• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Nigelp

Porsche

IMG_1667447218221028_zpsb2vhubqt.jpeg

A couple of times I've been sat in a 911 with cash in my pocket and ended up buying something else but hey ho maybe one day

:)

Gemballa 996 meets Gambella 635 nice 16603213291_079c2c2a9f_c.jpg

IMG_1667447218221028_zpsb2vhubqt.jpeg

A couple of times I've been sat in a 911 with cash in my pocket and ended up buying something else but hey ho maybe one day

:)

Gemballa 996 meets Gambella 635 nice 16603213291_079c2c2a9f_c.jpg

Loved these 80's "Wide Boy" motors, had a Rieger XR3i convertible back in the day. Not quite a Merc or BMW but the idea was there

:lol: :lol:

I worked out in the Middle East back in the early 90's and every carpark was littered with these over the top custom wide Mercs, Porsches, Lambos and the like. All money and no taste although even today I could live with a kitted 560SEC

:grin:

:yes: this would be me its for sale but its £30k :) 16579044216_9f683c3c5a_o.jpgFlickr16605032355_800681b7d4_o.jpg16419188959_59d0082cba_o.jpg

Awesome

Think about it this way, you can't take it with you, when your tea's out all you'll need is a cheap suit and rich or poor you're box will be roughly the same size as everyone elses so you may as well go for sh!t or bust and buy it

Loved these 80's "Wide Boy" motors, had a Rieger XR3i convertible back in the day. Not quite a Merc or BMW but the idea was there

My 88 E30 M3 evo still rated as the best handling road car ever produced by some motoring journalists , they are pretty special and i regret selling it , as the prices continue to rise i would probably never be able to buy another one now , my grail car is the 911 though , maybe one day

DSCN0437.jpg

DSCN0435.jpg

My 88 E30 M3 evo still rated as the best handling road car ever produced by some motoring journalists , they are pretty special and i regret selling it , as the prices continue to rise i would probably never be able to buy another one now , my grail car is the 911 though , maybe one day

DSCN0437.jpg

DSCN0435.jpg

Fantastic bm my first car when i was 17 was this very 80's 635 i got it in 1989, it was really tail happy constantly on opposite lock and i oncespun it 360 degress on an icy road right outside the police hq in Leeds back in about 1991. Excuse the very 80's suit I had to wear dodgy gear like that when doing my articles to be a solicitor...yawn any how heres my old 635...tbh i loved it but was glad to get shut thats the great thing in life there is always something better to have a go at :D 15988841744_e468e84c65_o.jpg16611012885_5aea6edf39_o.jpg16425208999_92fb136e25_o.jpg16609868681_5f39d387fe_o.jpg...for a time it was off the road that much for repairs i bought the red one as a stand in and it was the fastest bathtub in town leaked like a sieve :lol: :lol: :lol: Edited by Nigelp

Yep M3 Evo, usually seen behind an RS500 Cosworth

I never bought into this "Ultimate Driving Machine" blurb I have driven a few 80/90's Beemers and they weren't anything special, those old 3 series were evil handling death traps. My boss actually managed to put one of those 3 series on its roof and one of the office girls sent his 535 down a motorway slip road backwards after giving it to much of a foot full on the accelerator pedal.

Anyway back to proper cars

Porsche_911_Turbo_Flatnose_zps55tigwld.jpg

So who's cashing in their pension and blowing it on that old car you always wanted

Tempting !!!

You'll need deep pockets or a big pension pot but what a car

http://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/358/Historic-Touring-Cars/listings/33961/FORD-SIERRA-RS500-TEXACO-EGGENBERGER-GRP-A-RACECAR.html

Yeah they had some good battles but i think they did ok ;-) got some great video footage from those 80s touring car races , from when i frequented the S14 forum

Edited by andyclient

Yeah they had some good battles but i think they did ok ;-) got some great video footage from those 80s touring car races , from when i frequented the S14 forum

Fair comment, people mock the fix or repair daily but FORD & Cosworth have a combined motorsport history that BMW can only dream of.

IMG_712084096493615_zpsiselwsqp.jpeg

Is that a Beemer in the background ???

I never bought into this "Ultimate Driving Machine" blurb I have driven a few 80/90's Beemers and they weren't anything special, those old 3 series were evil handling death traps. My boss actually managed to put one of those 3 series on its roof and one of the office girls sent his 535 down a motorway slip road backwards after giving it to much of a foot full on the accelerator pedal.

