• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
scottswatches

Take A Chance On Me - "just Needs A Battery"

I have bought a few with this description recently, and so far I am 6 for 6, all just needed the battery :thumbup: . But when this was described as needing a battery I took a punt

DSC_1150_zps1db83ebc.jpg

DSC_1160_zps66318f94.jpg

DSC_1163_zps7db41d0b.jpg

Paid a price that nothing would work, it was full of water or a transplanted movement (ie not enough to worry about) and it was working fine when it arrived.

Still can't work out what battery it needs :yahoo:

Shame about the marks on the dial but I think I am still on the safe side of not losing money

Bargain, give it a service and you would still make a healthy profit, unless of course you put it on the sales corner at some point in the future. :)

Well done on a nice find, shame the seller doesn't know what they are doing.

I remember buying a very nice pocket watch from an eBay seller in Germany whose main trade was in pens and pencils. He said that, although he could wind the watch, the crown wouldn't pull out to set the hands... That's because it was a lever-set, Hamilton railroad watch. I was very pleased to get it - at a very reasonable price!

I think you need to get one of those magic automatic batteries - the sort you need when shaking your hand with some imaginary coffee beans in it and hey presto it starts working :lol:

Could the marks on the dial just be dirt?

Could the marks on the dial just be dirt?

Or even bits of old lume from the hands? What a great buy, that's a seriously good find..... :thumbup:

Reminds me of a car advert I saw once "The battery won't bat, the wipers don't wipe and the pistons don't work either!"

Nice find,

Mike

I'm a bout to go and type "needs a battery" into eBay and see how I get on!!!!

I love how all us watches can laugh at the muggles... But, I guess there would be many many many people making the same error... Took me a little while once to persuade the lady at the post office that " no, it doesn't have a battery"

Thanks all. but my luck soon ran out when one of the neighbours kids accidently put a 2ft scratch down the side of my car tonight :taz:

I'll keep looking at the watch and try to remain calm :glare:

Ha!.....my neighbour's just reversed out of his drive...straight into the side of my Son's car that was parked outside our house. New door and wing mirror I think.....Ah well....that's why we all have insurance. No sleep lost.

Ha!.....my neighbour's just reversed out of his drive...straight into the side of my Son's car that was parked outside our house. New door and wing mirror I think.....Ah well....that's why we all have insurance. No sleep lost.

that's the right attitude. My neighbour is a proper chav with more kids than teeth so I'll just have to pay myself or leave it scratched :threaten:

Longines has not missed a beat in the past 24hours :D

I've had the same maybe twice Scott?, usually at a car boot - needs a new battery, "nly works for a few seconds if you give it a wee shake"

OK, here's a pound! I've got one of those cards of batteries, one of them should fit! :lol:

Thanks all. but my luck soon ran out when one of the neighbours kids accidently put a 2ft scratch down the side of my car tonight :taz:

I've long since ceased to be precious about my car - it's there to be used and just ordinary driving gets all manner of paint chips (any motorway trip), scuffs and dents (any car park) as you put the miles on...otherwise you keep it in the garage and never drive it :yes:

Dings on watches on the other hand make me... :censored: :D