• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
William_Wilson

Services: The extra posh ServiceS elite owners club!!!!!

I don`t know how I missed this but it`s good to see that there are people out there with great taste :notworthy::toot:

It`ll take me sometime to sort out  photos of my collection so watch this space :partytime:

• Like 1

Before posting my collection I thought I`d just remind people of the information I`ve gathered on Services...

The Services Watch Co., Ltd was founded in Leicester by a Frank Liquorish sometime in 1926/27, it was dissolved on 26/11/2002 although I gather from Steve Burrage who used to work for the company that Services watches stopped being produced in the late 1970s.The company never actually made watches themselves instead they either had them made by other firms or bought parts in which were then assembled in the Services factory.

The earliest Services watch I`ve so far come across was made in 1927 using a 15 jewel movement made by the Fleurier Watch Company, Switzerland it was fitted in an Edinburgh hallmarked silver case. However during the early years & up to WWII one of their main suppliers appears to have been Thiel Brothers of Thuringia who made complete watches (pocket & wrist) for them. At first these appear to have been marked on the dial as `German Made` changing over to `Foreign` or `Foreign Made` probably by the end of the decade. So far the German Services watches of this period I have come across seem to have simple but sturdy unjeweled pin-pallet movements. In addition to Thiel Brothers sometime in the early/mid 1930s Services appear to have begun sourcing watches from The Oris Watch Company Switzerland this arrangement continued into the 1950s, there may have been other suppliers but I can not confirm that at this time, some were marked as being `Swiss Made`others were like those from Thiel marked `Foreign`. Despite the company name I have so far  not come across any indictation that Services watches were actually issued to any members of the armed forces although some `Transport` models were used by the Air Raid Precaution wardens during WWII.

Initially after the end of WWII the company continued to source from Switzerland (the Oris Watch Company),  for some reason these  continued to be marked as `Foreign`. Possibly due to restrictions on importing `luxury` goods during the early 1950s Services switched to UK based suppliers such as Louis Newmark Ltd., Perfect Works,Stafford Road, Croydon, Surrey (marked Made in England`) & later by the Anglo-Celtic Watch Co.Ltd., Gurnos Works, Ystradgynlais, Wales when they are usually marked as being `Made In Gt Britain` (or similar).While most Services watches from this period used un-jewelled movements  there were a few 5 Jeweled models. From around the early/mid 1950s Services begain again sourcing from abroad, their range including a chronograph using a 17 Jewel Venus movement (there had been at least two other Swiss made chronographs made in the 1930s). From the 1950s until Services ceased production they produced watches sourced or using parts from Switzerland, Britain, France, East & West Germany, Russia & Hong Kong.

NB this information is based on observation, research done at the Leicester Reference Library & talking to Steve Burridge, an ex-Services employee.

The chart below shows the different logo styles Services used over the years.

services-dates.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I don`t know how I missed this but it`s good to see that there are people out there with great taste :notworthy::toot:

It`ll take me sometime to sort out  photos of my collection so watch this space :partytime:

You missed it a week or so ago when I was asking for movement identification on the Navigator.

• Like 1

Ok, in (mostly) chronological order (photos obviously not to same scale)...

"Services"  "airman" `Swiss Made` (by the Fleurier Watch Company),15 Jewel 13 ligne movement, silver case, circa 1926/7.

70a8ae02-1338-4da0-9a46-0a2900fd07cd_zpsrwho2y9b.jpg.4056a4223aadbc39f561981322ed88cc.jpg

"Services" Sports, `Lumed dial` `German Made`  circa late 1920s & `Plain dial` `Foreign` circa mid 1930s. ( both made by Thiel Brothers, Thuringia, Germany)

ServicesDSC_0912_zpsb402d362.gif.25a274e42303715169f615ca4cafeab9.gif

Sterile dial plus "ServicesDESPATCH RIDERS, COMPETITORS & an INDIAN ARMY (with `Plain` & `Lumed`,  12 & 24  hour dials),  `Davina`un-jeweled, pin-lever movements, circa late 1920s/early 1930s. Some marked as being `FOREIGN MADE` others as `GERMAN MADE` All made by Thiel Brothers, Thuringia, Germany.

ServicesDSC_0486_zpsca16f6f7.thumb.gif.5132dd21484ae75a447e0eaad4131fac.gif

Bottom left shown here with it`s  original box & guarantee..

