• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Raptor

Smoking To Vaping?

19 hours ago, Kutusov said:

as soon as I left the plane, I realised my Kayfun had slipped from my pocket and stayed behind on the seat

Sh*t. I would have been feeling gutted at that moment. Losing a Kayfun would be terrible, cos apart from being wonderful devices, they're not exactly cheap either.

Glad you got it back again.

3 hours ago, wotsch said:

Sh*t. I would have been feeling gutted at that moment. Losing a Kayfun would be terrible, cos apart from being wonderful devices, they're not exactly cheap either.

Glad you got it back again.

You've got to check out the Hussar, you'll love it! it's better than the KF5 but costs almost twice though, especially if you go with a couple of accessories.  Still a bit less than a watch :biggrin:

19 hours ago, Kutusov said:

You've got to check out the Hussar

Looks very interesting and as I haven't bought a watch for ages (Amphibias excepted)...

No, no, no!

You have one? Tell me more. Workmanship? Taste? Easy to build? Single or dual coil? Photos?

Edited by wotsch

2 hours ago, wotsch said:

You have one? Tell me more. Workmanship? Taste? Easy to build? Single or dual coil? Photos?

I do and it replaced my KF5. It's machined well enough, not as heavy or industrial feeling as the Kayfun, PC tank makes it a lot lighter too. Single or dual coil option (you have to choose which deck you want and you can buy the other deck and change it latter on).

It's very easy to build, not far off the Kayfun. Cotton doesn't have a well to be pushed to, so you should just prime it and mold it to liquid feeding holes. Coil is better positioned upside down (and so, wrapped counterclockwise) because the posts are tall and there is room for 3mm coils mounted that way. It's just a tinny bit more work than the Kayfun but on the other hand I never had a single flooding or leak - I do need to occasionally retouch the 5.

Flavour is... a bit different. I would say it is better in the main inhale but the Kayfun has an extra in the very end of a draw which doesn't exist with the Hussar. It's where the Kayfun is pretty unique anyway, most atomizers don't give you that. Airflow and draw is a lot better IMO, it's just tighter, smoother and full. The chamber is smaller than the Kayfun, so vapour comes more condensed. Bit louder though. BTW, it has several airflow centre pins, I run mine with the straight out of the box 2.4mm one. I also have a 2mm one that I never tried and I know there is a 1.2mm.

Lots of customization with this thing, the only thing I bought is what they call the "torpedo" top cap (the one with the fins):

20170515_182247.jpg

20170516_144226.jpg

20170515_182430.jpg

20170602_211859.jpg               

Thanks for that! I'd never hear of it before (probably because I don't spend any time on the eciggie forums). I'm going to have to think about it a bit. I'm still blown away by my Kayfun every time I put in a new coil and wick, so I'm not sure I need another. But then again, the way you describe it I'm sure it would be worth the price and it certainly looks the business. Any reason other than the look that you went for the clear tank and not the yellowy/orangey one.? They seem to be different materials, but the price is the same.

The other thing I'm looking at is a dripper - an OBS Cheetah. Much less expensive, but I'm not sure the inconvenience of a dripper is what I'm after.

BTW: In Cold Blood is a great book (your last photo). I read it years ago and I remember it was a revelation.

I had a puff on my Atlantis 2 this evening for the first time in ages. I usually prefer MTL, but had a great evening blowing clouds into the warm summer air.

Edited by wotsch

2 minutes ago, wotsch said:

Thanks for that! I'd never hear of it before (probably because I don't spend any time on the eciggie forums). I'm going to have to think about it a bit. I'm still blown away by my Kayfun every time I put in a new coil and wick, so I'm not sure I need another. But then again, the way you describe it I'm sure it would be worth the price and it certainly looks the business. Any reason other than the look that you went for the clear tank and not the yellowy/orangey one.? They seem to be different materials, but the price is the same.

Oh, I steer well clear of the ecig forums, I've learnt my lesson here!:tongue: Hussar vapes in a new and small company, this is their first bit of kit released late last year and they only made another tank after that which is some sort of dripper or RDTA based on the RTA. 

