• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Silver Hawk

Bird Photos

I know we have a "Bug Photos" topic, but do we have a bird related one? :huh:

I managed to snap a couple of photos of our Jay through the kitchen window this morning. They are shy birds, so it's always a little difficult but he seems so keen on these nuts...

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%201.jpg

Jay%20on%20Bird%20Feeder%2020150117%202.jpg

• Like 2

That sparrowhawk's a beauty. Here's a yellow wagtail taken with a phone through binoculars - not a great pic but I'm working on the technique.

9a0eb3a7-f526-4025-8c6d-f981ec4a213f.jpg

I'm not sure if this link will work. It's to the birdguides picture of the week - a buzzard tucking into a fox. Great photo but it might have changed to whatever the new photo of the week is.

Edited by badgersdad

Not a great pic compared to others here but decided to share just for the cheekiness and totally unshy nature of this bird.

Was sitting eating an icecream in Richmond Park, London when it landed on our table.

Now bare in mind it was taken by a ZTE Blade mobile so not great quality but since it was only 2ft away and didn't budge while posing for various shots.

2015-02-02%2011.30.16.png

• Like 1

Thought i would add a couple of mine, albeit from a while back:

086a.jpg

139a.jpg

045.jpg

Roll on some decent weather!!

Brilliant Pictures , well done!

• Like 1

Liking those goldfinch, i did manage to get them into my garden but had to stop feeding generally, attracted rats! It would be fair to describe this shot as a load of c..p :D

DB2.jpg

Liking those goldfinch, i did manage to get them into my garden but had to stop feeding generally, attracted rats! It would be fair to describe this shot as a load of c..p :D

DB2.jpg

Nice shot of the Red Kite taking a dump! That must have been one of those 'What the F**k?' pics when you realised what you'd got.....no-one could have posed that shot. We had one of these perched on a gate pier and it did exactly the same.....it was amazing the distance it managed to fire it! :eek:

lol, i had seen it before but must admit i was a bit taken aback. When i look at this pic it reminds me of the pics taken by the photographer bloke in the Omen, when he sees the jagged line pointing down to the priests neck :D

Took this yesterday. The Siskin, little chap on the left shouldn't be here just now but he's been about since Christmas. His wife is with him too but I can't get a picture of her.

IMG_0785_zps229f65d5.jpg

Edited by Alas

Took this yesterday. The Siskin, little chap on the left shouldn't be here just now but he's been about since Christmas. His wife is with him too but I can't get a picture of her.

IMG_0785_zps229f65d5.jpg

You are so lucky to have the variety of birds visiting. Hope you dont mind me saying but if you placed a branch close to your feeders, you could get brilliant shots without the feeder becoming the focal point. The birds pretty much always land on the adjacent branch before actually jumping onto the feeders, regards Brian

You are so lucky to have the variety of birds visiting. Hope you dont mind me saying but if you placed a branch close to your feeders, you could get brilliant shots without the feeder becoming the focal point. The birds pretty much always land on the adjacent branch before actually jumping onto the feeders, regards Brian

Just to the right of the feeder is the fence and behind that is the bushes. Most of the birds except the tits come through the bushes on to the fence and then the feeder. Reason being the sparrowhawks. If there is anything in the open that is well used, they target it. I used to have another feeder on my shed but had to take it down as the sparrowhawks were literally taking the birds off it as they had a clear run at speed. If they attack this feeder the birds have a chance to get into the bushes. Think its why I have so many birds. :)

They still get their share though. :(

I personally don't mind the sparrow hawks taking one or two from around my feeder, I just wish they would target those thieving evil bars****s the jackdaws and magpies that abound around here.

:fox:

I personally don't mind the sparrow hawks taking one or two from around my feeder, I just wish they would target those thieving evil bars****s the jackdaws and magpies that abound around here.

I have a Larsen trap for Magpies. Not a pleasant job but 100% effective............. :yes:

I have seen enough young defenseless birds and distressed parents up here to use it.

Yep they are vicious gits. Seen them taking the chicks out the nests around here. We have a resident pair of crows (strange pairing of a black and a hoodie) and they tend to keep the magpies away. Also have a pair of buzzards nest about a couple of hundred yards behind the house who do their bit. The fights between the buzzards and the crows are fierce. Normally the buzzards allow themselves to be chased but when their yearly chick is starting to fly they are so protective and even the crows back off. Great to watch.

Went for a very pleasant walk around the ponds at Frensham Common, near Farnham, Surrey yesterday. It's a weird place...it feels like you're on the coast: there are kids building sand castles, several cordoned off safe areas for swimming...and loads of sand. There is also a lot of bird life, including this rather too friendly swan who spotted us on the shore and immediately paddles over to see us....

Frensham%20Common%2020150217%2012.jpg

Frensham%20Common%2020150217%2013.jpg

Frensham%20Common%2020150217%2014.jpg

Frensham%20Common%2020150217%2015.jpg

Frensham%20Common%2020150217%2016.jpg

Okay mate - costs you a sandwich per photo. Pay up or I break your arm.

Corvids are reputed to taste very bad. They are rarely eaten by anything else, including humans. Shame really, 'cos there are thousands of them around here.

Todays rota. The siskins have arrived en masse accompanied by a few chiffchaffs. One can be seen hanging on the feeder in the second pic.

Interested to hear that there are chiffchaffs already - always a nice sign of spring. From the photo you have goldfinches as well as siskins? Do you see any redpolls? Usually siskin and goldfinch means you have some pine trees around, and that often attracts redpoll also.