• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Raptor

Smoking To Vaping?

40 minutes ago, graham1981 said:

Just went to edit my post and was just out of time :angry: , I was just going to add an update on my new setup, I've been using the Nautilus tank and mini volt battery for two days now (I bought it late Saturday afternoon) and so far haven't touched a cigarette, I've even had the courage to leave the tobacco at home. Having the battery indicator on it means I know how much power I have left and I know a full battery will last me all day (probably nearer a day and a half or even two) I love the taste of the e-liquid through this set up (the other e-cig I tried a while ago seemed to taint the taste of the e-juice) And so far there hasn't been any leakages or anything. My breathing seems to have got slightly worse but that could be because of several reasons- I was ill last week with tonsillitis, also according to NHS your breathing can become temporarily worse when you quit cigarettes and also apparently it can be down to the fact that you start to try and breathe deeper when you stop smoking and your lungs may not be capable until they start to clear themselves out (apparently as a smoker you learn to breathe in a very shallow manor as your lungs capacity decreases)

All in all seems to be going well so far (I will just keep an eye on my breathing) :thumbsup: 

Don't worry about your breathing, you might be feeling changes but they are all for the better. The weirdest part is when you start to get your smell back, funny enough is tobacco you start to pick up first. I was shocked when I could smell a cigarette being lit and finding out it was some bloke across the road! A good motivator is that you start to smell yourself, your clothes, car, office and how bad it all reeks.

Be aware of vapour's tongue, happens to a lot of people. You can't taste anything juice for a while, and it's some sort of weird taste buds reset. I had that probably a year after me starting vaping which is very late and I though something most have gone wrong with my liquids. Lasted me a solid month and it was a great opportunity to vape all the nasty tasting liquids I had put to the side :tongue:    

Vaping dehydrates you a bit so headaches and stuff could be that, drink a little bit more fluids. The body will also be cleaning itself and is using more fluids for that. 

We're all different but I had to take a chest Xray about a year after quitting and my lungs are virtually clear, the doctor couldn't tell I had been a very heavy smoker for many years without looking hard. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kutusov
  • Like 1

Ok everyone sorry for all the dumb questions but I have another one, this time about charging the Minivolt, usually after a days vaping I have about just under half a battery left (which means it would run out the next day) so I end up charging the Minivolt most nights, as it uses a Lithium Ion battery (I believe) is this safe to do so? Are they ok to charge everyday? I don't leave it on charge as soon as it says fully charged I disconnect it. Any info/ thoughts greatly appreciated :yes: And sorry for being such a dumbass :biggrin: 

1 hour ago, graham1981 said:

Ok everyone sorry for all the dumb questions but I have another one, this time about charging the Minivolt, usually after a days vaping I have about just under half a battery left (which means it would run out the next day) so I end up charging the Minivolt most nights, as it uses a Lithium Ion battery (I believe) is this safe to do so? Are they ok to charge everyday? I don't leave it on charge as soon as it says fully charged I disconnect it. Any info/ thoughts greatly appreciated :yes: And sorry for being such a dumbass :biggrin: 

Don't worry about dumb questions, they are just dumb after you forget there was a time you didn't know the answer.

I don't own a Minivolt but I'll assume the board works as any other board. Safety rules say you shouldn't leave anything with a battery in it charging overnight (from a mod to a cellphone). That being said, the mod should have an over-voltage protection, meaning it won't overcharge and vent. The main problem I see with leaving any battery charging overnight is that it might reduce its life cycle a bit. The charging process will stop once it's full but then it will tricklecharge every time the voltage drops. Same applies to charging it everyday, a battery will do a certain amount of cycles before not being able to store much energy. With an internal battery mod that means binning the whole thing but it should take you a year or so. Not much of an alternative there, if you don't charge it, you won't vape it.

You might be thinking that maybe you could squeeze two days out of it and reduce the charging cycle by half. The thing is, despite you having half a battery, battery sag or battery resistance means the last percentage of a battery won't be giving you the power you need. Also from a battery health POV, you should charge it when it reaches 10% to 20% capacity. The mod should shut off once you reach 3.4 volts but if they drop too low they might not be able to be charged again.     

