• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Silver Hawk

Bird Photos

I know we have a "Bug Photos" topic, but do we have a bird related one? :huh:

I managed to snap a couple of photos of our Jay through the kitchen window this morning. They are shy birds, so it's always a little difficult but he seems so keen on these nuts...

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%201.jpg

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%202.jpg

• Like 2

Can’t feed the birds at home due to my cats. I set up a little feeding station at the office and this little fellow appeared just before Christmas. It’s just a quick snap and I must try and get some better pictures. He comes everyday now and is quite tame.

100_8861.jpg

Lucky to live in an area where birds are abundant. Plus I take feeding them seriously down to mixing my own seed mix for them lol. So never a minute without some activity. Strange winter this as a few visitors that shouldn't be here like Blackcaps and Siskins. Also just had a flock of Redwings who arrived and 3 days later, after stripping the holly berries moved on. Some pics of my frequent more colourful visitors below Taken yesterday and today. The last pic was afew months ago as he is difficult to catch. He appreciates me feeding the birds, as does his mate.

IMG_0719_zpsb3eeb0d2.jpg

GoldSisk_zpsa24e88fc.jpg

IMG_0702_zps043f7670.jpg

If you look closely in the left of the photo below you can see his drab wife. lol.

IMG_0695_zps693f5535.jpg

IMG_04742_zps4525cbe9.jpg

• Like 1

That sparrowhawk's a beauty. Here's a yellow wagtail taken with a phone through binoculars - not a great pic but I'm working on the technique.

9a0eb3a7-f526-4025-8c6d-f981ec4a213f.jpg

I'm not sure if this link will work. It's to the birdguides picture of the week - a buzzard tucking into a fox. Great photo but it might have changed to whatever the new photo of the week is.

Edited by badgersdad

Not a great pic compared to others here but decided to share just for the cheekiness and totally unshy nature of this bird.

Was sitting eating an icecream in Richmond Park, London when it landed on our table.

Now bare in mind it was taken by a ZTE Blade mobile so not great quality but since it was only 2ft away and didn't budge while posing for various shots.

2015-02-02%2011.30.16.png

• Like 1

This mornings visitor is a pain. The green finches wait till my apple trees flower and nick the seeds. One year I had 130 apples off one tree, then the greenfinches arrived and the last couple of years I've had about 6. The squirrel just appaers to clear up what the birds have missed and goes. He nicks my apples too. :yes:

IMG_0740_zps370518ea.jpg

IMG_0735_zpsea5ef1d4.jpg

• Like 1

I love green finches. We had a very noise family of them at our last house, but rarely see them in here in Brighton....but the Jays make up for them. :yes:

I love green finches. We had a very noise family of them at our last house, but rarely see them in here in Brighton....but the Jays make up for them. :yes:

They are great birds but as you say noisy. The alpha male in the spring starts about 5am, with a single very load croak (like the buzzer on game shows for a wrong answer) and repeats it about every 30 seconds from the highest tree point which just happens to be outside my bedroom window :wallbash:

As you say the Jays are pretty shy and although they are around here they dont come in the garden. I don't puts nuts out or it turns into squirrel city. The three I'd love to get a photo of are the woodpecker who I have just started hearing again, the cuckoo when he arrives although they are just about impossible to get, and two tawny owls. I cant get a picture of them no matter how quiet and careful I am when I hear them land on my garden fence. They also give the odd bit of entertainment when they catch something, land on my roof and it escapes. Sounds like gang warfare up there then :D .

Not a great pic compared to others here but decided to share just for the cheekiness and totally unshy nature of this bird.

Was sitting eating an icecream in Richmond Park, London when it landed on our table.

Now bare in mind it was taken by a ZTE Blade mobile so not great quality but since it was only 2ft away and didn't budge while posing for various shots.

2015-02-02%2011.30.16.png

That reminds me of a great pub in Beck Hole where the sparrows ands chaffinches are so tame they'll take bits of sandwich from your fingers. The beer's good too, and you can see dippers in the river by the garden.

Seeing we have also got a Squirrel pic i thought i would post this. Noticed this little chap in the back garden so went and got the camera.

Thought it would run off but he wasnt bothered by me at all.This was taken with a small compact camera , i kept taking a shot and moving closer each time until i was nearly touching it!

Squirrel_zps56dbdd21.jpg

• Like 2

I like taking pictures of squirrels with my Weihrauch HW80 :P

Before I sold it, that was my favourite choice too coupled with H&N Baracuda .22 heavy weight memory sticks :rolleyes:

:fox:

May I add I never take pictures of red squirrels, only pesky grey imports. The ones that keep trying to get into the chicken pen grrrr

Thought i would add a couple of mine, albeit from a while back:

086a.jpg

139a.jpg

045.jpg

Roll on some decent weather!!

Brilliant Pictures , well done!

• Like 1

These taken in 10 mins just now. First pic shows the feeder location is quite rural.Birds I've not posted the pics of are chaffinches, song thrush, hedge sparrows, great tit, blue tit, greenfinches etc been a busy afternoon at the feeder.

IMG_0743_zps0851a780.jpg

Goldfinch - never tire of them

3bc2e20d-ca7f-4d27-8f22-c4a572721ca1_zps8e51d9be.jpg

Coal Tit - so quick and difficult to photograph

8e036d91-940b-4a84-9cc3-1c8a07ce50df_zpsb33d7081.jpg

Bullfinches again as the food is all around lol.

IMG_0754_zps5c872f4f.jpg

And last but not least a young female blackbird that has not quite mastered the feeder. Check the robin going WTF!!

85036801-7a55-4bfd-9046-222eead196bb_zps47909431.jpg

Liking those goldfinch, i did manage to get them into my garden but had to stop feeding generally, attracted rats! It would be fair to describe this shot as a load of c..p :D

DB2.jpg

Liking those goldfinch, i did manage to get them into my garden but had to stop feeding generally, attracted rats! It would be fair to describe this shot as a load of c..p :D

DB2.jpg

Nice shot of the Red Kite taking a dump! That must have been one of those 'What the F**k?' pics when you realised what you'd got.....no-one could have posed that shot. We had one of these perched on a gate pier and it did exactly the same.....it was amazing the distance it managed to fire it! :eek:

lol, i had seen it before but must admit i was a bit taken aback. When i look at this pic it reminds me of the pics taken by the photographer bloke in the Omen, when he sees the jagged line pointing down to the priests neck :D