• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
TONY M

Skx007 Crystal Gasket Source.

Well there is only so much tinkering you can do without something going wrong :wallbash:. In this case I crushed the Crystal gasket attempting to install a Sapphire crystal in a SKX007. It is a plastic gasket which is flat but as of yet I have had no luck finding the correct version at reasonable prices in the usual places (Cousins etc) and $20 + shipping is a bit steep from Dagaz, I have just emailed Harold to see if he has any reasonably priced.

Cheers!

Tony

I think that the Seiko part number is: 86600630 if I'm correct, then Cousins list this as in stock and £2.35 (+VAT and delivery)

Indeed I think you are correct Lord Sugar, I googled that part number earlier but it showed as a bezel gasket however after a more thorough search it appears to be correct. Thank you very much for the response!

Tony

I have unfortunately had more issues fitting a crystal back to this SKX007. I should never have removed the previous sapphire that I fitted which was fine... :wallbash:

I thought I was accomplished to sail through this job as I have done before several times before but I have just wrecked two more crystal gasket rings in the attempt to install my previous crystal which went in fine before. Luckily I still have one final spare gasket remaining but I'm reluctant to rush ahead with attempt number 4 without doing something different this time. Does anyone have any tips?

Many thanks

Tony

I haven't fitted a crystal to an SKX, but I have fitted well over 100 crystals and bar a couple of breakages (domed crystal with a flat die - dohh!!!, wrong sized crystal - too big!!!, pressing too hard - one more turn won't hurt!!) I've never had a problem.

What type of press are you using?

I think the only bit of advice is to ensure that the crystal is lying completely flat as you apply pressure. If you start it wonky, you might have the problems you're experiencing.

Sorry about the delay in replying to this. I am using a very cheap press which is not super but has always done the job in the past.

The crystal is fitted flat but tends to become wonky, this is not usually an issue as I just move the die a little bit to try to straighten it out again.

I will try it again when I have a bit of time after the Christmas week.

Cheers

Tony

I haven't fitted a crystal to an SKX, but I have fitted well over 100 crystals and bar a couple of breakages (domed crystal with a flat die - dohh!!!, wrong sized crystal - too big!!!, pressing too hard - one more turn won't hurt!!) I've never had a problem.

What type of press are you using?

I think the only bit of advice is to ensure that the crystal is lying completely flat as you apply pressure. If you start it wonky, you might have the problems you're experiencing.