The yellow tank section is made of Ultem which is supposedly a stronger plastic that will resist heat and chemicals better. I think they came out with it in a different batch and I would have preferred it if I had the option when I got mine. Mine is plain polycarbonate and some say it will crack when in contact with some liquids. Other people say it's a thing of the past, that PC now hardly breaks or takes years before it does but I would feel safer with Ultem. Other high end tanks like the Rose 3 or the Hurricane use PC and have no glass option so it's like they aren't all that concern about tank cracking liquids (BTW, I never had a tank cracking on me but I never used PC tanks as a daily carry).

There's another RTA that might be better than the Kayfun and probably the best built one out there, the ESG Skyline. I never tried it and in the end they should all be very similar but just so you know it exists as a top of the line choice. Again, my only issue with the Kayfun is that the airflow feels a bit... hollow, somehow it loses speed or something unless you use it fully open (I use mine on the 3rd setting). If you do vape it with full air, then I'm not sure the Hussar tops it. 

8 hours ago, Kutusov said:

There's another RTA that might be better than the Kayfun and probably the best built one out there, the ESG Skyline

I'm aware of this one but it seems to have been sold out everywhere for ages. I put in my email address to be notified when they make some more, but there doesn't seem to be anything going on there. Going to have to have a think about whether to give the Hussar a go.

5 hours ago, wotsch said:

I'm aware of this one but it seems to have been sold out everywhere for ages. I put in my email address to be notified when they make some more, but there doesn't seem to be anything going on there. Going to have to have a think about whether to give the Hussar a go.

They've changed the deck design and a new batch should have been out by now. I've watched a couple of videos of it being machined in Greece and I know of a couple of people that have the new one for a couple of months. The deck alone takes something like over an hour to make so maybe they are still building stock? This new deck will be sold as a replacement for the already existing tanks so a big number is needed.There's also the TPD thing, they'll have a 2ml and a 4ml version, that has to make things more complicated.    

Just a little ramble.......

Some members may have read that I'm a support worker for people with learning difficulties.

My main service user can and does smoke non stop , one out one lit I kid you not. Now as I smoke myself this was a natural bonding/interaction between the two of us, however it all got too much for me " come for a smoke Keith come for a smoke Keith ". So I decided to try vaping. I started maybe a couple of months ago with an Innokin Endura T18 and was surprised how quickly I took to it, even more surprised that I couldn't hack a 12mg nicotine level so quickly dropped to 6mg. Then I bought another T18 so I had a vape ready to go all the time. 

Today I decided to go up a level and bought an Aspire Zelos kit ( I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to cope with a DTL set up ). Oh my what a difference being able to muck about with wattage and different coil resistance plus being able to adjust airflow on the tank makes.

Now I have said that I was sure I couldn't cope with DTL, WRONG !. In the shop the guy had various flavours to try but all on DTL Smok vape pens, I took to it like a duck to water and, to me , the flavours were amazing. So I think pretty soon I will be going DTL but only at home as I need to keep an eye on my man and the clouds my hinder that lol .

So how many roll ups am I smoking now you may wonder. Well I'm down to 5 or 6 a day tops which to me is a bloody good drop from a couple of 50gm pouches of GV a week don't you think ?. 

I never had any intention of quitting smoking, thought about it but nah crack on. Thanks to my man I'm pretty much there, unfortunately he has no idea its down to him but cheers mate. 

If you have got this far thanks for reading.

• Like 1

I've now (mis)spent a good couple of hours this afternoon watching youtube reviews and thinking whether to wait for the skyline to be available again. That's the absolute wanna-have-this device as I'm a sucker for engineering finesse.

But, as it's not clear when the skyline will be available again, and the hussar is also getting great reviews, I've gone for it and ordered one with the ultem standard sized tank and a radiator top cap. Not 100% clear which deck is coming with it from the online shop, the description seems to suggest both. Looking forward to giving it a go.

6 minutes ago, Leberkäse said:

If you have got this far thanks for reading.

