• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
dobra

MuDu Owners Club

Mine cost £3 in a charity shop. Cleaned and polished, after a slow start, it now keeps time within a couple of minutes a day. Also 20 microns of gold plate in A1 condition.Rumour was, a batch was off-loaded at Southampton docks, and sold in pubs and clubs. Other rumours include Bristol docks and French onion sellers on bicyclettes doing a touch of smuggling. :nono:

Mike

• Like 1

I have one which I clumsily dropped six feet on to a quarry tiled floor :wacko: The balance wheel shaft broke and it's languished with the other broken ones for years now!! :(

John :smile:

Assume it has a similar movement to the Favre Leuba in the sales section? Twin mainsprings for extended running time..

Mike

Assume it has a similar movement to the Favre Leuba in the sales section? Twin mainsprings for extended running time..

Mike

No Mike i'm assuming guessing that the Doublematic was kind of the same as the bidynator (excuse my spelling lol) and so called as the auto mechanism wound in both directions , it doesn't have 2 barrels.

cheers

Andy

• Like 2

Nice quality watches. I have a small collection of doublematics (25) started by my dad who bought one new in 1960 "from a bloke in the pub" The fact that there are now replicas being sold must be a credit to them, I hope one day someone in Switzerland will come forward with information of their origins.

There have been many urban myths about origins of the brand.

Over the years I have raised this subject with noble bodies both here & in Switzerland but have gleaned no substantive evidence.

Whatever their true origins they 'still' remain IMHO a remarkable timepiece for the pittance one can be obtained for today.

After all, many 50+ year old used & abused models are still ticking away nicely! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

these are great watches with an interesting story behind them......(you imagine the guy with the pencil line moustache revealing his wares displayed on the lining of his overcoat lol).....that said.....they all seem to have really good swiss movements and are great to collect as they all seem to have different faces.......here are 2 of mine

IMG_20190213_130411

3o jewel AS 1700 movement

IMG_20190213_130645

30 jewel felsa 4002 movement.....sorry bout awful pics lol

Hello,

I have recently come into the possession of my Grandads 17 Jewel MuDu watch. Please can anyone give me advice about how to wind it so that I don't overwind it and do some damage. Thanks. 

Overwinding is a bit of a myth. Crown should turn easily to wind it ( if not something wrong inside ). When you come against resistance,  the watch is wound.

Thanks for the quick reply. I also seem to recall someone saying you should only set the time by moving hands forward (not back) on a watch like this. Is that true?

Moving the hands back is generally ok. If it has a date, that mechanism engages between 10pm and midnight.  So if moving hands back past midnight I'd continue on to move back past 10pm to clear the mechanism,  then move forward if required.