UK Watch Forum banner

Help With Seiko Monster Bracelet

10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  cujimmy 
#1 ·
Hi,

First post and I am asking for help !

I have been given an Orange Seiko Monster 200m watch as a present, the bracelet was too big so I paid for a link to be removed. When I took the watch off the pin fell out where the link was removed, some what of a shock.

On closer inspection there appears to be small sleeves inside the bore of the links

that have not been removed, but the sleeve is missing from the link where the bracelet was rejoined. Also the person that did the removal returned the link and pin that was removed in a small plastic bag, but there is no sign of a sleeve in the bag.

What is the best thing to do ? Can these sleeves, pins and links be purchased seperately ?

Only had the watch a day and the bracelet is effectively broken and I can't ware the watch, I could cry
sad.gif

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Nesima

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your problems
sad.gif

This is a well known issue with these bracelets IF your 'in the know' as it were, I dont know if Seiko UK could help ( if you are in the uk that is) as these are 'imports' and not sold in the high street.....there are a few places on the et that MIGHT be able to help, try chronograph dot com .

#4 ·
A quick bit of cutting and pasting from the Seiko/Citizen site!

An idiots guide to link removal from the SKX779 Bracelet....

June 2 2003 at 12:18 AM Jon

A counter balance! That is what they should call the Stainless bracelet that comes with the watch! It weighs like 4 oz. This is a Solid bracelet. I think it could be the strongest bracelet out there. I sized mine today and switched it out with the black silicone I have been wearing.

For all you guys like me(rookies), who have no watch tools and will attempt this on the kitchen table with a paperclip and small needlenose pliers, I have some unprofessional but practical advice.

1) Do not attempt to remove links in a room with carpet.(if the collars fall, there gone!)

2) Measure twice, remove links once!(don't press your luck)

3) I passed on a paperclip and used a blunted pub dart.

4) It is easier to work on the bracelet unattached to the watch. Work with the ARROW marked edge up. I used a piece of cardboard to work on. It worked well, no scratches and I made sure the pin exit hole was slightly over the edge so the pin could exit freely.

5) Push the pin(following the Arrow's direction) down from the ARROW edge of the braclet and carefully grab the pin exiting out the bottom with a fine needlenose plier.

6) Leave the dart/probe/paperclip in the top hole untill you have removed the entire pin from the bottom hole. Then slowly turn the bracelet over(arrow edge down) remove the dart and the collar will fall out of the arrow hole. (Don't loose this collar!)

7) With the bracelet links apart you will notice that the diameter of the holes in the outer links are larger than the holes in the inner portion of the links. This design allows the pin and collar to act as a sort of pressure fitted nut and bolt. As long as their original shape is protected and they are re-installed in reverse of the removal,they will lock the links together firmly.

8) Remember the collar mounts loosly in the arrow edge holes and will not stay in there on it's own untill you have put the pin in the opposite edge hole and pushed the two together.( I used a clothes pin for the initial pushing together then switched back to the dart and a smooth awl from my small swiss army.

I used a rubber pad to place the pins and collars on, so they would not roll away. I can say I did fine and did not lose or bend anything. Thanks to those who posted tips on this matter. They were very helpful! Oh yeah, did I mention,"Don't loose the collars!"
Hope that helps!!!

Joli.

#10 ·
Nesima said:
MIKE said:
Hi Nesima,

Send me a P.M. with your address, I have a spare link/pin/sleeves
wink.gif

Mike

Thank you for your kind offer Mike, I have now PM'd you, took some time to work out how to do it. I think I am evolving into a slow thinking sea mammal i.e. a Dugong or Manatee.

No problem Chris, just poped it in an envelope and should be with you Thurs.

Mike

#12 ·
hi nesima

welcome to the forum,did you take it back to the shop where it was sized?,i find that being reasonable and usually works, after all you didn't pay them to break your watch but to resize it

it could be that the sleeve was still on the bench, or on the floor nearby.

regards john.

doh-i just scrolled down to see mike has come to your rescue, still, shabby work by the shop staff.

#13 ·
Orange Monster now sits proudly on my wrist, personal crisis over thanks to Mike.

Picked up link,pin and collar from the post office lunch time.

Approached job with trepidation and felt like a gorilla with boxing gloves on.

But finally successful with paperclips and cocktail sticks well led on the kitchen floor (no carpet) working on top a tea towel.

Thanks again Mike.

#15 ·
Of course if you buy a bracelet adjusting tool from Roy and take steps to catch the collets and pins, you'll be surprised how easy the job is. The tool itself isn't expensive and I've used it to size many bracelets both for myself and friends, I reckon its more than paid for itself.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.