you get the right resistance for your coils?

Is a Kayfun suitable for everyday use, carried around in the pocket, or is it more a device for at home?

Think I'm ready for the step up to rebuildables, but on the other hand, I don't really need another time-consuming hobby.

Cheers,
-wotsch

3 hours ago, wotsch said:

I've been looking at these for a while and they look like top quality kit. Only thing preventing me getting one is that I've only used ready-made coils so far (e.g. in the Nautilus). I'd appreciate your opinion on a couple of questions.

How often does one need to rebuild? How long does it take?

Do I need tools, parts, etc.? How do you get the right resistance for your coils?

Is a Kayfun suitable for everyday use, carried around in the pocket, or is it more a device for at home?

Think I'm ready for the step up to rebuildables, but on the other hand, I don't really need another time-consuming hobby.

Cheers,
-wotsch

Hi there!

Couple of things first: they are way better than any comercial coil tanks. I did resist using rebuildable tanks for a long time because I never got good results with the ones I had but they are much easier now - or I got better with training and understanding what I'm doing. 

To your questions... there's two components to building a tank like this: coiling it and wicking it. A coil lasts months, you just take the wick out, pulse it to burn the liquid residue, rinse it or blow on it and it's done. Wicking depends on the sort of wattage you are using, the type of cotton and if you bother with it or not. I usually go through 100ml of liquid (the size of bottles I use) and then change flavour, so it's then that I change the cotton. Not that I would need to but it's easy enough. I use Muji Japanese organic cotton which is easy to work with, breaks in fast and is very cheap. A lot of more experienced people which tend to use denser liquids and higher wattages use an American cotton called Cotton Bacon. That is supposed to last even longer.

Takes me somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes to set one up completely, coiling being what takes me more time. I can rewick it in 3 minutes or so and I'm still a bit of a newbie at this. And I might rewick them once or twice a month depending on if I change flavours.    

You do need tools but nowadays you can pretty much get everything you need in a kit, I suggest this one:   http://www.coil-master.net/product/coil-master-diy-kit-v3 You'll also need cotton and wire. Wire depends on what you want and that's one of the great things about RTAs, you can set them how you like. I aim at 1 to 1.2 ohms with micro-coils of 2.5mm to 3mm on the V5, or 2mm on the Mini V3(*). I don't do temperature control so that means I tend to use only 28AWG Kanthal wire. 

It will seem complicated at first and it's better to have it as something that stays at home until you feel confident about it. After that it's even better than a clearomizer to take outside the house. You can close the liquid feeding a bit or completely if you get into a plane, if you are going to refill it to prevent flooding, if it gets really hot or you driving up a mountain and pressures change, etc. All my premade coil tanks are now on their stands and I don't use them at all. 0 leaks, 0 problems.         

(*)I'm talking here about the Kayfun Mini V3 and the V5, the older ones are not as reliable or easy to use. My favourite of the two, and the one closer to a tighter draw is the Mini V3, the V5 is better with a loser draw. The problem with the Mini V3 is that it only holds 2ml but it's extremely easy to refill. Alternatively you can get the bulge SS tank that takes it to 4.2ml capacity but you can't see inside. It's what I use but takes some getting use to. I just fill it before going to work and I know it will last me all day, so I refill it when I get home. If, for some reason, you forget to refill it, because it has a lot more cotton than a tinny comercial coil, you can feel it going dry and stop before you burn the wick.

They are both very tall tanks so I use them on Eleaf Pico mods which are tinny but use a single 18650 and have all the functions of a regular mod:

20161129_152318.jpg   

I'm also waiting for the SS bulge tank for the V5 (should have arrived today) which makes it better looking IMO and makes it a 6ml tank, so ideal for a long day. And to take it on a night out and eventually drop it and stuff :tongue:

On 6.12.2016 at 00:25, Kutusov said:

To your questions...

Thanks for the great response! That doesn't sound to tricky at all. I've taken the plunge and ordered a v5 along with some wire and cotton from the svoemesto shop and a meter for testing resistance. Should be with me in a couple of days. I'm assuming my tool box has everything I need in it already. The price of the thing made me think a bit but it looks like a finely-engineered piece of work and I'm not averse to paying for quality. The Pico mods look like a good idea, my Pegasus is rather large so I guess Pegasus + v5 will be rather long.Next time I order liquids, I'll probably get one of those to go with it.

I'll let you know how I get on with the v5.

Cheers!

You'll love it, doesn't get much better than a Kayfun! If the top cap doesn't thread smoothly when you get it, don't feel disappointed, it's not the machining but a semi-hidden o-ring in there that needs to settle in.

The V5 will feel a lot airier than something like the Nautilus (but I think you own a Cleito? It's much tighter than that.). If you feel it's too open you can have my MTL kit, doesn't work for me. And feel free to ask any questions, I don't know a lot but I'll be glad to help if I can.    

Speaking of quality, trying to resist spending money on one of these for xmas... you get out of a hobby just to stumble into another one :laugh:

Edited by Kutusov

Well, it arrived and I'm, blown away. I've been pretty happy with the Nautilus, but the flavour on this is even better.

It took me three goes to get the build right. The coils were OK but first two times I think I used much too much cotton for the wick and ended up with burnt taste. After some googling I found a hint that too much cotton or too tightly packet cotton stops the wick working so on my third go I used the cotton sparingly and now it's working beautifully.

A couple of phone pics:

30691765554_68155bb836_z.jpg
Kayfun V5 by wotsch2, on Flickr

31385950312_a5242554a9_z.jpg

31417232591_55f7622410_z.jpg

Expensive, but so far seems to be worth it.

Cheers!

On 8.12.2016 at 00:32, Kutusov said:

If you feel it's too open you can have my MTL kit, doesn't work for me.

On the one-dot and two-dot settings, it's about right for me, but thanks for the offer!

After reading latest comments You guys have me searching online for a new kit ... tank and battery now  . I fancy an all in one like the Aspire Plato I have read good reviews but am open to any other suggestions . Purely as a cigarette replacement not for that big cloud stuff :)

18 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

I fancy an all in one like the Aspire Plato I have read good reviews but am open to any other suggestions

I have one and it's perfect for carrying around all day in my pocket. I use it with the nautilus coils, not the more expensive sub-ohm ones. But it's nice to know it could be used as a cloud machine if I ever felt the need for that.

There are a few similar products that have come out since then. The Joyetech eVic AIO is very similar. I haven't tried it to be able to compare it to the Plato, but a colleague loves his.

Also, the Smoant Knight V1 is a way to turn a normal tank into a kind of all-in-one. Looks interesting, although I know almost nothing about it except it seems to be rather heavy.

Cheers!

Edited by wotsch