• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Raptor

Smoking To Vaping?

30 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

After reading latest comments You guys have me searching online for a new kit ... tank and battery now  . I fancy an all in one like the Aspire Plato I have read good reviews but am open to any other suggestions . Purely as a cigarette replacement not for that big cloud stuff :)

What he said but I would add the Innokin Endura T18 (or T22, same thing but bigger liquid and battery capacity, different form factor)  

54 minutes ago, wotsch said:

Well, it arrived and I'm, blown away. I've been pretty happy with the Nautilus, but the flavour on this is even better.

It took me three goes to get the build right. The coils were OK but first two times I think I used much too much cotton for the wick and ended up with burnt taste. After some googling I found a hint that too much cotton or too tightly packet cotton stops the wick working so on my third go I used the cotton sparingly and now it's working beautifully.

Expensive, but so far seems to be worth it.

Cheers!

On the one-dot and two-dot settings, it's about right for me, but thanks for the offer!

Congrats, welcome to the Kayfun club! :tongue: Flavour is great with this one but it needs air, not everyone agrees with me but the MTL kit didn't work for me because somehow it choked the whole thing. It's the shape of the deck's bell, the airier, the better. I use it on the third position with the three pips but I'm also using a smaller bore drip tip.  

It's quality stuff, it will last you for as long as you use it and there's no coils to buy! There's nothing miles away better, so not much of a need to buy something else to upgrade, so I think you end up saving a bit and the cost is significantly minimized. Of course you'll then start to spend your money on mods, accessories, tools and even other tanks that won't offer something very different from this one. We know how it goes by now, don't we? :whistle: 

I see you've got the black long tips, I always forget to order those... :bash:  

You want to cut the cotton just so the ends touch the bottom of the deck, where the liquid comes out. It depends on how thick a liquid you vape, I use 60 to 50 PG so I actually need more cotton than usual, on my first couple of tries I kept flooding. A good visual reference is the edge of the base (the airflow thingy), if you get the cotton straight and cut it by that length you are usually fine on most Kayfun style decks. I think this V5 wicks so well that cotton quantity is not so much of an issue with dry hits, more than that you need to be gentle when pushing the cotton in. If you pack it too tight, you block the liquid ports and the cotton itself won't be able to absorb the liquid all the way to the coil.

58 minutes ago, wotsch said:

I have one and it's perfect for carrying around all day in my pocket. I use it with the nautilus coils, not the more expensive sub-ohm ones. But it's nice to know it could be used as a cloud machine if I ever felt the need for that.

There are a few similar products that have come out since then. The Joyetech eVic AIO is very similar. I haven't tried it to be able to compare it to the Plato, but a colleague loves his.

Also, the Smoant Knight V1 is a way to turn a normal tank into a kind of all-in-one. Looks interesting, although I know almost nothing about it except it seems to be rather heavy.

Cheers!

Just had a look at the Joyetech Evic AIO yes I like it but I think Joyetech may have stopped selling them I need to look at other sites 

35 minutes ago, Kutusov said:

What he said but I would add the Innokin Endura T18 (or T22, same thing but bigger liquid and battery capacity, different form factor)  

Just had a look at the Innokin wow it is certainly cheap in price and I like the idea of the 4ml tank on the T22 rathr than the smaller 2.5 on the T18 so definately a maybe although I just really like the look and design of the box all in one on the Aspire Plato BUT and its a big but it is more expensive and at this time of the year money is how shall I say a little tight so the innokin may just win .. or I could wait to see if the're any sales on in January 

21 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

Just had a look at the Joyetech Evic AIO yes I like it but I think Joyetech may have stopped selling them I need to look at other sites 

Just had a look at the Innokin wow it is certainly cheap in price and I like the idea of the 4ml tank on the T22 rathr than the smaller 2.5 on the T18 so definately a maybe although I just really like the look and design of the box all in one on the Aspire Plato BUT and its a big but it is more expensive and at this time of the year money is how shall I say a little tight so the innokin may just win .. or I could wait to see if the're any sales on in January 

There are sales right now, I think. A lot of people say great things about the AIO but I have several Cubis tanks that use the same coils and they are a nightmare. Maybe I got some bad bacth of coils and I get a good coil out of 3 or 4. Like I said, it might be just me, the AIO is a very popular recomendation.

Think about where you get the coils from, if you buy from the internet, you can pretty much go with any system but if you buy them in your local B&M they won't carry most of them. Check out the Kanger Togo Mini, I don't know if it's good or not, I'm not even sure if it's out yet. Kanger has been pretty bad lately but it's their second or third attempt at an all in one and coils should be easy to get. It's sort of an AIO box but with much better looks.     

