• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hamilton Electric Saturn

Silver Hawk

You may remember I lost out 2 weeks ago on an eBay bid for a Hamilton Electric Spectra...a dealer got it. sad.giftaz.gif

But I then won on the even rarer non-working Hamilton Electric Saturn. smile.gif

Well, here she is. I had to do all that micro-surgery to change the gold contact on the 505 movement, cleaned the rest of the train and popped in a battery and, touch wood, its keeping perfect time smile.gif

The case is 10K White Gold filled.

A real difficult watch to photograph but I think you can still see the connection between the Spectra and earlier Spectra. The Saturn dial still has the lines radiating out from the "6".

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your kind comments. punk.gif

I am beginning to wonder whether I should just focus on electric and/or asymmetrical-cased watches. So that would be mainly Accutrons and Hamilton Electrics plus the odd Wittnauer Electro-Chron. The Accutrons are everyday wearers but the Hamiltons would require special attention. wink.gif

I do hate watches that have stopped. sad.gif So if I did go down this route, I think my automatics would be the first to go, but that would include all my bullheads, O&W Mirage, Seiko Yellow diver, etc etc eek.gif

I'll have to think on it..... msn-cry.gif

Paul

I bet that one never appears on the sales forum biggrin.gif

Correct! smile.gif

Well done Paul, your 'electric' collection must be quite something now  smile.gif

Getting that way! smile.gif

Battery makers must love him laugh.gif  laugh.gif

They do! sad.gif

TOTALLY GORGEOUS  Paul! biggrin.gif

I love Hamilton's asymmetrical case designs punk.gif

Do you use rechargeable batteries for your electrics? ph34r.gif

Err, no! blink.gif

Great watch Paul, you must have bounced off the walls when it fired up. laugh.gif

Thanks Mark....

For a minute there, I thought you might say "wank!" laugh.gif

I never would, but when anybody proudly shows their new watch and asks for opinions, I always want to say "wank!" Childish really

I wasnt sure whether this was directed at me (Hamilton, Bulova), or whether I'm misunderstanding your comment. sad.gif In any case, I'm going to continue to post pictures of any new watch I obtain although I rarely ask for opinions on them, I post them because I think others may wish to see them. By all means say "wank!" when you see them laugh.giflaugh.gif

Cheers

Paul

A very hearty good morning again.

Along the "electrics" line; whenever "electric" came up, I always thought first of the Accutron, and I did see a Timex electric or two, though never had one in my hands. Never knew that Omega also did a tuning fork watch. And yesterday I also came upon a Citizen 'tuning fork'.

Am I right in guessing that these were in some way connected to Bulova, or that they outwaited the Bulova patent?

I know there is a Timex Guru around.

What type of movement is in the Timex, please Captain?

Timex electrics have a balance wheel movement nothing so exotic as a tuning fork I'm afraid.

If you just slapped a regular tuning fork and a balance wheel down on a table together, my vote for 'exotic' would probably go to the balance wheel. I wonder how many low-pitch tuning forks become high pitch tuning forks during final QA and tuning. ("Sh.t, I filed too much off that one again, guess I file it off some more and go for the next note...")

So where does the "electrics" sit inside the Timex?

The Accutron 219 movement was used in the Citizen Hi-Sonic , cal. 3700, 3701 and 3711.

Oh, I certainly believe that, just thought it is interesting that it actually has "Citizen" and "Japan" marked on the movement. So, was the Accutron movement copied in Japan, under licence, or were these Bulova movements, marked differently for the Citizen, or were all of the Accutron movements made in Japan for Bulova? Man, watches and watch movements seem to have become almost as incestious as Formula 1 race cars..

Quick view of a Timex electric movement, this in from 1970 as you can see it's set by a crown at 3 as opposed to the earlier back set models.

later Timex added a quartz circuit to this design which actuall checked the balance was swinging in time and if it wasn't corrected it to make it more accurate. A lot of these watches were marked quartz on the dial to cash in on the move to quartz watches in the late 70's early 80's.