• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
DaddyPig

I'm Not A Diver And Never Will Be

I have a Jaeger Le Coultre master Compressor Pro Diver Geographic which I have had since new for about 8 months now. I had planed to actually go diving but after an attempt I realised diving probably isn't for me (started to panic when googles fogged up and I was only down 2 meters!).

Having a watch that is going to be telling me how deep I am not going day in day out for the rest of my life isn't what I had planned so I'm thinking of selling and getting another watch of the same calibre. I was thinking of the AP Royal Oak but was told today in the watch gallery that it would be a downgrade. What watch should I be considering to replace the JLC, anyone have any suggestions?

Here the link to what I'm replacing

Master-Extreme-jlc-185T170.png

Edited by mach 0.0013137
As per the Forum`s Rules: Links to or URLs for commercial or other sites selling watches or watch related items are not permitted.

I`m also not a diver, I can`t even swim, my view is that my ancient ancestors crawled out of the water and I can see no good reason to disrespect their memory by going back in :P

Anyway despite that I own a number of diving watches , I`m also not a pilot but I own a number of `pilot`s watches likewise I`m not an astronaut/cosmonaut but I`ve a couple of watches as used by spacefarers and don`t see any good reason why I shouldn`t :astro: :D

I've got a speedmaster - just waiting for the call from NASA :D

Hi. NASA here. We are coming round to confiscate your Speedmaster.

I have 3 Seiko Tuna but I am not fully Japanese.

I'm not a diver either but if you send it to me, as I live on the coast, I will happily take it out next time I go fishing and lower it overboard on the end of my line to let you know if it works OK..... Come to think of it that may not work as when I wind it up to check what it's saying, it will be saying sea-level again...... :shocking:

I was thinking of the AP Royal Oak but was told today in the watch gallery that it would be a downgrade. What watch should I be considering to replace the JLC, anyone have any suggestions?

Personally, I would get the watch I like regardless of how it might be perceived. However, if you like the Royal Oak but feel you must have something more "upscale" I suggest you check out the Patek Phillipe Nautilus. The design is very similar to the Royal Oak (both of the original models were designed by the same guy) and you can't really go more upmarket than a Patek without delving into the realm of the bespoke.

A downgrade based on what? Stats on paper? Try getting a watch based on emotion - and screw price/stats/reputation. Get something that calls out to you. He'll, go vintage and get 10 for the price of one. Or a lifetime supply of Nappys.

Ha, I guess I asked for that :)

I do have a pilots watch but no one has ever asked me if I'm a pilot but with this watch people ask what the lug on the side if for and when I say "it measures how deep underwater you are" they expect I'm some deepsea diver and ask how far I've gone, the honest answer of 2 metres isn't exactly impressive :-)

Thanks for comments on Nautilus, it's a beautiful watch and I did try one on but the price tag of 28k just didn't seem to justify how much I liked it (and how much of a bollocking I'd get from the missus).

Are the Royal Oak and Nautilus movements inhourse? If JLC made a watch to a similar style to the Royal Oak or Nautilus I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hmmm, should I swap one preposterously expensive and fugly watch for another because I won't be diving to 1000m every day?

Why buy the JLC in the first place if you'd never been diving before? It's like buying a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti to fail your driving test in.

Can't help thinking this is a wind up :eek:

I intended to dive and did go diving with the watch but it really wasn't for me, there is something very claustrophobic about diving that I just didn't expect. I did also buy the watch on a whim (and with a hangover!), I was planning on buying a SubMariner.

Are the Royal Oak and Nautilus movements inhourse? If JLC made a watch to a similar style to the Royal Oak or Nautilus I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

IWC makes the Ingenieur which is similar to the RO or Nautilus. It also shares the shame heritage in that it shares the same designer (Gerald Genta, who has designed a staggering number of now iconic watches) who also designed the Omega constellation. However, as with most entry level IWCs, it comes with a modified ETA movement rather than in house and is considerably cheaper than the Royal Oak (if that is a negative factor that is).

The Royal Oak does have an in house movement, but that should be considered both a blessing and a curse. They can only really be sent back to AP for servicing and you are looking at service costs in the thousands (unlike with some other brands, AP doesn't provides virtually no spare parts to independent watchmakers).

Edited by Jeremy Fisher

I just had a look on their website, expensive mistake !! Maybe you should have tried the diving first before you bought the watch.

:lol: :lol:

Sell it and buy a Submariner, a few have asked if it's real but nobody has ever asked me if I go diving or how deep I've been and with the change left you could still pick up something really nice.

:)

Thanks Jeremy, I looked at IWC, it's a really nice watch but I think I'd still opt for a Roysl Oak.

I had looked at the Submariner for a while and actually planned to get it before I bought the JLC on a whim. Perhaps the Submariner and then a JLC Master Moon or JLC Master Geograpihic with the change. It does lead me back to the previous,dilemma of date or nodate!

Look at the Sea dweller as well as the Submariner. I did and bought the former for its slight size difference and greater dive ability should you ever go back to it.

Just my opinion so please make your own decision. After all one man's Rolex is another's Seiko.

Where is the best place to sell the JLC, I'm guessing on EBay I will get a whole load of "can you post to Timbuktu?"

If you bought this brand new I would say that if you sell via e-blag then you could be taking a serious hit in the pocket. Why not see what the dealer you bought it off, offers you first.

:fox:

Where is the best place to sell the JLC, I'm guessing on EBay I will get a whole load of "can you post to Timbuktu?"

Just wait until you've posted another 43 times, and you'll be able to sell in the SC here....where there are many more serious watch buyers.

Yes I bought new (with a discount) but I reckon I'm going to make a big loss, I've enjoyed wearing the watch but could have probably leased a nice sports car for the same cost.

I had a look at the sea dweller 4000, not as chunky as the deepsea so that may be in the running.

Bond - LV Rolex is a good idea, there is a Watch Finder showroom near to where I work, is there anywhere else you'd recommend?

I didn't realise I could sell on here, I was going to try my luck on eBay first as I'm in no rush; though once I decide on the replacement I probably will be!