• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
martinzx

Current Moderators Or Lack Of Them.

I think the introduction of a straps section will help, too.

Anything to do with leather, and wrist belts would go down well on this forum :eek: :lol:

I blame the 'WIS Game' thread. :tongue2: It's developed its own gravity and is sucking all the posts in. None can escape to the rest of the forum.

Oh, and it's summer. It's always slow in summer. Posting on forums is a 'dark evenings' hobby.

Oh dearie me! :eek: Of course, it [the WIS Game] may well run it's course as a feature once a certain posts figure is reached - - - :yes:

(To be replaced with something equally as puerile and silly that folks might like! :lol:)

:whistle:

I think the introduction of a straps section will help, too.

Anything to do with leather, and wrist belts would go down well on this forum :eek: :lol:

Not with everyone, Mel :yucky: :P

I have been a member here for about 4 years & I think this is one of the best watch forums out there. But I would also say it is floundering a little these days, that is just my opinion. One of the reasons may be what I state below??

I would like to ask who are the current moderators? And how many actually post / moderate the forum these days? I know there are several who I miss.

I think one of the reasons this forum stands out from the crowd the way this forum is moderated & always found it very well done. But lately it seems to have very little input / posts from current moderators except Mach, and maybe PhilM. If I have left anyone out I apologize.

Maybe it is time for some new blood? Please note I have no desires or do have the time required for the commitment needed, but there are several members, that come to mind, who post here regularly, have a proven commitment, wisdom & experience needed.

I have no agenda here, any opinions or comments?

Cheers Martin :)

Moderators are on sites to moderate. I belong to another site (it's irrelevant what) but the mods have a full time job deleting posts and members, many of whom are incognito. I just don't think there's a case to be answered for on here..

So are we going to get a strap section think it may add a little to the forum any other ideas from any one else

The request for a Strap Section has been put before the Moderators Committee & will be considered at the next meeting :gathering:

:P

Didn't we have that before, a couple of years ago? Besides, I think most of us don't get a feel for a strap if it's not on a watch and those combos end up in the general section anyway...

I say ask Martin to regularly come up with controversial topics, he's responsible for a lot of high-volume threads like this one! :notworthy:

I can't help thinking yet another niche forum would only dilute the amount of posts even further. Without properly adding up the numbers look at the off topic sections and some of it has almost been abandoned. In my humble opinion some good guys were chased off by people who these days hardly ever post these days.

At the risk of being accused of only posting controversial comments again :grin: I would suggest that the extra forums have had a detrimental effect in the last wee while. To few people in to many places, maybe go the other way and cut the ones that get little or no traffic, compress it a bit rather than expand.

Just a thought and they were asked for.

:)

Edited by BondandBigM

Fair point Bond, and we have merged a few boards already over the last few years.

Again were open to ideas, from all of our members

Fair point Bond, and we have merged a few boards already over the last few years.

Again were open to ideas, from all of our members

If we are to have a "strap" section, I think we need to consider a "cane" sub-forum with maybe a thumbscrews and latex - - - - :ph34r:

Ooops, wrong forum again :lol:

:whistle:

I'm perfectly happy with "nice watch" posts... I often post something similar myself... It was the lack of volume of responses that was a little disheartening

"Nice watch" simply communicates that you've seen it, appreciated it and confirmed as much to the person who took the effort to put the post up! :)

I think you will find that there are certain brands, styles and even periods that will attract far more comments of an approving type than others. And what attracts people on one forum like honey attracts bees can, on a different forum, fall completely flat.

Banning G-shocks might help :)

And being less obsessed with links to other sellers as I don't think Roy even sells watches anymore does he? :eek:

Personally, I find it difficult to post positive comments about another Seiko mod, or a £5 Aldi strap so my posts tend to be limited to a rare few threads. There used to be an interesting cross section of styles and tastes but it's been getting a bit samey lately :(

As Avo pointed out, there is more interest elsewhere for a wider variety of watches and brands.

As an example, I posted a thread about my Nomos on here. This is a brand that is one of the few brave and innovative enough to be making its own movements rather than pilfering from stock mass manufactured parts - I received 4 replies on here and 4 pages on CW Forum. It's not a criticism, just an observation.

As for solutions, more users would help and that might be down to association with the RLT brand but as Roy doesn't seem to be active how do you encourage new converts? That's how I discovered the forum, through RLT watches.

And I don't think a strap thread will make any difference.

I do have to say though, that I've learned a lot from the forum and there are plenty of good people on here who make me smile so I'll be sticking around. Sorry :(

But isn't it the case that there's a bit of a love-in on the CW forum with Nomos? There are a few members there that contribute enthusiastically, or quickly jump in at every opportunity, with a mention or a photo of the brand. Here, the equivalent brand is Seiko! :eek:

Personally, both leave me a little underwhelmed (having now seen many Nomos in the flesh) and inevitably lots of Seiko's.

I would say a bit of diversity between forums is a good thing for us, the users.

But isn't it the case that there's a bit of a love-in on the CW forum with Nomos? There are a few members there that contribute enthusiastically, or quickly jump in at every opportunity, with a mention or a photo of the brand. Here, the equivalent brand is Seiko! :eek:

I don't get that feeling at all... Seiko is always present on any watch forum for all the right reasons but you go to TZ and you'll see a lot more Seikos there. And not just the SKX007 and the Monsters.

I don't know but here's my feelings. When I got in the forum, was a time that a lot of boutique brands started to pop up. So lots of new watches and curiosity and reviews and those things go together. I did write a few reviews back then but that takes a lot of time with the gathering of the information, the pictures and all that. After a while, most of us pretty much know what to expect from a watch and, if something new shows up, I'll just google it and see what some blogger thinks about it and why. The why will help me make up my mind. So I find myself not willing to write a review that won't help much anybody and I don't depend exclusively on the forum for such a thing either. And for new watches I'm not aware, there's the weekend photo threads.

I think the forum is fine and it's certainly not the mods job to entertain us and make us engage in stuff like in some atrocious Club Med holiday resort. And me must thank Roy for keeping this forum, even if it's no longer much of a platform for his businesses. We should also respect the fact that if he moved to other stuff, he's probably right in doing so. Imagine the time and effort to come out with watches for a microbrand and the relatively little monetary return it should bring!

I think the forum is fine and it's certainly not the mods job to entertain us and make us engage in stuff like in some atrocious Club Med holiday resort.

I want this clearly understood right now - I am not going to wear a yellow jacket...

cast.jpg

:lol:

Yeah, something like that (!). As I've just noticed this section, my first sight was one 'Fancy a walk'?. As I didn't have my reading glasses on I momentarily wondered how far the diversity and entertainment of this site was.....