• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Iceblue

The Watch Forum Whisky Club

5 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

it was used as a doorstop in our kitchen

Now that was an expensive doorstop! :laugh:

4 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I don't know if it had gone off 

Can whisky go off? Maybe you wouldn't have liked it ever.

27 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Can whisky go off? Maybe you wouldn't have liked it ever.

Norm...don't get me wrong, I love whisky...one of my favourites is Lafroaig, not to everyone's taste because of the smoke...it's like drinking a bonfire, but there was deffo somehing wrong with that Aberlour. Which is why it was disposed of.

7 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Norm...don't get me wrong, I love whisky...one of my favourites is Lafroaig, not to everyone's taste because of the smoke...it's like drinking a bonfire, but there was deffo somehing wrong with that Aberlour. Which is why it was disposed of.

Head North for a holiday, and take it back and complain.

http://www.aboutaberlour.co.uk

I was born 10 miles up the road. My cousins husband makes the barrels.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

See, I don't like smoke. I quite like the 10yr Aberlour they sell in supermarkets. Try that and see if it tastes funny too.

• Like 1

The worst Whisk(e)y I've tried was a Four Roses Kentucky Bourbon.  The first few sips were lovely but its floral nature is so overpowering that, before you get to the end of a glass, it tastes like perfume.  It's like drinking a bottle of Chanel.  It might smell nice but it tastes bloody awful.

On 29/04/2019 at 22:28, Biker said:

'Tis lovely that is, as is the Naked Grouse.

Just trying some Naked Grouse now.  Very nice indeed, especially at £19.  Might have to drink down to the label :wink:

Enjoying another old budget (<£20) favourite today.  Haven't tried this for several years and it's a new recipe apparently (which often doesn't bode well) but still very quaff-able.

Black%20Bottle.jpg 

I do like Black Bottle. Reminds me of tinned sardines (but not at all fishy?) Great "new" bottle design. I've had the old version which many reviewers say is better but the revamp does it for me. Not stocked everywhere. Sainsbury's has it in some branches.

On 23/05/2019 at 13:02, rhaythorne said:

Enjoying another old budget (<£20) favourite today.  Haven't tried this for several years and it's a new recipe apparently (which often doesn't bode well) but still very quaff-able.

Black%20Bottle.jpg 

I do like Black Bottle. Reminds me of tinned sardines (but not at all fishy?) Great "new" bottle design. I've had the old version which many reviewers say is better but the revamp does it for me. Not stocked everywhere. Sainsbury's has it in some branches.

3 hours ago, GaryH said:

I do like Black Bottle. Reminds me of tinned sardines (but not at all fishy?) Great "new" bottle design. I've had the old version which many reviewers say is better but the revamp does it for me. Not stocked everywhere. Sainsbury's has it in some branches.

Haha! Yes, I know what you mean.  A peculiar analogy but quite fitting as it's quite "oily".  That might explain why, years ago, my dad was able to buy it from the local petrol station :laugh:

Just finishing off my bottle now which I got from Amazon. 

24 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

Haha! Yes, I know what you mean.  A peculiar analogy but quite fitting as it's quite "oily".  That might explain why, years ago, my dad was able to buy it from the local petrol station :laugh:

Just finishing off my bottle now which I got from Amazon. 

Certainly is oily. Currently £15 at Sainsbury's where stocked. One of the best/interesting affordable blends.

• Like 1

A smooth, mainstream favourite this afternoon.

Bushmills%20Black%20Bush.jpg

But I have two new arrivals that I'm eager to try at the weekend (or maybe tomorrow if I can't wait that long :laugh:)   I've not tried either "The Chita" or "The Hakushu" before, but I have tried their sibling "The Yamazaki".  Together, these three are used to make the superb Suntory blend called "The Hibiki".

Chita%20and%20Hakushu.jpg

Friday night beater:

ezTpj6mZPr9FyR5SDexSBw4leVX21Qx7jt4OBuoyozBNFe--nfXn-xub91xqwjSVh2AR1f-tc4qjM0KRR5pJDidsTYygD0oQVZCFS7Z7QNn3MGW3JrOOf5mmpMrABHqFbNRUlgz9RrY

The stout casks amplify the malty hit of this blend.

Very much like what beer squash / barley water might taste like if drunk straight from the bottle.

Cheerio

QL

519U1xX%2BZML._SY90_.jpg
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

£31.00
Condition: New
Buy it again
41Q51rJI1LL._SY90_.jpg

£30.00
Buy it again
51cUZCZqZYL._SY90_.jpg

£29.95

Amazon Prime day, these three just cost me £68.89 delivered

On 23/05/2019 at 13:02, rhaythorne said:

Black%20Bottle.jpg 

95% Bunnahabhain apparently (according to someone I met on Islay)

• Thanks 1

I don't know much about American Whiskey but am thoroughly enjoying this one.  Much more complex flavours than good ol' JD.

Woodford%20Reserve%20Bourbon.jpg 

• Like 1