BTW, I very much doubt the Minivolt uses a LiPo pack inside. It's probably a soldered 18350 judging from size, capacity and price. That means it probably has a less volatile chemistry than a LiPo so you're good!   

What I always tell people though is not have just one setup. If something goes wrong, you'll eventually go and buy a pack because cigarettes are available 24/7, vape shops aren't :thumbsup:      

• Like 1

Thanks @Kutusov don't know what I would do without you! :biggrin: Sounds like I'm charging it about right then :thumbsup: I was thinking about getting some spare stuff, particularly a tank as I thought this the most likely thing to get damaged being a gardener, but I may well add another battery to this as well (along with coils etc etc lol) All in all it's still gonna be a lot cheaper than smoking as I've only used about 5ml (half a bottle of Halo Classic Virginia) in three days (ish).  

As an aside I found a nylon knife pouch kicking about and have found this perfect for carrying the minivolt in, keeps it out of harms way (on your belt) but always to hand! :yes: 

Edited by graham1981

Box mod, yes :biggrin: Mod comes from "modification" of torch tubes that made the first ecig personal vaporizers and the reason why the standard battery for vape gear is the 18650 format. Box because... well... it's shapped like a box :tongue: Could be a tube mod though.  

If you are a gardener, maybe these pouches come in handy. They are labeled by multiple brands and should be very cheap: http://www.advken.com/kit/Vapor-Bag-V1.html

Or get a tactical pocket and strap it to your belt, those are cheap too! 

Edited by Kutusov

Yey! Is it the black or the blue one? 

Got me something today also (it's the second Kayfun Mini V3) :rolleyes:

20161215_151403.jpg

Edited by Kutusov
  • Like 2

I bought the black one and wish I had bought it months ago it is so good . Running 1.8 nautilus coils currently at 13.5w I find I get a good clear constant hit . I do intend on buying another battery and charger that way I can have it constantly in use :)

• Like 1

For that sort of vaping, get a couple of LG HG2 or Samsung 30Q. Don't buy anything with "Fire" on the label... it's a good hint of what might end up happening :tongue:

• Like 1

I may get the ones you told me about via pm ,, the ones from gear best and the charger  as I am not really in a rush for them :thumbsup:

Well just a quick post to say it's been exactly a week since I got the CoV minivolt and I haven't had a single cigarette in that time, not even a single puff :yes: I felt a bit rough at the beginning and my breathing was a bit dodgy but TBH I think that was more to do with the fact I was still getting over tonsillitis. The minivolt has definitely made me realise that with this e-cigarette lark you need to make sure you get a set-up suited to you, if you don't you find yourself going back to the cigarettes (the disposable e - cigs just didn't work for me).

I'm probably using a bit more juice per week than I thought I would (about 1 10ml bottle a week) but the juice is still only going to cost me £3.99 a week. I haven't burnt through a coil yet so will have to see how long they last. I bought some supplies yesterday to make sure I will always be able to vape (pack of coils, a new Nautilus tank and some more e-juice)

So glad I started on the e-cigs :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, graham1981 said:

Well just a quick post to say it's been exactly a week since I got the CoV minivolt and I haven't had a single cigarette in that time, not even a single puff :yes: I felt a bit rough at the beginning and my breathing was a bit dodgy but TBH I think that was more to do with the fact I was still getting over tonsillitis. The minivolt has definitely made me realise that with this e-cigarette lark you need to make sure you get a set-up suited to you, if you don't you find yourself going back to the cigarettes (the disposable e - cigs just didn't work for me).

I'm probably using a bit more juice per week than I thought I would (about 1 10ml bottle a week) but the juice is still only going to cost me £3.99 a week. I haven't burnt through a coil yet so will have to see how long they last. I bought some supplies yesterday to make sure I will always be able to vape (pack of coils, a new Nautilus tank and some more e-juice)

Well done and very true about the proper set up! It should work for the vast majority of people but everyone is different. I've heard of people that were only able to make the switch using high power, direct to lung set ups with very low nic liquids. I personally needed the opposite, tight draw, low power and high nic liquids.

