• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Silver Hawk

Bird Photos

10 hours ago, themysterybidder said:

Beautiful pigeon.  :yes:  No remarks @Roger the Dodger about being better in a pie!  :nono::thumbsup:

I grew up in San Francisco, where they're as plentiful as flies, descending by the hundreds (thousands?) on Union Square and other locations. Not widely appreciated. Only later in life did I learn they're  Rock dovesbut just learned that there's another variety or label for what I knew, feral pigeons.

We have red shouldered hawks in my area, used to having nests nearby and hearing the brood's teenagers loudly cavorting in late spring. Beautiful in flight, majestic sitting still on a tree or pole over a pasture watching for the next meal (their hunting strategy). 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Not widely appreciated.

I just love them!  :yes:

PGx30j2.jpg?1

Two collared doves and one in flight.

YkwU9sV.jpg

dcF7UUn.jpg

A pigeon looking a bit fluffed up in the wind.

SezZNmy.jpg?1

tZ3ugZf.jpg

X2uooeC.jpg

Seagull in flight.  

XcIk41T.jpg

Some sparrows, quite lucky to get some shots of them as they move so quickly!

itNrpud.jpg

Q88tb1h.jpg

JAci8RC.jpg

8KhGD7H.jpgSoTk55z.jpg

• Like 3

If you have a couple of Samsung devices like a phone and tablet, they can be synced together using the Samsung 'Sidesync' app. What this does is make your phone screen appear on your tablet, and you can then control the phone from the tablet screen. In photo mode, this means you can use the tablet as a remote shutter release and capture shots while being metres away from the phone. I set my phone up on a tripod out in the garden, focused on the bird feeders, then synced it to my tablet. I was then able to go indoors and remotely operate the phone camera without scaring the birds. Everything that the camera could see was on my tablet in real time, so I was able to click the shutter whenever a bird landed on the feeder. This was just an experimental first attempt, and some of the pics aren't too clever as the feeder was moving when the birds landed or the wind blew...I must tether it so it can't move for the next attempt. Only a few of the more common tits about today...hopefully I'll get some pics of the Long Tailed tits and the Nuthatch that frequent the feeder soon.

EDIT: Since posting this, I have found out that Samsung no longer support the 'Sidesync' app and you can no longer download it. This is because it only works with devices up to the S8 phone and lower. If you still have it downloaded, you can continue to use it, but if your phone is higher than an S8 you need the newer version, 'Samsung Flow' which does exactly the same. Incidentally, there are also lots of other 'mirroring' apps for non Samsung devices out there which allow you to do the same...you just need to search them out in the App store.

Blue tit, Great tit and Marsh tit.

Garden birds.

Blue tits...

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Great tit...

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Marsh tit...

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Coal tit...

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Robin.

Garden birds.

The set up...

Garden birds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Having made the feeder a bit more secure, I had another go at some shots of garden birds. It was a nice sunny day so they were out and about in numbers. 

Blue tits

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Robin.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

The Nuthatch made an appearance...

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Just as I'd given up hope, the Long Tailed tits arrived. They normally congregate in a group, and the most I counted on the fat feeder was eleven...though the pics were too crowded.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

Garden birds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Had a few of these in the garden a few years ago - ate every berry on the bush before moving on. They stripped the berries from most bushes in the village and not seen them since.

Image may contain: bird, sky and outdoor

• Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 16:06, Roger the Dodger said:

Having made the feeder a bit more secure, I had another go at some shots of garden birds. It was a nice sunny day so they were out and about in numbers. 

Brilliant pictures. What's the feed you're using in the basket?

1 hour ago, spinynorman said:

Brilliant pictures. What's the feed you're using in the basket?

Hi, Norm...suet pellets and sunflower hearts in the baskets. I tried dried mealworms, but they were just left.

• Thanks 1

Image result for bluebird car nissan

On 15/12/2019 at 19:26, Roger the Dodger said:

Hi, Norm...suet pellets and sunflower hearts in the baskets. I tried dried mealworms, but they were just left.

question are pints of cold tea good for them?

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

Image result for bluebird car nissan

Good to see a bird photographed in its natural environment.

What did you use to attract it; sunflower hearts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boots said:

Good to see a bird photographed in its natural environment.

What did you use to attract it; sunflower hearts?

the smell of old people 

15 hours ago, Cyclops930 said:

Only just found this thread. emoji16.png

955781cf39d00574f19e0fb78490c8ba.jpg

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Love the Goldcrest...Britains smallest bird I believe, with quite a unique nest, suspended between conifer twigs.

Egyptian goose and early goslings photographed yesterday

large.1800483408_IMAG1624-Copy.jpg.27b1badd6a10064d6f57daf78f634a2b.jpg

• Like 2

On 17/01/2015 at 17:30, Silver Hawk said:

I know we have a "Bug Photos" topic, but do we have a bird related one? :huh:

I managed to snap a couple of photos of our Jay through the kitchen window this morning. They are shy birds, so it's always a little difficult but he seems so keen on these nuts...

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%201.jpg

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%202.jpg

nice shot