• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Bird Photos

Silver Hawk

• 1 month later...

On 17/01/2015 at 17:30, Silver Hawk said:

I know we have a "Bug Photos" topic, but do we have a bird related one? :huh:

I managed to snap a couple of photos of our Jay through the kitchen window this morning. They are shy birds, so it's always a little difficult but he seems so keen on these nuts...

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%201.jpg

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%202.jpg

nice shot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My pics have gone as I closed my account woth photoracket before they atarted charging as they removed twpo of my pics of my Heuer Helmet clock, They said I didn't have the copyright, It was my clock and I took the pics so I deleted everything and closed my account!!

Anyhow, These are probably different pics than were in PB!

wvOlSS6.jpg

M4Jgj2P.jpg

2Aumoml.jpg

jRBI0e7.jpg

0M63WpS.jpg

gvZVLK1.jpg

Lc1QsxB.jpg

Fn5MeTo.jpg

zcW3mQw.jpg

2Cs4xBK.jpg

lS1a74h.jpg

I used to go fishing each weekend and had a great little wormery going when this damned thing escaped from, a neighbours and decimated it, I think it went back weighing a couple of pounds more than whe n in came over the fence :taz:

BRg6RM1.jpg

It along with all the rest of it's birdy Chickeny ducky friends were killed by Foxy Loxy so my wormery was safe afterall!!

bZ3anq4.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of the pics :yes::(

John :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just come across this thread.Some really fantastic pictures here.I particularly like the long tailed tits,Jay and nuthatch ones.I had a bird feeder stand and various feeders to hang on it for Xmas.Its been up over two months but hardly any takers so far.I was told that it will take time for the local birds to find it and feel safe using it but does seem to be taking a long time.

On 06/03/2020 at 19:28, champ said:

Just come across this thread.Some really fantastic pictures here.I particularly like the long tailed tits,Jay and nuthatch ones.I had a bird feeder stand and various feeders to hang on it for Xmas.Its been up over two months but hardly any takers so far.I was told that it will take time for the local birds to find it and feel safe using it but does seem to be taking a long time.

I had the same problem with birds not using the feeder station, just a tip, if you have a hedge/bush move your station nearer to them.  Birds need to feel they have the security of cover before hopping onto feeders.  It worked for me!!

On 13/03/2020 at 17:07, fernface said:

I had the same problem with birds not using the feeder station, just a tip, if you have a hedge/bush move your station nearer to them.  Birds need to feel they have the security of cover before hopping onto feeders.  It worked for me!!

This is a very good tip! My feeders are in the middle of my lawn, and it took several weeks for the birds to get used to using them. However, if the lady next door fills her single feeder that she has hanging in a tree, the birds all leave my feeders and flock to hers until they empty it, when they begrudgingly come back to mine again. They must feel more secure in the shelter of the tree.

On 13/03/2020 at 17:07, fernface said:

Yes a good tip!.I will do this tomorrow.Many thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Biker said:

What is it?

It’s either a pterodactyl or a black woodpecker...

If he’s in the UK, then this is still quite a rare occurrence. Despite living in France, they have very rarely ventured over here. Black woodpeckers, not pterodactyls. 

Edited by DJJazzyJeff

3 minutes ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

Ah you’re over the pond, with your fancy names! I think the pileated and black are the same genus, and closely related species wise. Our other (UK) woodpeckers fall into a different genus. 

Yes for now.  These Downy Woodpeckers just had lunch

The one on the left is the Dad, he came first then left - The next two images are the Mum feeding the son...downy-1.jpg 

This Anna's on the left & Rufous Hummingbirds were at my kitchen window today

Anna-s-1.jpg

• Like 3

Friends of the family had this Lady build a nest in their hanging basket......

shr_1122.jpg

And the good lady delivered a set of 4 eggs :)

shr_1124.jpg

after a bit of a wait :watch::watch:

I think she'll need to apply for an extension 

shr_1125.jpg

A bit of a squeeze now and lots of hungry mouths to feed

shr_1126.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A regular visitor........IMG_20200703_194358.thumb.jpg.850a9a30ad1c0316e803292e3b27b61a.jpg

On 19/06/2020 at 11:58, Hayballs said:

Friends of the family had this Lady build a nest in their hanging basket......

shr_1122.jpg

And the good lady delivered a set of 4 eggs :)

shr_1124.jpg

after a bit of a wait :watch::watch:

I think she'll need to apply for an extension 

shr_1125.jpg

A bit of a squeeze now and lots of hungry mouths to feed

shr_1126.jpg

Brilliant collection, many thanks for sharing :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1