Currently using prebuild coil and japanese wool kit from joyetech to build my own coils which is ok a coil normally lasts me 2-3 weeks . Problem with the Kanger togo is the tank is just too small . Previously with 2ml tanks I just feel forever topping it up. 

Birthday on Sunday so lets see if I get any birthday money if so I may treat myself to the plato and buy prebuilt nautilus coils think about £12 for 5 so not too bad cost wise 

25 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

Currently using prebuild coil and japanese wool kit from joyetech to build my own coils which is ok a coil normally lasts me 2-3 weeks . Problem with the Kanger togo is the tank is just too small . Previously with 2ml tanks I just feel forever topping it up. 

Birthday on Sunday so lets see if I get any birthday money if so I may treat myself to the plato and buy prebuilt nautilus coils think about £12 for 5 so not too bad cost wise 

The Togo Mini is 3.8ml, at least on their site... maybe there's an international version and a TPD complaint version? That reminds me, another tank you might enjoy is the Nautilus X, it's a 2ml to be sold in Europe but has an extention kit to bring it to 4ml. Top fill and top airflow so pretty hard/impossible to leak. I hear it's the best top airflow tank around and has high resistance coils so it's not a clouds bro clouds tank.

What Joytech coils are you using? CLRs? Because if you are I would forget about getting a new tank. Ego One Mega/Tron/Mega V2 are IMO the best MTL tanks/coils out there, plus trouble free with bottom filling. No need for juice control, no need to worry about flooding and leaking if you build too much pressure... And those coils are basically a miniature Kayfun/Taifun system, horizontal coils for flavour and it can get better if you use good cotton. Those are my backup tanks if I go away from home for a while as I'm not flying with building tools for my RTAs. I think they are still the best around, better than Kanger's Subtank or Nautilus or Innokin T18/22.      

Edited by Kutusov

This is my setup it is a Joyetech Ego one Mega tank with a Istik Mini battery ... 

CAA92DB0-179F-430D-81D6-A37B57A15F4B_zps

here are the coil kits I use and yes they are for the CLR https://www.joyetech.co.uk/clr-pre-made-coils-with-cotton.html

You are correct about the Innokin T22 bing 4ml sorry I had about three or four pages open on my computer and must have read the wrong one ..oops my mistake . 

So basically you are saying the Ego one Mega with CLR coils is a pretty damn good set .. if so cheers I wont bother changing .. might just get a new battery instead . Thanks you have saved me a headache of searches :thumbsup:

Yes, keep that tank! Or get a Tron or Mega V2, they are the same thing but have hidden airflow controls that also act as condensation cups so it's very hard to have any sort of leaking (I have a couple the ones you have and sometimes I would have a bit of leaking from the air ports). I think Gearbest have them now for something like 10 US bucks shipped.  

• Like 1

Right well I'm going to give vaping another go! - The E-Lites Curve didn't work for me, the cartridges ran out too quickly and you have no way of knowing what level they are at. So instead I have bought a Council of Vapour Mini volt battery and a Aspire Nautilus Mini tank. The vape seems ok and at least this one is variable, I have it on quite a low output/ wattage. Hopefully it wont break or leak, fingers crossed!

I'm using a 1.2% Nicotine strength liquid which seems enough (just Virginia tobacco flavour as that's what I'm used to)

Although I have heard murmurings that they aren't sure vaping is that safe now, however I think this is coming from America and are the tobacco companies behind this? The NHS are still saying it is much safer than smoking, got to be surely?

Not vaping is safer than vaping but they haven't found a single thing wrong with it. There are badly done studies and there are studies that pick up toxic elements. The thing with toxicity is that is concentration related and the things found in vapour have a smaller concentration than what can be found in the air of a big city.

It's a very convoluted process  in the US and it has more to do with "save the kids" than anything else. The FDA wants to control vaping before having any evidence of harm but there's a big chance the Trump administration will stop that as they are more pro-small businesses and less nanny state. It's not Big Tobacco behind these movements, they would be happy to get into the vaping business as their margins would be like nothing they've seen for decades, it's Big Pharma that is losing and stands to lose the most.

I'll put it this way... vaping has been around for 7 or 8 or more years. There's millions of people that were able to quit smoking by making the switch all over the world. There's not a single case that I'm aware of of anyone getting sick or dying from vaping. RCP and other groups studies all point to 95 to 98% safer than smoking and that's leaving a margin for stuff we can't yet tell, so theoretically there's still a risk. Very minimal and certainly immensely less than smoking combustible tabacco. It's the burning part that makes cigarettes that bad, nicotine is like caffeine, it's not the stuff that might give you cancer.        