Vaping will look a scray thing for a lot of people coming in, there's too many options. But, like you said, the good thing is that you can find something that is just right for you. Used to be the common knowledge that smokers would prefer MTL vaping. Well, it's not, some want prefer DL and won't be able to quit with a MTL set up. Takes some money and time to research exactly what you need though.  

10 minutes ago, wotsch said:

I've now (mis)spent a good couple of hours this afternoon watching youtube reviews and thinking whether to wait for the skyline to be available again. That's the absolute wanna-have-this device as I'm a sucker for engineering finesse.

But, as it's not clear when the skyline will be available again, and the hussar is also getting great reviews, I've gone for it and ordered one with the ultem standard sized tank and a radiator top cap. Not 100% clear which deck is coming with it from the online shop, the description seems to suggest both. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Where are you ordering it from? You are in Germany, right? You can order one form Intatse and that's the Ultem edition with the single coil deck. https://www.intaste.de/en/hussar-vapes-hussar-rta-single-coil-deck.html

If it's not this shop, email them first! AFAIK the Hussar doesn't ship with both decks and you definitely want the single coil one.

Edited by Kutusov

4 minutes ago, Kutusov said:

Takes some money and time to research exactly what you need though.  

This is the stage I'm at now although compared to watches its cheap !. I'm finding the research interesting and slowly coming to terms with all the terminology. I will no doubt be reading and absorbing from this thread as at the min my knowledge is next to nowt.

1 hour ago, Kutusov said:

You can order one form Intatse

I'd seen them but they're sold out and I couldn't find anyone else in Germany with stock so I ordered from a French online shop. Too late to email them now, they've already notified me it's packed up and off to shipping. I'll just have to wait and see.

A dual coil deck wouldn't be so bad as I don't have one yet and could always order the single coil deck later if I don't get on with it.

Edit: Just had another look at the website and it's the single coil deck. Somehow I read past the bit that says clearly in bold text "single coil deck". Must be getting old...

1 hour ago, Leberkäse said:

This is the stage I'm at now although compared to watches its cheap !. I'm finding the research interesting and slowly coming to terms with all the terminology. I will no doubt be reading and absorbing from this thread as at the min my knowledge is next to nowt.

It's a journey, just like watches...

Edited by wotsch

3 hours ago, Leberkäse said:

If you are into this sort of things, youtube reviews are the best source. Especially if you move into rebuildable tanks as they show you how to set them up and what to go for. 

A dual coil deck wouldn't be so bad as I don't have one yet and could always order the single coil deck later if I don't get on with it.

Edit: Just had another look at the website and it's the single coil deck. Somehow I read past the bit that says clearly in bold text "single coil deck". Must be getting old...

Good! The dual coil in this one looks like a royal PITA to wick and there isn't much point to it, it's a restricted lung hit tank, you don't really need two coil in there. Plenty of good and cheap options to try dual coil setups, the OBS Engine got a lot of praise, Wotofo stuff is also considered excellent, the Hurricane V2 with dual coil deck in the premium camp.

A thing I don't like with these new tanks is that a lot of them are now 24mm or wider and I don't have a single mod that can take anything above 22/23mm :tongue:    

4 minutes ago, Kutusov said:

If you are into this sort of things, youtube reviews are the best source

Indeed. I watched quite a few reviews on the Nautilus 2 tank then somehow moved onto squonking ! ( tbh the term squonking grabbed my inquisitiveness ). It then hit home how popular this whole vaping business is.

• Like 1

Having mastered the K5, I found the Hussar just as easy to build. At first, I found the juice flow control to be extremely tight, independently of how tight I screwed the top on. Swapping the o-ring solved that. Even with that fixed, I'd say the K5 juice control is easier to use and the K5 is easier to fill.

The finish on the K5 is better, seems to be more solid. On the Knight v2 box mod, the K5 is significantly heavier than the Hussar on a Pico, unsurprisingly. The Hussar is significantly shorter but Hussar+Pico is longer than K5+Knight. Don't like the look of the Hussar on the Knight nor the K5 on the Pico, so didn't compare the feel of them the other way around.

