• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mrbarry

Rolex Modifications

I have decided to buy a rolex GMT 2 from my local jeweler. I asked if it was available with a roulette date wheel but it was a flat no. In fact a no chance at all ever.

If I was to purchase a roulette wheel from a date just would it fit? Any one got any idea?? I know it would be £££ to get it fitted but I'd do it.

Tia.

Odd dates are red even dates are black. I have a Titus with a sort of roulette date wheel, it's black and green. I'm a big fan of roulette date wheels.

ahhh ok got you, if it could be done then you might have to change the dial aswell or it might be too dark on a day where the colour falls into the black maybe?

mine looks fine tho, I'm not sure if the resale value might be affected if it been messed around with, others will have better info most probably

Resale value doesn't bother me.

I have to correct my previous post too, my Titus has a green and red roulette wheel not black and green.

If you do Rolex will insist in a new replacement one before they work on it. They can be sods for that sort of thing. I don't dare send my Rolex to them as its 45+ years old and I have no idea what nasties it might be hiding

I know they do t like modifications. It's none of their business once I but it though, I don't care for their opinions.

I took my car for it's first service last year and the dealer insisted they would be doing a software upgrade to the sat nav to add the jaguar dealers all across Europe to the POI list, but it would reset my favourites. I refused. I was told plainly it would be done as head office insist and they had no choice. I'm not one to mince words and lest just say the update was not done on that service or the next! It didn't go down well but I refuse to be told what will happen to my own private property.

I very much doubt it will fit, as they are both very different calibre's so the date wheel would be different too.

Your right its none of their business what you do with your watch once you have bought it, but if you have a modification done on a new watch by anyone who is not a Rolex accredited watchmaker that would invalidate any warrantee you have with them.

This could turn out to be very costly, if you had problems with your new watch.

Edited by Dusty

If you do Rolex will insist in a new replacement one before they work on it. They can be sods for that sort of thing. I don't dare send my Rolex to them as its 45+ years old and I have no idea what nasties it might be hiding

I have a very low opinion of Rolex ADs, or should that be an opinion of low Rolex ADs? They seem to believe that no matter when a watch was purchased, Rolex still own it and can always dictate to the person who bought it.

I bought a Rolex 5513 no date Submariner in Vũng Tàu Vietnam in February 1971 and I wore it throughout operations out of Núi Dất until 3RAR returned to Australia in October. The receipt I still have shows I paid US$125 for the Rolex, or A$98 at the then exchange rate. That seemed to me to be very expensive at the time. I remember that almost everyone else in my company bought a Seiko dive watch.

When I returned to Australia I had the Rolex watch back stamped with my name and service number, my regiment, company and platoon, the date I arrived in VN and the date I departed VN. The watch reflected my active service and it had (still has) great emotional significance.

In the mid nineteen eighties I decided the watch needed a service and I took it to an AD in Sydney. When I went in to pick up the watch I found that the thieving mongrels had replaced the original stamped back with a new one and charged me for it!! They even refused to return the original back to me saying it was "not Rolex policy to return damaged parts". I immediately reported the theft to the police and I had two uniformed coppers (one as luck would have it a 6RAR vet) accompany me back to the ADs. As a result of them "investigating the theft of watch parts" and threatening to obtain a search warrant the by now backpeddling and very apologetic AD not only returned and replaced the original stamped back but also refunded the service charge to my Bankcard as "an act of goodwill".

I have had the watch for nearly 44 years, it has been serviced only once by a Rolex AD. The watch has also been serviced since then by independent watch makers in Perth and Melbourne, but it will never again see the inside of a Rolex AD. It is still going strong. In addition they have lost a watch buying customer.

Good for you! I hate being dictated to and that made me smile. I would have paid very good money to be a fly on the wall that day :)

And yes pictures please.

As for warranty, I voided the warranty on a new jag xf on the day of sale. I didn't even drive home, straight from the dealer to the shop where I had a full custom exhaust and de-cat and a remap. So it's not top of my worry list lol. As for jaguar main stealers, their spanner monkeys are a waste of oxygen, don't think they know the best end of a screwdriver to hold!! Substandard work doesn't come close!

Anyway, watches lol. I researched the movement in the watch and eBay lists roulette dials for £250ish, so it's going to happen so long as I can be convinced they are genuine rolex parts and for the movement they claim. Seems there are older GMT's kicking about with them standard fit so should be fine. (Fingers crossed)