Edited by Kutusov
  • Like 1

Well here's my new set up, got to say so far I think it's brilliant, I get just enough vapour (set how I like it as it's adjustable) with a nice throat/ lung hit. I can see this one might really help me stop the normal cigs! It's got a few extras that make it better than any I've tried before - variable voltage/ wattage, variable air flow and a battery indicator. All in all the whole set up cost me £42 - £16 for the Nautilus tank (with two coils included) - £24 for the mini volt battery and £10 for three liquids!

I do find I prefer vaping to smoking as I never liked the after taste of Tabaco, the ashy clogged up taste/ feeling it leaves in your mouth, throat and chest, at least vaping tastes 'fresher' (if that makes sense?) while still delivering nicotine. As I say I really hope this works this time as I really want to quit (and I feel happy now that the NHS is 'backing' vaping and that by all accounts it seems to be much safer)

After all that here's my newest and first proper set up -

31568821615_a04b5424fe_c.jpg

Well here's my new set up, got to say so far I think it's brilliant, I get just enough vapour (set how I like it as it's adjustable) with a nice throat/ lung hit. I can see this one might really help me stop the normal cigs! It's got a few extras that make it better than any I've tried before - variable voltage/ wattage, variable air flow and a battery indicator. All in all the whole set up cost me £42 - £16 for the Nautilus tank (with two coils included) - £24 for the mini volt battery and £10 for three liquids!

I do find I prefer vaping to smoking as I never liked the after taste of Tabaco, the ashy clogged up taste/ feeling it leaves in your mouth, throat and chest, at least vaping tastes 'fresher' (if that makes sense?) while still delivering nicotine. As I say I really hope this works this time as I really want to quit (and I feel happy now that the NHS is 'backing' vaping and that by all accounts it seems to be much safer)

After all that here's my newest and first proper set up -

31568821615_a04b5424fe_c.jpg

Also I have a question for all you experienced vapours - I can change the wattage on my new set up, by lowering the wattage will I use less liquid?

Edited by graham1981

Yes, but less power means less vapour, so it's a matter of finding the level you enjoy. If you go too low, the coils won't be hot enough. If you go too high, the coils will burn as there won't be enough liquid for the heat produced. If you have the 1.6ohm nautilus coils, the range would be around 7-15W. My personal sweet spot with those is 12W.

35 minutes ago, wotsch said:

Yes, but less power means less vapour, so it's a matter of finding the level you enjoy. If you go too low, the coils won't be hot enough. If you go too high, the coils will burn as there won't be enough liquid for the heat produced. If you have the 1.6ohm nautilus coils, the range would be around 7-15W. My personal sweet spot with those is 12W.

Thanks for clarifying that @wotsch, I know the girl in the shop said don't go above 15W as the coil can't take it. I'm finding having it set to 8.3W seems about right for me, I was never a heavy smoker and used to roll quite thin roll ups which never produced mouthfuls of smoke so perhaps this is why I'm finding a lower wattage suits me? The fun is in finding the best combo I guess!

I guess by going lower you don't run the risk of ruining coils or anything? Unless you let it run out of liquid! You can tell I'm a noob to box mods :rolleyes: haha Now I've just got to see how long a bottle of liquid lasts me, though I did buy three so no danger of running out unexpectedly! (I hope)

1 hour ago, graham1981 said:

I guess by going lower you don't run the risk of ruining coils or anything?

No, they wouldn't be damaged by too little power, but you may find you get gurgling if there's not enough power to vapourise the liquid you're drawing through. You'd notice the gurgling noise and possibly end up with liquid in your mouth.

26 minutes ago, wotsch said:

No, they wouldn't be damaged by too little power, but you may find you get gurgling if there's not enough power to vapourise the liquid you're drawing through. You'd notice the gurgling noise and possibly end up with liquid in your mouth.

Ahh I have heard a bit of gurgling, so that's what it is! Haven't gotten any in the mouth though, perhaps I will put it up a bit. Thanks for the info @wotsch:thumbsup: 

The Nautilus Mini is probably the tank that took more people out of cigarettes than any other one. It's an ancient one now by vaping products standards but it's still a solid recommendation for where to start, it didn't get much better at that style of vaping. Many people stay with it and the so called "more advanced" gear doesn't work for them. To me a Nautilus is not enough but that's because I already have a hard time getting liquids with 12mg of nicotine, let alone 18mg and 18 would be the concentration I would need with a Nautilus. But that being said, I really don't like the high power, direct inhale "advanced" stuff that flooded the market. It's all a matter of using what works and figuring out why something stops to work as well as it did, if that ever happens. I never touched a cigarette again since my first setup and I can't even vape tobaccos anymore, I just find them disgusting! It's all mainly fruits (not the candy-like ones) and menthols and things with koolada for me.               

