• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Jj1812

Assembling A Bespoke Swiss Chronograph

Alot of people would consider this to be a fake, as it purports (via the dial) to be a Speedmaster, but is not. You may be advised to use a high quality sterile dial, or risk falling foul of numerous copyright laws.

Suspect he won't be back. He was I think advertising his watches for sale!

Basically, he was cobbling together what might kindly be called a franken watch from generic parts and sticking on a Speedmaster dial. Not an out and out fake, but bally close to it. I'm fairly certain that Omega's legal department would not take a kind view.

I think where he went wrong was using an Omega dial which clearly isn't acceptable , but other than that it wasn't much different from what many of us and indeed the majority of Swiss factories have done , buying in movements and cases but putting their own dials on or in forum members cases sterile dials and not Omega ones.

He wasn't trying to palm it off as Omega , I can't remember the name he gave it ? (but like i say he shouldn't of used the Omega dial ) and Apm101 is right i don't think they would be to impressed by the fact he did

Edited by andyclient

Oh, I think putting an Omega dial on bought in, non-branded parts is actual fakery - though I suppose one might give the benefit of the doubt and say: perhaps he was naive enough not to realise this. On the other hand, perhaps not.

Here's my own customised "Franken Aviator" watch - sterile to a fault!

Custom%206497%20face%201.JPG

Edited by Will Fly

To take bought parts and assemble them, but then to put on a custom designed dial - something original - is basically what people like Steinhart and Laco have been doing for a while.

Sure - if you use an Omega dial you're gonna have problems. But design a unique dial and you're fine