I really like the taste on the Hussar, fuller and more intense than the K5, but I like the K5 draw better on the two dot setting.

All in all, they are both great and I don't regret forking out for the Hussar at all. Give me a couple of weeks and I might be able to express a preference and say which one I would keep if I had to choose one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wotsch said:

Having mastered the K5, I found the Hussar just as easy to build. At first, I found the juice flow control to be extremely tight, independently of how tight I screwed the top on. Swapping the o-ring solved that. Even with that fixed, I'd say the K5 juice control is easier to use and the K5 is easier to fill.

The finish on the K5 is better, seems to be more solid. On the Knight v2 box mod, the K5 is significantly heavier than the Hussar on a Pico, unsurprisingly. The Hussar is significantly shorter but Hussar+Pico is longer than K5+Knight. Don't like the look of the Hussar on the Knight nor the K5 on the Pico, so didn't compare the feel of them the other way around.

I really like the taste on the Hussar, fuller and more intense than the K5, but I like the K5 draw better on the two dot setting.

All in all, they are both great and I don't regret forking out for the Hussar at all. Give me a couple of weeks and I might be able to express a preference and say which one I would keep if I had to choose one.

Nha, those are also pretty much my feelings having both for a while. The thing I dislike the most about the Hussar is the little filling port but I just unscrew the whole top part off. JF is not a problem with mine but I have several people complaining about that, I suspect it's the top cap screwed in too tight and pressing the tank section down. As I always took it off to fill, I think that's why I never had that problem. 

Why do you like the draw better on the kayfun, can you tell? I use mine on the 3 dots so maybe you would like the Hussar tighter? I personally can't have an accurate feeling of what is what with the KF, I feel the 2 dots are tighter but makes the air speed sloppy. I do have a narrower Hussar central post, I think it's something like 2mm (the one that comes isntalled is 2.4 or 2.5?). I don't use it so if you want it PM me and I'll send it to you:

20170617_004922.jpg

PS: I always run my Kayfun with the big, bulge SS tank so it was shocking to me how light the Hussar felt. The Kayfun in my configuration will topple a Pico without a battery counterbalancing it :biggrin:  

PS2: Speaking of the Pico, finally found out where people with an alternative battery cap are getting those from. Apparently it's not just aesthetics, it also allows for 24mm tanks (Coilart Mage on the picture):  https://www.lepetitvapoteur.com/en/mod-parts-/3245-battery-cap-pico-23mm.html 

Edited by Kutusov

17 hours ago, Kutusov said:

JF is not a problem with mine but I have several people complaining about that, I suspect it's the top cap screwed in too tight and pressing the tank section down.

That's what I thought, but I have the top screwed on only just enough to seal and it's still very tight. Will keep experimenting with it. As it is, it's a bit of a pain to fill and I don't want to open the top cap with the juice flow open cos it'll leak through.

That's what I thought, but I have the top screwed on only just enough to seal and it's still very tight. Will keep experimenting with it. As it is, it's a bit of a pain to fill and I don't want to open the top cap with the juice flow open cos it'll leak through.

Well, that's a bummer... :( Without the top the tank isn't held in place by anything, so there is nothing to stop the motion except the way the fins on the tank move on top the chamber/chimney assembly. Might be some problem with the molding of the Ultem tank, I could be wrong but I think that the people I saw complaining about that problem all have the V2 like you do. Email the guys you've got it from, they should be able to sort that out if for nothing else by sending you a new tested one. €180 is a lot of money for an RTA.   

On a positive note, I've heard the new batch of Skylines is about to come out any day now.... :whistle: :partytime:

19 minutes ago, Kutusov said:

Email the guys you've got it from, they should be able to sort that out if for nothing else by sending you a new tested one.

I did contact them and they're sending me some new o-rings. Perhaps the ones with it were too thick, we'll see. Also, I've ordered a Steam Tuners tank...:

http://www.vapstor.fr/en/steam-tuners/964-hussar-tower-tank.html

19 minutes ago, Kutusov said:

On a positive note, I've heard the new batch of Skylines is about to come out any day now...

Oh dear...