After some great advice from Wotsch and Kutusov I have just bought myself an Aspire Plato all in one kit should be here in a few days so looking forward trying it out 

AP-PLAT10-5.jpg?1459413138

^^^It's a lovely bit of kit! 

BTW, and as health risks have been raised in the US (not really, it's a dumb argument), I'll leave here a link for an analysis of Dr. Farsalinos. He's a Greek cardiologist that has researched and looked at research being made for a long time and his webpage is probably the best source for fact checking:

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/whats-new/whatsnew-2016/250-sg

If you don't have the time to read, basically the Surgeon General came out with the classification of ecigs as a public health risk because there was a 900% increase of kids vaping in the US in the last 5 years. My immediate take on it was that a) yeah, ecigs have been around for a little bit over 5 years so you are counting from 0, b)we know that for the past 5 years there was the biggest smoker reduction ever a lot has to do with ecigs, so how many of those kids are vaping instead of smoking and are they even vaping nicotine? Probably not because 0 nic is a lot cheaper c) What are the risks since I've lost count of how many times the myth that vaping leads to smoking has been debunked? d) Why is the US gov messing with ecigs if kids vape and if vaping is already illegal for under 18s? It's surely an issue to take up with their parents, not forgetting that kids will smoke and drink and try stuff no matter what you do.         

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 22:11, jsud2002 said:

Just seen it's your birthday @jsud2002 hope you've had a good one (and got some money to go towards the plato) :happybday: Edit: Just seen you got the Plato :thumbsup: 

Edited by graham1981
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, graham1981 said:

Just seen it's your birthday @jsud2002 hope you've had a good one (and got some money to go towards the plato) :happybday: Edit: Just seen you got the Plato :thumbsup: 

Fantastic deal on the plato .. plato and nautilus coils all in inc postage was £45 with a handy discount code . Cheers for the birthday greeting it has been a great day 

I thought some of you might find this interesting:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456704/McNeill-Hajek_report_authors_note_on_evidence_for_95_estimate.pdf

It's a brief summary from Public Health England on what they found when they tested e-cigarettes in August 2015, interesting reading :yes:

The full report, also interesting reading, is here (all 113 pages of it!):

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/457102/Ecigarettes_an_evidence_update_A_report_commissioned_by_Public_Health_England_FINAL.pdf

Just went to edit my post and was just out of time :angry: , I was just going to add an update on my new setup, I've been using the Nautilus tank and mini volt battery for two days now (I bought it late Saturday afternoon) and so far haven't touched a cigarette, I've even had the courage to leave the tobacco at home. Having the battery indicator on it means I know how much power I have left and I know a full battery will last me all day (probably nearer a day and a half or even two) I love the taste of the e-liquid through this set up (the other e-cig I tried a while ago seemed to taint the taste of the e-juice) And so far there hasn't been any leakages or anything. My breathing seems to have got slightly worse but that could be because of several reasons- I was ill last week with tonsillitis, also according to NHS your breathing can become temporarily worse when you quit cigarettes and also apparently it can be down to the fact that you start to try and breathe deeper when you stop smoking and your lungs may not be capable until they start to clear themselves out (apparently as a smoker you learn to breathe in a very shallow manor as your lungs capacity decreases)

All in all seems to be going well so far (I will just keep an eye on my breathing) :thumbsup: 

51 minutes ago, graham1981 said:

I thought some of you might find this interesting:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456704/McNeill-Hajek_report_authors_note_on_evidence_for_95_estimate.pdf

It's a brief summary from Public Health England on what they found when they tested e-cigarettes in August 2015, interesting reading :yes:

The full report, also interesting reading, is here (all 113 pages of it!):

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/457102/Ecigarettes_an_evidence_update_A_report_commissioned_by_Public_Health_England_FINAL.pdf

Thanks! I am aware of that and that we still don't know everything. Dr. Farsalinos is looking at something interesting and that's materials: what happens to kanthal, SS, nichrome etc at what power. You know have gear meant to vaped close to 200W, so what happens when you are inhaling massive amounts of VG/PG/flavouring compared to when you vape below 20W or 40W? It's stuff that makes sense to people that vape but researchers have no clue. They look at setups as something simple like a cigarette but there are huge differences. Keep the research going and keep the nanny state away and I'm fine.    

• Like 1