Anyway back to proper cars

Porsche_911_Turbo_Flatnose_zps55tigwld.jpg

So who's cashing in their pension and blowing it on that old car you always wanted

Tempting !!!

flat nose LE :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

16402931788_aa4e2198e5_b.jpg

I like the look of the Rover ? in the background. I've always liked Rover cars.

Mike

Rover?...Its a V8 Jag :)

Ok back to topic Porsche...I agree BM's are less than cracked up to be never returned to one after those 635's and a few 7's dad had very nice looking but feel ordinary in comparison to Porsche and the big Jags...Ok the best porsche imho..Strosek modified 1995 GTS 16590215066_5243d8dfa7_b.jpg

Started off Porsche ownership with a 944 (first of the oval dash ones). Then got a 911 Carrera 3.2, which I kept for 18 years, and still miss. Also had a 928 S4 at the time, which probably felt the most "special" of any car I've owned - every time you got it in it felt like an occasion. My wife had a 924 and two 924S's, so at one point we had 5 Porsches in the house!

These days it's BMW (E39 M5 and E85 Z4M Roadster), though I'm seriously tempted by a 996 Turbo.

996 Turbo are great value and the 997 are coming down nicely...but for a great starter 911 something like this is hard to argue with for around £8,000 a quick look in most classifieds reveals plenty of choice in circa 2000 mdl year. Amazing really 911's used to have good residuals now they are pretty cheap if you know where to look 16006228813_d217dbf6ac.jpg

996 Turbo are great value and the 997 are coming down nicely...but for a great starter 911 something like this is hard to argue with for around £8,000 a quick look in most classifieds reveals plenty of choice in circa 2000 mdl year. Amazing really 911's used to have good residuals now they are pretty cheap if you know where to look 16006228813_d217dbf6ac.jpg

The early 996s were always going to struggle long term with residuals... They never were as pretty as the previous cars and being the first batch of the new era of water cooled models this was doomed to be the lowest of residual price points. Whereas the 993 values keep on strengthening. With all 996 turbos being "2nd generation" 996s which also benefit from a stronger engine block and oil seal, they still keep a decent value and will probably start to rise at some point...

Often consider changing my Mrs C4S for a 996T!

Cheerz

Mark H

It's the old story with one of those cheap 996's you might be lucky on the other hand if it goes pop you might be bankrupted..

They might be had for £8/£10k but you are servicing and maintaining a £50k+ motor even just a proper set of tyres will cost more than a whole Mondeo, Del Boys beware.

It's the old story with one of those cheap 996's you might be lucky on the other hand if it goes pop you might be bankrupted..

They might be had for £8/£10k but you are servicing and maintaining a £50k+ motor even just a proper set of tyres will cost more than a whole Mondeo, Del Boys beware.

Quite right.

Tyres for the C4S (Turbo fitment) are about £900 for 4 and that's a decent set of N-rated tyres. Of course you could shop around and find more expensive if you wanted to.

I'd expect a normal 996 to be a little less expensive than that.

In the big scheme of sports cars that isn't too bad, considering. Particularly compared to modern runflats!

Parts, on the other hand are relatively expensive, but no more than a common or garden diesel Audi saloon!

Some expenses that might make you gulp:

Clutch - circa £2k.

Discs and pads all round - £700 is a good price.

Front radiators (can be prone to rot due to leaf debris collecting in the rad duct and holding moisture) - £500 per radiator.

Rear Main Seal (not uncommon, but not the inevitability that some would lead you to believe!) - about £1, but fitting circa £1000 engine out labour costs.

New engine - £16k.

Overall, they are exceptionally well engineered cars and this is the reason for the price tag.

Edited by Rampant

:yes: the risky bit is the fun bit.... :lol: :lol: :lol: first service my 3 thousand 928S2 needed cost...3 thousand then i belted about in it for 2 years not a care in the world then it went pop with a lot of oil smoke but...a lot of fun for 6 thousand oh plus quiet a few tyres :partytime:

Currently have these two...

A very early 993

Built in 1993 and hence a 'Rest of the World' spec as many of the first few thousand built were.

I'll post a few more details at some point regarding spec and history.

Supplied by a Singapore dealer and spent its first few years there before coming into the uk

Has a few mods already.....

Updated and lowered suspension

Turbo front bumper

18 inch Turbo Twists

Discreet rear spoiler and third brake light

FCFA718C-9B57-4D21-92E4-A926CD32217A-1770-00000240EF7F2797_zpsd1dc8cfd.jpg

5456686C-60DE-40D2-85AA-BEBD8451FDD4-587-0000001D272DD3AB_zps6d4e0882.jpg