"Services" DESPATCH RIDER `24 Hour Dial` (made in Germany by Thiel Brothers Thuringia), circa late 1920s

ServicesDSC_0056-1.thumb.jpg.ddf59f890dca1a3f3e0e4ea875854394.jpg

1933 Flight Magazine "Services"advert.

Unclassified-Misc-1933-1234.jpg.c088d7f8003ca088673f16400569407f.jpg

ServiceIndian `Foreign` (Swiss Made), silver case,15 jewel movement, circa 1937

ServicesDSC_0565_zps69d952ba.thumb.gif.27868a80e85f2829073e73cbac274c70.gif

Services HENDON, `FOREIGN MADE` (by Oris Switzerland) cal. 200g 4 Jewels, circa 1937

ServicesDSC_0091_zpse7a1ca44.thumb.gif.6ac3321e2720e4cbcabb9133ffcb9fd0.gif

"ServiceS" AERISTs (Plain Dials. Listed as AIr Wrists in the catalogue above), `FOREIGN`(made by Thiel Brothers,Thuringia, Germany) unjeweled pin-pallet, circa early/ mid 1930s.

ServicesAeristpairDSC_0067_zpsdf6feb75.gif.6a8c6c5fa326ba2f96ce5f47bdbbe4f1.gif

As mentioned earlier - `Transport` models were used by the Air Raid Precaution wardens during WWII.

"ServiceS"`TRANSPORT` (A.R.P.) FOREIGN MADE (by Thiel Brothers,  Thuringia, Germany) circa mid 1930s.

Services-Transport-DSC_0128_zpsuutz6aub.gif.1654a47914f14f6da4fbbb00188ff7cd.gif

Right, that`s enough for one day, check in tomorrow for the next exciting episode :biggrin:

image.thumb.png.0623e8880f08b4994fc5ced2fd36a2d9.png

More to follow - watch this space.:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Keep em coming!  Although my fave has always been the ARP you just posted (very railmaster-esque, or perhaps the railmaster is very Transport-esque??)

A 'wearable' size by today's standards if I remember correctly. I regret letting one go which came up on eBay a few years back.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, it`s one of my favourites :thumbsup:

Anyway getting back to the matter in hand here`s a few which I should have posted earlier  as they are now out of sequence..

"ServiceS" AIR WRIST (Plain Dial), `GERMAN MADE` (by Thiel Bros., Thuringia) unjeweled pin-pallet,circa late 1920s.

ServicesDSC_0043-1.jpg.8442a42a477c6162712d87280313ced1.jpg

"ServiceS" AIR WRIST `Plain Dial` & `Lumed Dial` ` GERMAN MADE` (by Thiel Bros., Thuringia) unjeweled pin-pallets, circa late 1920s.

ServicesDSC_0040.jpg.8dca9e87ccf149d8db5f0fc7e3c3b995.jpg

More to come later  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Part 3...

"ServiceS" `GOLF`  `FOREIGN MADE`( by the Oris Watch Company Switzerland) 4 jewels, circa early/mid 1930s..

ServicesGolf2IMG_8293.jpg

The name and design  of this next watch would indicate it was aimed at the ladies but it`s much larger then the Services women`s watches that I`ve come across or seen in advertising of the period which would seem to  indicate that it was meant to be a man`s watch  blink_zpsbjhdc0wn.gif

"ServiceS" DIANE `FOREIGN` (made by Thiel Brothers, Thuringia, Germany) circa early/mid 1930s

ServicesDianeDSC_0003.jpg

"ServiceS" AIRMAN `FOREIGN MADE`(by Oris, Switzerland) cal.260 4 jewels, circa early/mid 1930s.

ServicesAirmanDSC_0005.jpg

"ServiceS" DROITWICH & COMPETITOR (`Plain Dial`, FOREIGN MADE (by Thiel Brothers, Germany),unjeweled pin-pallet movements,circa early/mid 1930s

DSC_0389-Droitwich--Compet.jpg

"ServiceS" ONTIME, (`Lumed Dial`)`FOREIGN MADE` (by Thiel Bros., Thuringia  Germany),unjeweled pin-pallet movement,circa early/mid 1930s.