10ml per week is very frugal and remember this is all about harm reduction. Even if it's more expensive, at least you're at least 95% less likely to kill yourself. I probably vape 5 to 6ml a day but I'm using DIY liquid that ends up at slightly less than 11mg of nicotine. I vaped a lot less with 18mg but it's very hard to find that nic strength and as I got better tanks 18mg was too strong anyway. I ended up making my self nic sick a couple of times while having a drink and puffing away 18mg.       

Two ways you can decrease costs though: 1) buy liquid in larger quantities. Because of the TPD that will come in place in the UK on the 1st of January, you can do something similar to what I do: buy a big bottle of base, add flavouring. You know have this site that will sell you nic shots, PG/VG base and flavour concentrates. You just mix the stuff and should end up cheaper, plus they are using some of the best UK companies:  http://www.justaddnic.co.uk/  2) When you feel more confortable with it, you can get a rebuildable tank. Wire and organic cotton is extremely cheap and no more buying comercial coils. Rebuildables vape better too.      

• Like 1

5 hours ago, graham1981 said:

well done on not having a cigarette  :thumbsup: I agree though it is about finding the correct setup . 

• Like 1

Well just another update - It's been a month since I got the MiniVolt and I haven't had a single puff on a cigarette in that time!

I'm starting to feel better slowly, my breathing is starting to get better (still not right but I think it's because I'm starting to breathe differently, it sometimes feels like I'm not getting enough air, but when I stop and consciously breathe deeper I feel better) Taste I think is improving, smell hasn't got better yet, but then I had been smoking for 19 years so will take a while to get back to normal I'm sure (my nose feels permanently blocked, but has done for years, down to smoking I guess) :yes: 

I don't hold back on my vaping, if I want to take a puff I do, but it's still costing me a lot less than smoking. So far I've used I think three bottles of liquid and one coil (£10 for three liquids and a pack of five coils is £11 so £2.20 for one coil) which totals at £12.20 for the month as opposed to £10 a week on tobacco (£40 for the month!!) Without going into details, lol, I think my lungs are starting to clean themselves.

So, so glad I started vaping :thumbsup: 

Yeah great news a month without a ciggy well done :thumbsup:

I stopped smoking at new year so it has been a week for me without a cigarette I vape now instead  :)

10 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

Yeah great news a month without a ciggy well done :thumbsup:

I stopped smoking at new year so it has been a week for me without a cigarette I vape now instead  :)

Thanks @jsud2002 and well done on quitting too :thumbs_up: I've found with vaping the weeks of non-smoking seem to fly-by, before you know it you'll be at a month :yes: 

It might be interesting to see how we both feel as we progress as we quit so close together, breathing, sense of smell etc. As I say I haven't noticed a dramatic difference yet (still I know it's doing me good)

I stopped for over a year thanks to vaping. Then about six months ago I went back to rollies for a week or so then started vaping again.

I love coffee but found it wasn't so enjoyable with a vape as a smoke.

Rolling again at present but plan to stop when this packet of tobacco runs out.  Maybe I should try a different vaping tool. I've only used the ego ce5 and a pipe.

Any suggestions?

Rob.... 

37 minutes ago, robden said:

I stopped for over a year thanks to vaping. Then about six months ago I went back to rollies for a week or so then started vaping again.

I love coffee but found it wasn't so enjoyable with a vape as a smoke.

Rolling again at present but plan to stop when this packet of tobacco runs out.  Maybe I should try a different vaping tool. I've only used the ego ce5 and a pipe.

Any suggestions?

Rob.... 

Well I can certainly recommend the Council of Vape Minivolt with the mini Nautilus tank :yes: The only note of caution with this set up is it's a small battery (bonus for me as it's easy to carry) and if you are going to be a heavy vapour it may not last you the whole day on a single charge. This isn't a problem if you have access to a usb port as you can charge and still vape at the same time.

This is where I got mine from:

https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/mini-volt-40w-council-of-vapour

Tank I use:

https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/aspire-nautilus-mini-bvc-clearomiser

And the replaceable part the coils:

https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/aspire-bvc-replacement-coils-5-pack

They have a shop in my town so bought it from there but wouldn't hesitate to buy from their website. I also use their Halo liquid as it's uk made (I use Classic Virginia as it's closest to rolling tobacco)

Aside from the setup (CE5s are terribly outdated and won't be no where near as satisfactory as a newer systems), flavours have a lot to do with it. It's difficult to pair vaping with coffee in a similar way we used to do it with cigarettes. A cigarette after an expresso used to be one the highlights of my day. I could never really replace that.

