• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Iceblue

The Watch Forum Whisky Club

Gentleman welcome I see there are a few acquired tasting people among us that enjoy a little short or two

Shall we say this thread is for the whisky tasters out there

So we can share good knowledge of what's good and what's not

Spend time telling others of whisky deals out there on the shelves

Also sharing What's your acquired taste tonight

Lol

https://www.haigclub.com/en-gb/home/

I did notice that when you buy a bottle it diverted you to two outlets

and there was a price difference one was amazon at £37 and a&j at £45

Edited by Iceblue

Now you’re talking blue. :D I was just looking at this from Japan and its malt of the month. Anyone tried it?

I have never had Japanese whiskey. They talk the talk but can they walk the walk?

yama.jpg

Now I might be a bit biased about this because the distillery is literally 5 minutes down the road from me but my all time favourite whisky is a nice GlenDronach 18 yr old Allardice malt. However, all their malts are amazing, I would highly recommend any of them.

They do a few speciality malts too. I happen to have a GlenDronach Cask Strength Batch 3 waiting for a special occasion (probably hogmanay :D ) Cant wait to crack it open!

20141104_174746_zps0703339a.jpg

I once drank a Japanese 'whisky', called, from memory, "Leaping Salmon"

'orrid.

Mekong, Thai rice whisky is interesting, and you usually regain much of your sight..

Yep I am sure I ready somewhere that the Japanese have the no1 spot

Bet they carnt handle a mature malt lol

I am slowly tingling my taste buds with this little tipple

Jura superstition lightly peated with a hint of smoke and spice

A4B31943-EE88-486F-BD9C-40FEB7322036_zps3gzuxeln.jpg

Must say as it was a gift from some one I wasn't planning on drinking it yet but glad I opened it nice and smooth

Edited by Iceblue
  • Like 2

Tobermory 46% was £21.99 at Booths Lancashire supermarkets today.Had to buy a bottle but not expecting miracles from the Mull distillery..will advise.

Fancy that Haig myself ,let us know what you think when you open it . Is it good or expensive coz Beckham is in the ads.

You wanna a treat buy this at £995.95 60 year old

be2f6281c90b549fa3052f6346a722dc.jpg

Bit out of my price range

Is this new club just for Whisky drinkers?.....or can Gin lovers join too?....Otherwise I might have to start a new thread.........I have a bottle of this stuff, but as I don't drink Whisky, for the last few years I've used it as a door stop....

001_zps0fdea455.jpg

002_zpsfa1881b5.jpg

003_zps76f26eca.jpg

004_zpsc3e83bb5.jpg

005_zps031bdc25.jpg

Don't know what it is, or if it's any good....but it's great at keeping the kitchen door open......

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Very much enjoyed a little bit too much Laphroaigh at the weekend. Can't beat an Islay. Peaty, smoky bliss.

Very much enjoyed a little bit too much Laphroaigh at the weekend. Can't beat an Islay. Peaty, smoky bliss.

Only tried that once couldn't get used to the taste , like drinking Dettol . When I say once it was a full bottle ,I persevered lol

Agree with boiler on the Macallan

Edited by mcb2007

My favourite whiskies (among others):

Laphroaig 10y (really like the medicinal/TCP flavour Islay single malt)

Johnnie Walker Black Label (best blend around)

Highland Park 12y (nice 'n' peaty single malt)

Black Bottle (great peaty blend)

Monkey Shoulder (sweet, malty, nice bottle blend of 3 malts)

Grant's Family Reserve (surprisingly good for a cheaper blend)

Tend only to buy when on offer.

Never had a single malt I didn't like.

Wouldn't buy Teacher's Highland Cream (again); find it a bit "rough".

Cheers

Gary

Didn't a Japanese Whisky just take number slot in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible?????

Yes, I read that today here: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/04/suntory-time-japanese-whisky-named-worlds-best-in-sour-dram-for-scotland

-wotsch

I do like whisky and I always like to keep a few bottles around for variation. At the moment, I have a Glenlivet, a Cragganmore, a Mortlach, an Aberlour, a Glenfarclas, a Caol Ila, a Talisker and a Bowmore as well as a Four Roses straight bourbon. All in various stages of emptiness.

My consistent favourites are Springbank (haven't found another whisky that has such a lovely briny note) and Glenfarclas and my favourite bourbon is Woodford's Reserve.

Cheers!

-wotsch

Now you’re talking blue. :D I was just looking at this from Japan and its malt of the month. Anyone tried it?

I have never had Japanese whiskey. They talk the talk but can they walk the walk?

yama.jpg

I had a bottle of that a while back. I was very impressed. Quite smooth, not at all peaty. Recommended even if pricey compared to a scotch.

-wotsch

Edited by wotsch

I do like whisky and I always like to keep a few bottles around for variation. At the moment, I have a Glenlivet, a Cragganmore, a Mortlach, an Aberlour, a Glenfarclas, a Caol Ila, a Talisker and a Bowmore as well as a Four Roses straight bourbon. All in various stages of emptiness.

My consistent favourites are Springbank (haven't found another whisky that has such a lovely briny note) and Glenfarclas and my favourite bourbon is Woodford's Reserve.

Cheers!

-wotsch

Nice selection and some new names in there that I'll have to investigate. I'm impressed you can keep so many on the go. Mine seem to 'evaporate' - either that or I have no self-control and a poor concept of a measure.

What's the Springbank? (New name on me.)

I've been a malt drinker for a number of years and always tend to have a few bottles in. Although I always have quite a few brands on the shelf, my favourite, after tasting quite a few, is Auchentoshan who produce triple distilled single malts that are really superb. I even managed to pick up a couple of bottles of their 'American Oak' in Morrisons recently which was on offer at a very good price, though some of their older vintages can get a bit pricey.

If you fancy something a little different their Vallinch at 57.5% proof is well worth a try and their standard 12 year old is a good place to start...

8425717473_d5ed0c7406_o.jpg

Talisker and laphroig for me, i love the strong bonfire in your mouth flavours. ARDBERG was the just TOO peaty and smokey for me,very medicinal taste. annoying as the bottle cost me fifty quid!

<SNIP>

Nice selection and some new names in there that I'll have to investigate. I'm impressed you can keep so many on the go. Mine seem to 'evaporate' - either that or I have no self-control and a poor concept of a measure.

What's the Springbank? (New name on me.)

Thanks. They all evaporate, roughly at the same rate funnily enough and probably for the same reasons as yours do :D .

The Springbank is from Campbeltown and has a really distinctive taste. I'm convinced you can taste the sea air. Springbank is the main brand, but the distillery does two other brand single malts also: Longrow and Hazelburn. I've tried both too and they are also very good, to my tastes.

Here's the wikipedia article on Springbank: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springbank_distillery

Cheers!

-wotsch

And true to there word £37 next day delivery via amazon , may save it till Christmas until the tasting

D4628B90-2E49-4CF1-928F-A7F00AFD85BA_zpsk6otyzzb.jpg