• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Vmate

Leonidas G.s.t.p

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, and have to admit I'm not too big on watches, but I collect world war 2 militaria and I came across this Leonidas G.S.T.P which i want to find out more about.

I already found a topic here about the same type of watch, and read up on the markings so Im familiar with GSTP now, I'm just wondering if there is any way to find out more about the watch's history.

Dial:

KTFnKeq.jpg

Military markings on the back:

Army marking: British broad arrow with G.S.T.P

Army serial number: N 5518

XJWTCsu.jpg

Markings inside the watch:

Serial Number: 373738

no markings on the movement

laeDWzE.jpg

somebody carved: W. J. 15. 4. 50 into the side of the lid as well (I guess the owner)

/the opened pics were taken by the guy i bought it from, i dont have the tools or confidence to open it/

I checked it for 3 days now and it keeps time very well, I only gain a few extra seconds every day. Is there any way to track the history of the watch (which unit, or at least branch received it)? Also if anyone can give any info on these pocket watches and how they ended up in British service I would be grateful :)

Hi there. GSTP watches are great, and we're made by loads of manufacturers, leonidas being one. Unfortunately, unless you trawl through every units qm records, you'll never know where a particular one came from. That said, somewhere there is a record of what the letter prefixes mean, I'll see if I can find it. Lovely watch though.

Hi there. GSTP watches are great, and we're made by loads of manufacturers, leonidas being one. Unfortunately, unless you trawl through every units qm records, you'll never know where a particular one came from. That said, somewhere there is a record of what the letter prefixes mean, I'll see if I can find it. Lovely watch though.

Ah thank you, would be lovely to know just a rough idea what the N stands for :)

This is a handy document to have: http://german242.com/books/military_timepiece_markings.pdf

I have a number of military pocket watches (currently selling a US military Waltham 1617 from 1943 on eBay) and they're worth having.

Yeah thank you, I have that document myself (comes handy when I come around ww2 era watches)