Tobacco flavours are usually terrible unless you get your hands on liquids with naturally extracted tobacco flavour. They are usually pretty expensive save for this stuff which is very cheap and also very good: https://www.yaeliq.com/steal/product/148527-turkish-tobacco.html (and there are tobacco flavours). They are based in Israel and they are freshly mixed liquids, so not always ready, I think they mix once a week. Don't know how it works now with customs in the UK with the implementation of the TPD and 10ml bottles only thing.

An alternative that many people find stratifying with coffee is bakery and desert flavours: custards, donuts... it's not really my thing so I can't recommend any but I can say that Quack's Goose Juice and Grant's Vanilla Custard are among the most recommended ones within the UK.           

Not long ago I got myself a Kayfun rebuildable and have been enjoying it very much since. After Kutusov's tip,  I put it onto an eleaf Pico mod, which was tiny in comparison to the Aspire Pegasus box I'd been using with my Nautilus and Atlantis. However, the Kayfun is a rather long tank and even with the Pico, it was still too long to be comfortable in my pocket during the day at work, especially as I've been used to the excellent Plato. But I like the Kayfun so much, I started looking for a solution. The Smoant Knight V1 mod seemed to be the answer, until I read that it is uncomfortably heavy. Then I saw that they have put out a V2 and, according to the reviews, it is much lighter. So I took the plunge.

It arrived today and here's my new pocketable favourite:

32122088732_d44013e806_o.jpg
Kayfun on Knight v2 by wotsch2, on Flickr

Very happy with this.

Cheers,
-wotsch

I wasn't planning on collecting damn eCigs as well as watches, but this is what I've ended up with...

32122352512_c144bb7f5d_o.jpg
eCigs by wotsch2, on Flickr

Doh!

• Like 3

...and if you want to be posh you can always go with what the Smoant copied, the twatstick :tongue:

Xvostick_LE_black_SS1.jpg

That was actually a nice choice, I haven't seen the V2 yet but I know it's suposed to be a lot lighter. The first one was a proper brick, something to be expected inside the queen's purse :biggrin:.

BTW, don't know if I've mention this one before but it's cheap and really good. Flavour is very close to the V5 (which is the best atty at that from all I've tried) but the draw is better (Digiflavor Siren 22):

20170107_163116.jpg  

13 minutes ago, Kutusov said:

..and if you want to be posh you can always go with what the Smoant copied, the twatstick

Yes, I spent a while (actually, far too long) looking around for a box for the Kayfun and came across the XvoStick. Doesn't seem to be available any more, just a field on their website to register interest. If enough people register interest, they might make some more it says. It seemed very expensive though, but I suppose it had a certain exclusivity about it. Why twatstick?

How many attys have you got? A cupboard full, I suspect.

:tongue: They (the "comunity") call it the twatstick because it was a very expensive mod that took ages to be ready after pre-orders and had a few problems. It was never a readily available mod, you had to go to their facebook group and what not like all these top end mods. I think they were the main culprits for all these cheaper side by side mods like the Smoant and Tesla Nano.

And yes, I have a cupboard full of attys, close to 50 :laugh: Most of them use comercial coils or RBAs, it was just in the last few months that I finally felt at ease with rebuildables and those are more expensive so I don't have as many.

You do need to get yourself a Mini V3 though, it's better than the V5 :thumbsup:     

18 minutes ago, Kutusov said:

You do need to get yourself a Mini V3 though, it's better than the V5

Aaarrggghhh.

I spent about half an hour looking at it on the Svoemesto website two days ago and nearly did. But I've spent enough on the mod and liquids this month already, so I did the sensible thing and didn't pull the trigger. And it only takes 2ml.

Still, it'll be February soon.

Edited by wotsch

10 minutes ago, wotsch said:

And it only takes 2ml.

Still, it'll be February soon.

No, it's not... both of mine are now 4.2ml :whistle:

20161215_151403_1.jpg