ServicesOntimeDSC_0030.jpg

"ServiceS" COLONIAL (`Lumed Dial`)`FOREIGN` (made by Thiel Bros.,  Thuringia, Germany) circa early/mid 1930s.

ServicesDSC_0009-2.jpg

"ServiceS" MARINE `FOREIGN` ( made by Thiel Bros., Thuringia, Germany) circa early/mid 1930s.

ServicesMarineDSC_0009.jpg

"ServiceS" NAVIGATOR,(`Plain Dial`)  FOREIGN MADE(by Thiel Bros., Thuringia, Germany) unjeweled pin-pallet, circa early/mid-1930s.

ServicesDSC_0061-1.jpg

"ServiceS" COLONIAL , FOREIGN MADE (by Thiel Bros Germany),unjeweled pin-pallet movement,circa mid 1930s

ServicesColonialDSC_0022.jpg

"ServiceS" DESPATCH RIDER, `FOREIGN MADE` (by Thiel Brothers, Thuringia, Germany),unjeweled pin-pallet movement,circa early/mid 1930s.

ServicesDSC_0031-2.jpg

I haven`t a clue why I`ve got two examples of this slightly later version..

ServiceS DESPATCH RIDERs, `FOREIGN MADE` (by Thiel Bros., Germany),unjeweled pin-pallet movement,circa mid/late 1930s.

ServicesDRtwinsDSC_0082_zps998410f7.gif

ServiceS AIRMAN `FOREIGN MADE`(in Switzerland) Oris cal.260 4 jewels,circa mid/late 1930s.

ServicesDSC_0059.jpg

ServiceS ROSSALL `FOREIGN MADE` ( In Switzerland by The Oris watch Co.,), circa late 1930s/40s

ServicesRossallDSC_0001m_zpsbeed05e3.gif

(photos not all to same scale).

Anyway,that`s all for now, keep tuned in for the next riveting instalment :biggrin:

• Like 2

20160520_132240.jpg

20160520_132137.jpg

Services Navigator, second hand fallen off. Movement marked Services watch co. Swiss made. Does say who actually made it.

• Like 1

Part 4

Services AERIST (Plain Dial) `FOREIGN MADE` (by Oris Switzerland) cal.291 4 Jewels, circa late 1940s

ServicesDSC_0049.jpg

Services AERIST (Plain Dial) `FOREIGN MADE` (by Oris Switzerland) cal.291 4 Jewels, circa late 1940s/early 1950s.

ServicesDSC_0050.jpg

Services AERIST (Lumed Dial) `FOREIGN MADE` (by Oris Switzerland) cal.291 4 Jewels, circa late 1940s/early 1950s.

ServicesDSC_0051-1.jpg

Adverts from 1949 (left)& 1951 (right)

ServicesIMG_0008.jpgServicesIMG_0006.jpg

Services DAVENTRY   `FOREIGN MADE` (by Oris Switzerland) cal.291 4 Jewels, circa late 1940s/early 1950s.

ServicesDSC_0124_zps21fe142f.gif

• Like 1

WOW, What a fantastic thread!! I have, for some reason, only just looked at this thread and I am a Services watch owner, courtesy of scottswatches, as well as the owner of a vintage Services mechanical travel alarm clock. The material on this thread is really interesting and useful, and thanks so much to all those who have contributed to it.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Always"watching" said:

WOW, What a fantastic thread!! I have, for some reason, only just looked at this thread and I am a Services watch owner, courtesy of scottswatches, as well as the owner of a vintage Services mechanical travel alarm clock. The material on this thread is really interesting and useful, and thanks so much to all those who have contributed to 

Pics please

• Like 1

Once I get my arm fixed, I will be able to locate and dust off my camera. I have found it increasingly difficult recently to use my good right arm and hand for anything much, and it is only by careful arm/hand positioning and the fact that my computer keyboard doesn't require hard pressure to operate the keys, that i can write posts and search out relevant illustrations. I do apologise for this, and I also apologise to Kristina for the carrier bags on my floor which contain watches that I haven't been able to clean etc.. My pre-op assessment for the arm is TOMORROW, and hopefully the actual surgery will follow shortly.:) 

• Like 1

You have no need to apologise, they are only watches (jumps behind sofa to avoid being struck by large heavy objects thrown by irrate TWF members) 

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow :thumbsup:

• Like 1